Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
iethinker

More……….Finding Yellowtail……….Again

This is a kayak fishing report for 9/5/2015 from La Jolla.

....Again

During previous YT hook-ups, I have been marking way-points on my Fish-Finder/GPS. Eventually noticing that a few from earlier in the season were close together, I returned to that spot on two recent trips. By my estimate it seems that within probably five or less minutes of crossing the mark(s) I encounter the target species. I am knocking on wood now hoping the trend continues. I guess I should have been doing this all along. Tuition is expensive!

9/5/2015 was my most recent trip to the spot and it proved no exception. I managed to land a nice 34-inch (to fork) YT on a fly-lined Greenback Mackerel (GBM). His fight belied his size. Following the photo session, I released it back into the spot.

This YT put up a fight equivalent or greater than other larger models I have caught. I thought another personal-best was going down until I saw all of his medium-sized glory.

...Bait Problems

The real challenge it seemed this day was making bait. It took me just under three hours to land three Greenback Mackerels. There were other fish that hit both my Kastmaster and my sabiki but I was determined to hold-out for the best kind! The sabiki ultimately came through.

...By-catch

I was quite surprised to see a Rockfish hit my Kastmaster! Who would have thought it about as easy to catch one of these as GBMs; especially on a 1/4-oz surface lure?

This guy forgot he lives on the bottom and struck a lure I was trying to catch Mackerel with.

I hope the Finding Yellowtail trend continues in future years but the bait difficulties must end now!

Thanks
Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote