Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Not exactly a yak report

but a late Fresh H20 report from 1/29

While watching some DVRed fishing shows a few weeks back, my daughter mentioned that I had not taken her fishing in some time.
Next thing you know, we're seeing a commercial about the Dan Hernandez Youth Foundation fishing derby at MacArthur Park.
Hmmm....

Fast forward to today.

Got the kid's loaded up and headed for the park, located about 2 miles east of downtown L.A.

Registration started at 8, but we didn't arrive until 8:30. I expected long lines and huge crowds. Luckily the volunteers assistinging Dan's organization were extremely helpful and organized. The lines never had a chance to build as they quickly were moved from registration, to the wristband station and then handed their goodie bags.

We headed towards the south side of the lake and who would we run into? None other than eluncle and seamonkey2!

Daniel looked fully recovered from his recent health scares and was anxious to wet a line. I had never fished the lake before so I asked Daniel if he had ever done so and if this area was a good spot. He gave it a thumbs up so we set up camp about 50 feet down from their site.

Not quite 9 AM (Start time) but the kid's were ready to go!

9 o'clock and Dan announces to the partipants to "start fishing!"
I barely cast out the 2 rods, when 2 minutes later...what is this??? Tap, tap, SWING! Low and behold...3 minutes into the derby we're ON THE BOARD!

In speaking with Dan this was the first stocking of trout in about 25 years. He had been pushing to get the lake on the stocking rotation and this was the first go around. We had the first fish of the derby and apparently first trout in about 25 years! That's my girl!

I had Hayley call her mom on my Blackberry to break the news to her.
"Yeah, mommy? I got a fish. The first one of the derby. Yeah. Daddy helped me a little."

Not 10 minutes later, we're on again and now Tyler is on the board! His first fish ever! Did Daddy' get a picture of it? No.

But Dan's crew who filmed and took photos of Hayley's fight with the first fish were still around and quickly joined us. They took plenty of photos and video so hopefully, I'll get a decent shot of Tyler from Dan's site.

Dan posing with the anglers of the hour. About 20 minute since start and we've got 2!

Now Tyler's ready for action!

About an hour in and we're on the board with 4 trout and the crowds are starting to build.

The 2nd hour was a bit slower, but we did manage to hook and hand off a fish to this kid who had never caught a fish before! He was stoked to say the least.

We finished off the day with Hayley hooking a fish all by herself and Tyler offering assistance with the net! I wish I could have gotten a picture but I had to hold onto Tyler to make sure he didn't fall into the water.

By 10:30 the kids had had their fill of fishing, we had 5 fish on the stringer and the parking meter was expired so it was time to go home.

I thanked Dan for a wonderful event and was interviewed by his crew before we left. Keep an eye out for the next episode of Sportfishing and you might see my mug.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

GREAT POST!!!---funny how much bigger that trout looked with your daughter holding it--instead of Dan H.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Kids and fishing! My daughter just wrote something for school titled "Bluegill Bay" It was about a trip we took to Loveland Res one afternoon around 5-6 years ago.......they remember those days forever.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
IntrntFshrman

Wow, what a great post. I just took my boys to Jess Ranch a couple of weeks ago so they could catch their first trout.... really cool since you KNOW they'll catch something and you get to show them what to watch for and see it happen within a minute or so.....

Thanks for taking the time to share!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
bubblehide

Just one word: Sweeeeeet
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Nice post. You are training your future fishing partners!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
ratdog

Great post Tommy.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Tommy,
Good for you for taking the time to nurture the future of the sport. Good stuff!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote