Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

LA Jolla Saturday?

Anyone hitting up LA Jolla on Saturday? I'm thinking of going bit never been there. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I've only fished Newport and Cabrillo so far. Where is a good place to launch from? My plan is to bring the sibiki rod, load up the live well, troll a mac, and throw my new irons with my new lexa! I'm ready to put it to work and catch my first yellow tail. Do you guys run a trap hook (treble) on your macs? Do you think that would keep the sea loins off, or just make me lose a fishing pole? ? Just curious. From my experience, the macs last quite a long time with the treble, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. Let me know if anyone is planning on going. Cheers
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Anyone hitting up LA Jolla on Saturday? I'm thinking of going bit never been there. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I've only fished Newport and Cabrillo so far. Where is a good place to launch from? My plan is to bring the sibiki rod, load up the live well, troll a mac, and throw my new irons with my new lexa! I'm ready to put it to work and catch my first yellow tail. Do you guys run a trap hook (treble) on your macs? Do you think that would keep the sea loins off, or just make me lose a fishing pole? ? Just curious. From my experience, the macs last quite a long time with the treble, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. Let me know if anyone is planning on going. Cheers
Launch from the beach, Avenida De La Playa is the street I believe. You can drive right on the sand if you have the right car/truck, or just park in the 15 minute area and wheel it down. The actual parking lot is north a half block or so. Showers, bathrooms, good looking women, etc.

Watch out for the MLPA area, don't fish inside the boundary. As for the trap hook, I don't. That's more of a halibut thing for me. But hey, maybe it works for someone on here. Who knows.

I'll be there with a buddy of mine, along with a million other buddies I haven't met yet.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Awesome, i appreciate the advice. My map shows one big mlpa area, and one smaller area a little north. Is that street in between the two areas? I'll check Google. Thanks again for the advice bro
Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
HELLSTER INC.

I will be there sat as well, Jackson cuda red/black camo.
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Widgeon

Good luck out there.
Which model Lexa ?
I've been using a 300 hslp and 20-30# inshore rod for some of the lighter lures/ irons.
It's a little power house
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I got the Lexa 400. Kind of beefy, thinking about a lighter outfit like a 300 as well, but then again I'll probably know better once i catch some big fish with it
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
I got the Lexa 400. Kind of beefy, thinking about a lighter outfit like a 300 as well, but then again I'll probably know better once i catch some big fish with it
The 300 and 400 have the same drag potential, but the 400 holds a lot more line.
What line did you put on it and how much?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I bought it at fisherman's access by my house and they offered white power pro for free, or the difference for super slick, so i got it loaded with 65 lb (220 yds) of blue super slick, paid $6 for the line!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

the lexa 400 is great for surface irons/waxwings, casts awesome and I have caught some decent sized fish on it. Tiburon makes a cool little reel clamp for the lexa 400 if you wanted to put it on like an 8 foot medium jigstick ...DEADLY
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Widgeon

Right on.
I got about 185yrds of 50# izor on my 300.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

If it's like last Saturday. There will be a BUNCH of yaks on the water.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

I don't use traps on macks. You'll have your hands full as soon as a seal gets hooked on it.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I will avoid that then. I'll leave that for the boat. I really hope to get a yellow on the iron or waxwing!