Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Argentcroix
Junior

"That Guy"

So as a total newbie to kayaking and drowning bait off one, I am interested in finding out what are the major "no-no's" that you see people do. I am not talking so much about techniques or equipment choices as much as being on the water with a bunch of other folks and not being a major detraction to the experience. While I recognize that everyone has their own pet peeves, and I might get as many answers as people reading this board ('course thats kinda the point ), I am interested to know what people think is "good manners" out on the water, and what things people do that cause issues. In the interest of not re-creating the wheel, and learning from other's experience, what makes your list?
Argentcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
JoeBeck

I've only had one thing that has bothered me during fishing and that is someone coming up and seeing if I have caught fish while their and my line was out causing us to tangle up. Nothing I get too upset about and quick to fix but worth mentioning. I have had boats do worst where they come to talk to me and then motor across where my line is catching it in their props, take off causing me to have to snap my line. Frustrating! I'd say if you want to talk close to someone reel in your line (this is what I do) or pay attention to where both your lines are. Be careful going up behind someones kayak while they are trolling.

Besides that everyone is out there to have a good time, so enjoy yourself and the surroundings around you. Everyone I have met on the water besides the sail boat lady on SD bay have been good friendly people.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Deamon

Bugging with other yakkers is usually a pretty cool deal. I've met several this year and each has been alright. Respectful, helpful, freely offering extra bait or some of their secrets...At the begining of the season when it was just plain CROWDED, some boaters just flat out don't respect the yakkers. Not a whole helluva lot you can do about that one...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
wade

#1 get those damn commercial buoys out of the jewel!!!!!!

#2 when it isnt crowded, and people still drive (yaks) up behind my flylines or following me too close or fowling me up!?...
drives me CRAZY!?!?!!?!?!.........give some distance.. its the pacific, not lake murry! then again its only going to get worse soon..

speaking of which..im dreading the outcome in Oct when the season reopens with the new closures in place...i can only imagine the commercial will be then set up even worse in "OUR" zone..

ARrrrRRrRrGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

As Joe said, one should always be aware if where the other guy's line is. If you plan to cross someone's path to the stern, ask if the other guy has a line out. Similarly, if you cross in front of someone while trolling, be mindful of where your line is.

Drifting can be another problem. It is easy to drift into someone's space which can lead to tangled lines. It is a big ocean, just be respectful of everyone who is using it.

Of course there is the ultimate sin of cracking open a cold beer and not offering some to the rest of the fleet. If you get caught doing that, you might have to duck a few errant casts from thirsty yakfishers nearby. Most new guys usually fill the back hatch with a case or two of cold ones, just to be safe.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
#1 get those damn commercial buoys out of the jewel!!!!!!

#2 when it isnt crowded, and people still drive (yaks) up behind my flylines or following me too close or fowling me up!?...
drives me CRAZY!?!?!!?!?!.........give some distance.. its the pacific, not lake murry! then again its only going to get worse soon..

speaking of which..im dreading the outcome in Oct when the season reopens with the new closures in place...i can only imagine the commercial will be then set up even worse in "OUR" zone..

ARrrrRRrRrGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's just cause they want to be in your next video...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Argentcroix
Junior

Lol ....taking notes here Bob. Help put me on fish and the cerveza shall flow
Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
wade

for the really new guys, try & visualize where someones lines might be and dont cross over them..
On some packed days it really helps out to use a little common sense.. if your driving on top of a guys flylines, he wont get bit..
i give a yell sometimes to others, and ask em' "what rig u running?" & "how far back" out of common courtesy..
take current into consideration also..I personally wont drive up into a guys "zone" and will paddle completely around him to get to my desired destination..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
taggermike

Here's one; stay away from the party boats. That includes the chumm line off the stern and the free fly iron zone off the bow. I know they come in on us but don't play tit for tat. I've seen guys so close to the stern of the New Seaforth poaching thier chumm line. That makes all of us look bad. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
GregAndrew

I agree with Wade, it is not only the lines but the fishing area behind someone trolling or drifting with a flylined bait that you should be careful of. Particularly when you are new to paddling (slap chopping) and/or when the are around. and don't cutoff their route as they troll or drift.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentcroix View Post
Lol ....taking notes here Bob. Help put me on fish and the cerveza shall flow
I've been told that the Darkhorse will fish for beer, (plus a small consulting fee). You can't do better than that.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Argentcroix
Junior

Thanks all for the replies. Hopefully I won't make too much of a hash of it when I venture out of the bay. Now to scratch up a case of modelo and find that darkhorse guy.....
See you guys out there.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
So as a total newbie to kayaking and drowning bait off one, I am interested in finding out what are the major "no-no's" ?
I find taking a crap in anothers bait tank is totally out of line. Unless they fish a stealth...
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
mtnbykr2

now that was a crack up....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Matt
Support your local pangas

I'd say this simply if you think your doing something wrong ya probably are.

Common courtesy goes a long, long, long way with everyone be it skiff guys, kayakers, commercial boats, sport boats etc....

If you see someone fishing just off of the kelp please don't paddle between their boat and the kelp.(they may have a chum line or having been fishing that area for hours and you can scare spooky wsb's away with paddle strokes or a plop of an iron) Yes this may mean you have too paddle a bit farther, but it will pay off as your own fishing area will be respected.

Don't approach boats via the stern as chances are that, that is where they may have a majority of their lines at times.

