Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Argentcroix
Junior

Bigger sized jackets?

I know it has been brought up before, but not with any finality that I can find. Does anyone know of a semi-dry top or good paddling jacket that will fit a 56" chest and still allow for some layering? I have tried on all the xxl gear that the local stores have, and no joy. I have been told that they don't make em larger, and that the one maker that did (extrasport) is only making pfd's now. If there are none to be found, do any of the manufacturers do customs? Or are there other options to add to a pair of stocking foot waders to be dry warm and Safe? I appreciate the help!
Argentcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
WahooUSMA

There is another recent thread, I think it was started just the other day regarding this same subject. I am 6-2 and 270lbs 56in chest too, and I peddle with the this one and it is extremely comfortable. Its the Stohlquist Splashdown. I get a ration of shit from everyone calling me a pumpkin though! I think OEX has them for around $100.00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSMAN.jpg (43.8 KB, 86 views)

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Argentcroix
Junior

Thanks Wahoo. Always nice to hear from someone else that wore green for a living! I have looked at their products before, but not the splash jacket. I was looking for something that would have a more positive seal at wrist and waist to wear over my hodgemans for surf launches. I will give it a look for sure, but is that sufficient (with a belt) to keep water out in the event of getting dumped? Any other suggestions?
Argentcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentcroix View Post
Thanks Wahoo. Always nice to hear from someone else that wore green for a living! I have looked at their products before, but not the splash jacket. I was looking for something that would have a more positive seal at wrist and waist to wear over my hodgemans for surf launches. I will give it a look for sure, but is that sufficient (with a belt) to keep water out in the event of getting dumped? Any other suggestions?

I've dumped before with it on and yes, you do get a little wet, but not much. I wear it over my hodgemans and the only time I would see there being an issue is if you got tumbled in the surf. Trick is "don't get dumped" LMAO. Surf launches/landings with it on are not a problem - not an ounce of water inside, even when taking chest high surf. For me, its all about the comfort, and this jacket is the ticket.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote