Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

County Line/ Leo Carillo

Anyone from LA area fish over here lately? Some dude got a YT on a SUP this past weekend on the yoyo. If you know this area, let me know if you know of some spots to launch from. Don't want to kill myself. Thanks guys

~Cheers~

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I havent fished there lately, but they have been catching fish there all summer long....as far as launch spots...you answered your own question....county line and leo carillo.

And as far as not killing yourself....leo carillo is much easier but further away. Youll be launching and landing in a boulder field just so you know. Dont crash!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
TJones

Today is perfect day

Bite is wide open . pm if interested in going some other time . All my buddy's whimpered out . No juevos .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Heard they're feeding on squid.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
TJones

Like mentioned above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Heard they're feeding on squid.

They have been killing them all summer . The fishing probably hasn't been this good since the fiftys , before man invented the fishing reel . . But I really would not know because I have not caught jack there all year long . I was building my confidence farther down south at Lj , when they were right here in my back yard . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Well, I live in Brea, so LJ is 90-120 minute drive. Leo Carillo is still over an hour but a little closer.

I just need some squid colored jigs!

Z,daw s zee 9s[URL?pvzss[IMG]x3[/IMG][/URL]s s c0dx

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 11-20-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Well, I live in Brea, so LJ is 90-120 minute drive. Leo Carillo is still over an hour but a little closer.

I just need some squid colored jigs!

Speaking from experience: I live in Norwalk, County Line is about half the distance of LJ but the drive takes just as long or longer. I recall one weekend when it took me over 2hrs to get home, 2hrs to go 60miles.............

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Speaking from experience: I live in Norwalk, County Line is about half the distance of LJ but the drive takes just as long or longer. I recall one weekend when it took me over 2hrs to get home, 2hrs to go 60miles.............
Oh Damn, thanks for the heads up. The drive back from LJ has been 2 hrs on average for me. So sounds like there isn't much of a benefit to go over there, unless it's just biting better

Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Fishing malibu is always good, but having to deal with PCH is a heart ache all the time and it doesn't mean you will catch anything either.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
MrPukaShell

Launching at County Line can be a little challenging espically if the surf is on the larger side. Head out to the 180' mark and a little N/W of Neptune's Net. There should be some boats anchored up there. Heard the white jig was working best. Yes the fishing has been the best it has been since I can remember. There used to be a bunch of home guards in the Malibu area in th 70's. We would troll for them with broken back Rapala's. I would take some squid too. Watch on the landing too as the waves break quite a distance from the beach. If you are on FB look for George Clout. Spends a lot of time there and usually has a report if he is not surfing.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Launching at County Line can be a little challenging espically if the surf is on the larger side. Head out to the 180' mark and a little N/W of Neptune's Net. There should be some boats anchored up there. Heard the white jig was working best. Yes the fishing has been the best it has been since I can remember. There used to be a bunch of home guards in the Malibu area in th 70's. We would troll for them with broken back Rapala's. I would take some squid too. Watch on the landing too as the waves break quite a distance from the beach. If you are on FB look for George Clout. Spends a lot of time there and usually has a report if he is not surfing.
Thank you MrPukaShell, this is the kind of Intel I was hoping for. Looking online I saw all the rocks and wasn't sure where everyone launches from.

That guy that got his yt on the sup was using a white jig, so I figured that would be the way to go. I got a yellow and white, might try that out.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
MrPukaShell

Sil,

If you get there early enough there is a dirt road that leads down to the beach that you can park next to. I think it is the life guard access. Anyway it is an easy way down to the water. I have always launched on the southern end but you will just have to see what the waves are doing. Heard the surf was going to be on the larger side this weekend so check your favorite surf report. I would stow your gear on the way out and on the way back in. Broke two poles there a couple of weeks back, lesson learned the hard way.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Sil,

If you get there early enough there is a dirt road that leads down to the beach that you can park next to. I think it is the life guard access. Anyway it is an easy way down to the water. I have always launched on the southern end but you will just have to see what the waves are doing. Heard the surf was going to be on the larger side this weekend so check your favorite surf report. I would stow your gear on the way out and on the way back in. Broke two poles there a couple of weeks back, lesson learned the hard way.
Awesome, thanks. I actually might go on my buddies boat this weekend, but will keep an eye on the surf reports to find a window of opportunity.

I like to try new spots out all the time.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
chxh8me

get there early. in my experience the wide open bites happen right around sunrise, and shut off shortly thereafter. doesn't mean they can't be caught later in the morning... but it does seem to slow down quite a bit.

frozen squid on dropper loops and various jigs ought to get it done.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chxh8me View Post
get there early. in my experience the wide open bites happen right around sunrise, and shut off shortly thereafter. doesn't mean they can't be caught later in the morning... but it does seem to slow down quite a bit.

frozen squid on dropper loops and various jigs ought to get it done.
Awesome! You guys rock, thanks for the info!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
yemff

lived 10 min from leo/county for 20 yrs and honestly never fished it, or anywhere in malibu for that matter, at least from a kayak. Now that I live in san diego I wish I was up there. But if I had to launch from anywhere Id park in the lot at leo carillo down the cliff from the actual county line. You will enter like youre going to the campgrounds, but you will go back under pch, then past the lifeguard tower then north and down to the beac. Might be a bit of a paddle though and youll prob have to pay.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
CaliHalikiller

For any easy launch park on pch just east of the leo camp ground entrance south side of the street there are a small set of wood stairs and its free but if you have to balls launch out of couty line but store ur gear like they mentioned I consider both of these spots as my local spots fish them a lot oh and also bring heavy weights if fishing bait if current is ripping you need 12-16 oz to stay on the bottom irons works awesome to got all mine there this year on irons good luck wear your PFD and wait for the lull in the sets
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
chxh8me

wiiiiide open this morning (for about an hour or so). dropper loop with dead squid, and jigs. 130-160ft.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chxh8me View Post
wiiiiide open this morning (for about an hour or so). dropper loop with dead squid, and jigs. 130-160ft.
Sweet!! How many did you get?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
MrPukaShell

Aloha Spirit had 18 yesterday (Boat out of Channel ISlands)