A good general rule of thumb is too never fish within iron casting distance of another boat or yakker (at times it's hard and spots will be packed full, just use common sense and courtesy as a good guide).

The trolling line ideas listed above and avoiding tangles are pretty solid rules of thumb.

If the fishing is in super tight quarters with boats or yaks it's never a bad idea to say hello and ask if they are ok with your distance from them.

You don't need a guide although it can be quite helpful ya may just wanna read through some of the how to articles from guys like Pat, Iceman and Brian on the oex page and give it a go yourself. Also use the search function and read, read, read!!! There's a ton of info available on this and other websites that you'll find very helpful!!

Also if your hooping or fishing at night a 360 degree light is required but at the very freekin' least where a headlamp!!!! Trust me yaks are hard to see as it is from aboat so wear a
light of some kind.

Also don't report other peoples fish this is seen as a huge DO NOT by most.

Lastly A little common courtesy and respect goes along way towards possibly getting passed some live bait or intel freely. It also may help with avoiding tangles and if your fish does tangle an anchor line or wrap a lobster buoy you may find a helpful fisherman more than willing to give you a hand. Also if ya see someone on a fish and you have lines down ya may want to reel them in if his fish is pulling him towards you as then a tangle is possibly avoided and that act of courtesy will probably make ya a new friend ( I know I'd certainly say thanks and introduce myself, I also know a friendly smile and wave goes a long way in general boat or yak)

have fun fishing!!

Last edited by Matt; 02-02-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling wanted to post about lights
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I find taking a crap in anothers bait tank is totally out of line. Unless they fish a stealth...

Sure looks like a crapper to me.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'd say this simply if you think your doing something wrong ya probably are.

Common courtesy goes a long, long, long way with everyone be it skiff guys, kayakers, commercial boats, sport boats etc....

If you see someone fishing just off of the kelp please don't paddle between their boat and the kelp.(they may have a chum line or having been fishing that area for hours and you can scare spooky wsb's away with paddle strokes or a plop of an iron) Yes this may mean you have too paddle a bit farther, but it will pay off as your own fishing area will be respected.

Don't approach boats via the stern as chances are that, that is where they may have a majority of their lines at times.

A good general rule of thumb is too never fish within iron casting distance of another boat or yakker (at times it's hard and spots will be packed full, just use common sense and courtesy as a good guide).

The trolling line ideas listed above and avoiding tangles are pretty solid rules of thumb.

If the fishing is in super tight quarters with boats or yaks it's never a bad idea to say hello and ask if they are ok with your distance from them.

You don't need a guide although it can be quite helpful ya may just wanna read through some of the how to articles from guys like Pat, Iceman and Brian on the oex page and give it a go yourself. Also use the search function and read, read, read!!! There's a ton of info available on this and other websites that you'll find very helpful!!

Also don't report other peoples fish this is seen as a huge DO NOT by most.

Lastly A little common courtesy and respect goes along way towards possibly getting passed some live bait or intel freely. It also may help with avoiding tangles and if your fish does tangle an anchor line or wrap a lobster buoy you may find a helpful fisherman more than willing to give you a hand. Also if ya see someone on a fish and you have lines down ya may want to reel them in if his fish is pulling him towards you as then a tangle is possibly avoided and that act of courtesy will probably make ya a new friend ( I know I'd certainly say thanks and introduce myself, I also know a friendly smile and wave goes a long way in general boat or yak)

have fun fishing!!
I think this pretty much covers it. I have seen a few posts that covered parts of what you stated but you stated it all. Good job. For sure if someone catches a fish, for sure don't post up their fish unless they say it's O.K. and it's a part of YOUR report for the day. That person may not want to report that fish being caught.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
chris138
donkey roper

2 cents

Also if you see a group of kayakers fishing in a general area and they are not under-way (trolling), chances are they are fishing bait or structure down deep. It is good practice not to troll your greenback through the middle of the group. Nothing like flylining a mackeral through a wideopen squidbite!

A good thing to do is just bring in your lines and paddle up to the group quietly. Then just listen. If someone is hooked up you'll probably know it. An angler on a fish has priority and you should pay attention to where his/her fish is going and don't be in the way. If you do find an area where you think fish are biting, take time to observe the wind, current, and resulting drift before dropping a line and set up your drift upwind and a comfortable distance away from your nearest neighbor. You'll know the distance is "uncomfortable" when the guy is staring you down.

If you do see someone with a giant fish in their lap, don't ask a million questions. A simple congratulations and a smile will often times get you the dope you need. Respect gets respect, so just take your time and be cognicent of what others are doing. You'll be surprised how much people will open up and help you as long as they don't see you as aggressive or overly intrusive... and this goes for the launch as well.

See you out there!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
dorado50

I think this pretty much covers it. I have seen a few posts that covered parts of what you stated but you stated it all. Good job. For sure if someone catches a fish, for sure don't post up their fish unless they say it's O.K. and it's a part of YOUR report for the day. That person may not want to report that fish being caught.

Good to know jimmyz approves! Afterall, along with experience comes knowledge.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
So as a total newbie to kayaking and drowning bait off one, I am interested in finding out what are the major "no-no's" that you see people do. ?
I have a couple peevs...#1 is seeing peeps surf launch who don't have much experience or skillz try and paddle out / in with hooks or lures tied on. If and when you have a yard sale...don't fook someone else up. Getting hooked sucks.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote