Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
SGV Rookie

Newport Harbor 110609

Hit the water for two hours and caught two spotted bass in the "Spot" and accidentally drifted into the grass. As I pulled out of the grass I noticed the line coming off of my trolling rod which had a Storm 5" mackarel bouncing around on the bottom. I lifted the rod and started feeling the head shakes that everyone talks about. I landed a nice legal halibut (First one ever for me) CPR only today. It was a great two hours.
Attached Images

SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
cjthomas

sweeet!
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
NextBite

nice job!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
young mola

kudos on the cpr good karma
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
SeaEagle_1

another place you should try is a bit farther up the back bay at a place i call "the bottleneck". its where the road comes right up to the water and the bay narrows to about 50yrds. there are always big bass there and lots of time big halibut too.

but nice couple of hours on the water! you did real good. and nice halie too!
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Ohana

Those spotted bay bass are a lot of fun on light casting gear. I hope to get some on fly gear next time I go out.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
SGV Rookie

Second Try

Going out tomorrow 110809 with my two girls. We will be out there in a Malibu 2XL . Planning on hitting the water at 6 ish. Hope to see some of you out there.

Dave
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
bentrod1

Congrats on your first legal hali!

I thought my first one was a dead body until he saw the boat and took off
Nice fish
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Fish4Fun

Where is the "Spot"

Hi

I am new to Kayak fishing and have been trying out the Newport Harbor. Where is the "Spot" that everyone is refering to? Appreciate any tips. Is the the Newport Backbay area (sort of north/east of PCH?)
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
SGV Rookie

The spot

There are several spots! I've had luck just using the fish finder and watching for changes in elevations (drop offs). Also it's good times on a out going tide with a good drop in water levels. I go out ther once a month and get lucky every other time. Try just north of the aquatic center! It's a good little spot for spotties. Make sure you put them back to get fat. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
Fish4Fun

The Spot

Thanks for your reply. IT is much appreciated. I kayaked there (near the NAC) once with my daughter with a yak rented from the NAC. Around the NAC, where do u launch your yak? Can u launch your own yak at the NAC?

Chris
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
wiseguy

Very Nice! But next time rotate the pictures, my neck hurts!
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
cjthomas

Yes, you can launch any "hand carried vessel" from the NAC, but I'm pretty sure there is a MPA right there that ends at the first private cove.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
SGV Rookie

Possible Restrictions

I was out with my girls throwing lures just pass where the road meets the water and summons by two seventy year old volunteer fish and game people. They told me I could not be north of the first bend at the NAC. They said they are protected waters. I advised them that I had not seen any signs or anything on the DFG website, The website mentions fish taken on Hook and Line with no removal of kelp or sea weed. There funny response was that the sign was removed when they did the dredging and never replaced it. This was the first time I have been talked to in that area. They stopped a kayaker that was in a hand made cedar kayak and told him to get out of there too. The man in that kayak came up to me and said he grew up there and has kayak into the back almost everyday and never heard of such a thing. A fisherman on the shore by the road and water said he has been checked by DFG for his license and never told he could not fish there.

I still have not found anything on the website and the NAC workers had no idea. (Nac Kayaks and canoe things are always up north) If anyone knows of the restrictions maybe you can post where we can find them.

I'm all for an aquatic preserve but make it well know and avoid the doubt.

Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGV Rookie View Post
I was out with my girls throwing lures just pass where the road meets the water and summons by two seventy year old volunteer fish and game people. They told me I could not be north of the first bend at the NAC. They said they are protected waters. I advised them that I had not seen any signs or anything on the DFG website, The website mentions fish taken on Hook and Line with no removal of kelp or sea weed. There funny response was that the sign was removed when they did the dredging and never replaced it. This was the first time I have been talked to in that area. They stopped a kayaker that was in a hand made cedar kayak and told him to get out of there too. The man in that kayak came up to me and said he grew up there and has kayak into the back almost everyday and never heard of such a thing. A fisherman on the shore by the road and water said he has been checked by DFG for his license and never told he could not fish there.

I still have not found anything on the website and the NAC workers had no idea. (Nac Kayaks and canoe things are always up north) If anyone knows of the restrictions maybe you can post where we can find them.

I'm all for an aquatic preserve but make it well know and avoid the doubt.

Dave
I got this straight out of the DFG 2009 - 2010 Ocean Sport fishing regulations (pg. 64) for Newport Back Bay:

Upper Newport Bay State Marine Park (estuarine)
Species Prohibited/Recreational Fishing: All marine aquatic plants EXCEPT kelp
Species Allowed/Recreational Fishing: Kelp; Invertebrates; Finfish by hook and line

I have also fished that area and never been questioned and seen plenty of other kayakers go past me into the back bay to bird watch. While the recent BRTF map showed the back bay as planned for MPA listing this has not been implemented and from what I read this would not restrict hook and line fishing.

It appears that the volunteers were a little over zealous.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
SGV Rookie

That is what I thought

Exactly what I had read about the hook and line and no kelp. I'm going to keep fishing it. Thanks Kevin for confirming that. Were gonna have to meet up out there some time now that I have the Revo and can keep up with you.

Dave