Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
aftahour

wet mount question for malibu guys.

hey guys, anyone w/ malibu yak done the wet mount yet and has pics? i have been trying to find a spot to do the mount but cant find a real good spot in the front for the 3" tube.. any pics would help..
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I have a 4 inch pvc threaded cap and end that I'm making for a wet mount. I just tested my transducer off the back of my x-factor and did not like the overhang. The thing was getting abused during loading and launching of the yak. I just siliconed the transducer to the inside hull to see the difference. I have a humminbird 385ci. If I don't like the way it functions I'm going to install the wet mount. I was going to talk to the guys at Ridout plastics in San Diego to see the best way to bond the pvc to the hull.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sandydiego,

If you know the guys at Ridout Plastic see if you can score a piece of clear pipe that your cap will fit on. I know they sell it. That will be better than the ABS because you will always be able to see if there is water in the well.

As for attaching the plastic, (any kind) to your hull, marine goop works great. Just sand the area a bit and wipe with alcohol before putting the goop on the pipe.

Be careful not to use too much goop, especially on the inside of the well. Mine ended up flowing all over the hull inside the well. After everything set up, I had to carve the excess goop away as it had a bunch of bubbles.

I believe that the best way to install the pipe to make your well is to shape the bottom of the pipe so that it fits the contour of your hull as closely as possible. Put a bead of goop on the edge of pipe and set it in place. Put something on the top of the well, (like a book), which will apply a little downward pressure and let everything set up.

When the goop has cured, caulk the outside edge with a little more goop just to make sure that all gaps are filled. When that has cured, fill the well with water to check for leaks and you are done.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
aftahour

thanks for the tip bob..
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
walrus

Dsafety convinced me on the wet mount, but alas it was problematic geting a big enough pipe for a Lorance transponder and shaping it for the Malibu stealth hull.

Then I stumbled on a cheap easy solution. For $2.57 I bought a 1 1/4 inch terminal box. I made a paper template of the keel and trnsferred it to the ends of the terminal box. Holding the terminal box against a belt sander (coarse) at the angle I sanded, checked, sanded checked until thebox fit perfectly in the keel channel.

Next I mounted the transducer where the the bottom of sides terminal and the bottom of the trans duce are the same. Which makes the 60 degree transducer shoot thru the keel. Mounting was done by drilling a hole side to side in the terminal box and using a stainless steel thread bolt and nuts. A little marine goop it's water tight.

I' didn't take many pictures when creating this thing, but I'll take some more and explain what I did in more detail if any malibu people are interested. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictues while building.

A 1 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch reduce was cut in half for the top and rear opening to keep a low profile. in the rear a rubber cork had a hol drilled the diameter of the wire, split fro the side with a razor to get the wire in, gooped and pressed int the reducer. I added silcone around to ensure it was watertight (overkill). The front O addea a 3/4 inch to threated 1/2 inch reduce and screwed in a 1/2 plug. I add water and check the water here, so far no lost water. This works great and the sanding is easy with a belt sander as long as you keep checking as you go. All the pvc parts were glued together with pvc cement, but I added silcone around them (overkill).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S10.jpg (79.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg S9.jpg (72.5 KB, 400 views)
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I like the terminal box setup. I may go with that instead. Thanks Walrus.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Terrific new ideas are showing up every day. This is great.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
dtownfan

3m 5200 is great stuff too.
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I' didn't take many pictures when creating this thing, but I'll take some more and explain what I did in more detail if any malibu people are interested. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictues while building.
I'm very interested in your find. I need to figure out how to mount a new Humminbird trans in the front of my Stealth 14. It's a down-imaging unit so it seems even more important to mount it in the far front of the the boat pointing straight down.
Where did you get the terminal box? I don't recognize it as something in the electrical department at Home Depot.
Please share the details.

Thanks
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
walrus

I just took off the wet mount to change the transducer for a new ff.

I have attached some pictures to help you identify the parts at the hardware store and a set of instructions I drew up.

Instructions-one.jpg

Instructions-two.jpg

Instructions-three.jpg

Instruction-four.jpg

Transducer1.jpgTransducer2.jpgtransducer3.jpg

I hope this helps. I never had any trouble with this mount and it was real tough to get off. It will be back on in a day or so with the new transducer and ready for spring.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
BrokeLoser

Quote:
I just took off the wet mount to change the transducer for a new ff.

I have attached some pictures to help you identify the parts at the hardware store and a set of instructions I drew up.

I hope this helps. I never had any trouble with this mount and it was real tough to get off. It will be back on in a day or so with the new transducer and ready for spring.
WOW Walrus!
Awesome detail..you must be a photoshop whiz. With these instructions and illustrations I don't think a 10 year old could screw this up. Okay..so what do I owe you?...haha
My only question: Is that terminal something I can find at Home Depot or Lowes? How would I refer to it...What is it called? If I know what is called..'technically' I should be able to call around and locate one before taking to the road.

Again...THANK YOU!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
walrus

It a terminal box and it goes on galvanize conduit pipe. the boxes are next to the pipe.

Print the picture take it, with you and you should have no problem with the clerk finding it for you. In one store I go to it's above the pipe, the other below th pipe it kind of depanss on how the store is set up.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
BrokeLoser

Quote:
It a terminal box and it goes on galvanize conduit pipe. the boxes are next to the pipe.

Print the picture take it, with you and you should have no problem with the clerk finding it for you. In one store I go to it's above the pipe, the other below th pipe it kind of depanss on how the store is set up.
I just went to my local Home Depot with the image printed out. I went over to the electrical dept. I couldn't find it so I asked the HD employee working the elec dept. and he looked at me like I was crazy. "We don't have those; is it made of plastic or fiberglass?" he says.
I'll go try another store and or a Lowes later.

Final question for you Walrus.
Is it made of plastic or fiberglass?
In the image it definitely looks like fiberglass.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
walrus

Plastic, abs I believe, what area are you in?

Maybe I'm calling them by the wrong name, but these are used everywhere in construction projects.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Plastic, abs I believe, what area are you in?

Maybe I'm calling them by the wrong name, but these are used everywhere in construction projects.
I'm in Corona
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Try the electrical section... http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post

perfect!
That's definitely it. Now I can call stores with a sku number to see if they have them in stock.
Now I just hope the Humminbird Di transducer will fit in the terminal.

Much appreciated guys!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
tagyak

nice read. i can relate to brokeloser regards to HD guys. everytime i seem to have a technical question they have one of those deer in the headlights look.

redsledteam, thanks for finding that conduit enclosure. it will be real helpful for lots of us who would want to do this project.

and thanks to walrus for taking the time to think outside of the box. i love reading about these type of "new" uses.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
BrokeLoser

Walrus's posts #5 and #10 belong in the "Share your innovations" thread...don't they?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

bump

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote