Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

MLPA 2012: Clandestine Kayaking

With my spare time I wanted to do something different to my new (used) kayak. Something that I'm sure reduced the retail value . The way I see it, is if they (DFG, eco-fundamentalist cronies, etc,) cannot see me when I'm fishing in zones, then I'm good-to-go....well, not really, but the rational is there!

How it was made: I cut out digital stencils using clear contact paper, using 4 different stencils. They took me about a half hour to make each one. Every digital stripe/spot took 15 minutes to dry before I could proceed to the next evolution.... But the end result looks pretty good, I think! I used Krylon Fusion. However, it does scratch off just a little bit, but not that much to make a difference in the pattern itself. Not that there is a particular pattern of course.

Just though I would share my idea, just in case someone else wanted to defile their kayak .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (65.6 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg 112.jpg (100.6 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg 113.jpg (95.2 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg 114.jpg (101.9 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg 115.jpg (103.9 KB, 424 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Watch out, tweekers steal camo kayaks.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Yeah.....they only steal items that are one of a kind. They're smart like that.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Willy

Man! It does break up the hard lines doesn't it?

Nicely done, Devil!
Semper Fi.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

All I see is 3 hatches, are they for sale?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Man! It does break up the hard lines doesn't it?

Nicely done, Devil!
Semper Fi.

Willy
Thank you sir! I can't wait to have the wife take a picture about a 1/4 mile off shore. Then I will truly see if they diminished....

Semper Fi Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
They sure do, and under value them as well

My priorities are certainly in order!! I mean, have you all looked at my fence .
Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
kobra

Good job.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
My priorities are certainly in order!! I mean, have you all looked at my fence .
Nothing a little razor wire cant fix.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

That yak is cool..great idea, really well done...nice job
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Camo's cool. Did mine a while back same stuff and it's held up fine.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Billy V

I looks really good but there is 1 problem...

The colors Blue and White are the most visible on the water.

Check it out here-> http://nigel-kayak.blogspot.com/2007...isibility.html

I have a Blue Hobie for that reason. Next time you're out take a good look.

I still like the camo colors though. Its a proven theft recovery device.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I looks really good but there is 1 problem...

The colors Blue and White are the most visible on the water.

Check it out here-> http://nigel-kayak.blogspot.com/2007...isibility.html

I have a Blue Hobie for that reason. Next time you're out take a good look.

I still like the camo colors though. Its a proven theft recovery device.
Interesting!! The article said, "robin-egg-blue."

Not quite the color of my kayak. Never the less, I will definatley send the wife out so I can see for myself. I used white to blend into the whitecaps, if they are breaking that day.

"There are conditions where blue may not work. I was paddling on Lake Tahoe (which is known for its blue colors), and saw a red recreational boat paddling a kilometer or two away. I was surprised to see someone paddling alone. After a while of half keeping an eye on them, I noticed that there was also a blue kayak there that I just couldn't see before."
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
Interesting!! The article said, "robin-egg-blue."

It's not so much an article just Nigel Foster's opinions on his Sea Kayaking blog.

Personally I'd disagree with him for a few reasons.

First off how about just some dumb practical experience. I've spent a few (ok much more then a few) hours offshore fishing small boats for tuna, paddy yellows and billfish. In that type of fishing you spend all day watching the water, scanning the horizon looking for kelp paddies and signs of fish. Sometimes one paddy can make the difference and save the whole day so your always watching the water.

I've found that for things that are a good ways off more then a few hundred yards white shows up best. White boats, white splashes from breaking fish that's pretty all you end up seeing when things are far away. There is a reason they have been making white boats for centuries. It's because you can see them. In general the trained eye can separate boats and breaking fish from cresting waves even though they are both white because they move in different ways.

Closer your eyes tend pick up color, for instance since paddies have a yellow tint often the first thing that cues you in to one being there is just a glimpse of yellow or yellowish brown in between the crests of waves, but that's usually pretty close to the boat. Further away you do not see the color of the paddy so much but instead the fact it breaks up the surface of the water around it, so usually you can only see really big paddies when they are far away, like a spot with no whitecaps is a paddy type of thing.

How about a little more theoretical.

Light is just energy. Or more direct light is nature's way of transferring energy through space. When you see something in daylight all your seeing is energy from the sun reflected off that object. The full spectrum of sunlight appears white to the human eye, however light itself is composed of many wavelengths which we see as color. If something appears red to us it's because it's reflecting the red wavelengths of light, if it's blue it's because it's reflecting the blue wavelengths etc.

White things simply reflect more light because they reflect the full spectrum not just a portion of it. So if you took a white blue and red kayak and shined the same amount of light on each you would get the most light reflected from the white kayak, simply because it reflects the full spectrum of the light, or the most light.

Then again we can't even see the full spectrum of light. The sun produces electromagnetic radiation of somewhere between 200 and a 1000nm while our eyes can perceive something like 400 to 750 nm and they are most sensitive to wavelengths of around 550 nanometers which is in the green yellow spectrum or roughly lime in Kayak color terms.

Ultimately what the human eye perceives in most cases out on the water is contrast. Far off white objects reflect the most light so you can see them at a greater distance because they contrast other things at that distance that are not reflecting as much light.

Up close you see more color contrast. Yellow orange show well against Blue because it's the opposite in spectrum just like red shows up well against green. That's not a product of the light itself it's simply about how our brain processes color. The color wheel aint physics, it's about how we organize colors to match our perceptions.

All that said blue light has a lot of energy behind it. Without getting too technical blue light has much shorter wavelength then say red light. The shorter the wavelength the better it is a pushing through stuff. This is why blue light actually penetrates deeper in sea water then red, it's also why bluelight is less effected by low level atmospheric scattering caused by low level atmospheric moisture etc.. which is not to be confused with selective atmospheric scattering which is what makes the sky blue, and sunsets red.

I imagine a light blue yak would show up better in low light high moisture conditions like fog then a red yak, but probably no better then a white yak because the white is reflecting the same blue light as the blue yak.

Personally I've found that at night flashing blue lights can be seen from a much greater distance the flashing red lights when on the water at night, which I'd attribute to scattering, which is why personally I now use blue LEDs for my hoop floats. That said they can't beat white lights. Often when scanning the night sea for boats when offshore I've noticed you almost always see the white all around Nav light first, then the forward Nav lights usually the green, then the port red sidelight depending on the boats orientation to you.

I guess it's all a matter of perception. Nigel's a kayaker and he's obviously talking about what he seen on the water from a kayakers perspective. In Nigels blog that was linked to above he says that often the first thing he sees is the yakkers paddle, and then he sees the color of the kayak. Well if you're close enough to see a paddle in the guys hands you're pretty close, and I gather that he sees the paddle first because it's higher and he's low to the water.

Now look at it from a boater, or Coast guard rescue boat, or even a rescue choppers perspective. Go out past four five hundred or a thousand yards you're not going to see the paddle. If anything you're going see the yak, and you're going to see a white yak quicker then any other color. I mean personally I like Lime green for visibility as it reflects a lot of light and is easy to see, and it's easier on my eyes when paddling on bright days but I doubt it's as anywhere as visible as white.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 01-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Drake

The absolute best color is midnight purple if you wish to not be seen.

However, that didn't stop me from painting my surfboard the same color way back in the day.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Very well said, Jim!!

Thanks for your insight.

(As I go paint my yak Haze Grey)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

If you want your boat to disappear, look no further than the open water predators in the ocean. They've had millions of years to figure out what works and what doesn't:

Usually darker colors on top: blacks, greys, dark blues, while the bottom is usually white, light grey, or even reflective stuff... and of course it can be further enhanced if you have uneven, non-repeating patterns.

If you're trying to be MORE visible, just flip the paint scheme upside down. Light side up, dark side down.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
PapaDave

Cool, I want to try that.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Whizz Bang

Nice start, now when you get serious about subterfuge and deception......

Bottom of the kayak: Tight ball of schooling sardines (may help your hook-up ratio)
Top of the kayak: Kelp Paddy
You (pick one):
A. A jacket covered completely in cotton balls and a hat fashioned out of seagull feathers
B. Fur Coat and whiskers painted on your face
C. A giant yellow cone that you can wear simulating yet another buouy marking an area off limits to fishermen...this has the added benefit of keeping Trompas' from parking on top of you, watching his little buddy hook into a BSB he cannot control, and then blaming you for being too close to him when his aforementioned little buddy allows the fish to make a mockery of his manhood and entangle everyone within the reel's line capacity.**

**Note, if you pick more than one option, you may just look silly**

Last edited by Whizz Bang; 01-11-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
catchnfish

"B. Fur Coat and whiskers painted on your face"

made my morning
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
eertkao
Steve-O.

Quote: