Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Hobie rudder line replacement

I just changed out rudder lines for a customer and snapped a few photos.

Typically the only area prone to wear is the 6 inches exposed in the rear. Untie the knotted ends and back out the phillips head retaining bolt, that has a wrap of line held taught.

You don't need to replace ALL the line, there is a section that makes things much simpler, the loop cinches the line with an overhand knot so it can't slip.........kind of like a back to back uni knot but this one can easily be pulled apart to change out. The crank and steering handle do not need to be touched, eliminating peeling off the decal, backing out the allen head, pressing through the retaining clip, pulling out the spring and crank assembly. The lines are attached to the crank via crimp and loop. Likely never to fail you.

The end cap and o ring removed from the tubing and threaded on the control line make for an easy install.

Just center the rudder and set the tension, tighten the bolts and check if all good tie off the knots.

11 feet of line will give you a little to spare for the Outback, add a couple feet for the Revo 13, After cutting the line just hit the ends with a lighter to keep em from fraying. Cost you about $4 for the line, always in stock. I do this for $25.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

I have been having trouble with my rudder not locking down thus loosing
right rudder, is it lines? or is the little notch that the sailing rudder locks into worn out, I know ifthe lines arent adjusted it will happen but it seems like the rudder isn't locking into position I will be out your way next weekend but I know weekends are busy, do you think you could take a look and if so what do you think it will cost...about
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
coxtanker421

thx for sharing

ugly thing when on open water. thx for you expertise ,and sharing. hopefully this can be done as preventive, at your shop , prior to real problem.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
coxtanker421

manicure

add a little lotion to hands.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

sun dried leather hands.

Over time the rudder will wear to where it does not snap in the down position. Just lock the rudder down like this.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

'08 lever type not pull cords
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

lever tension

I had the same problem on my '08 Outfitter with the levers. The only thing I could do is to tie the rudder lines with more tension from the internal bungie so that the increased tension holds the rudder down or up, but the trade-off is it is pretty difficulty to stow and deploy.

Iceman, is there a way to convert from levers to the new pull chords? Or should I remove the fishing rods and install a newer kayak
?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Iceman, is there a way to convert from levers to the new pull chords?
You could buy all the components, but it would take some modifications to make it work. More than I would want to take on.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
kareem korn

While on the subject. I got my wife a new hobie sport (I think). The rudder pull down is cool. But, it takes alot of pull to get the rudder up (). So much so that it seems like something is going to give.
Normal?
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Try loosening the pivot bolt the the rudder swings on
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
kareem korn

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
kobra

Just in time. Thanks for posting that Andy. Just noticed some fraying on my cables.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
While on the subject. I got my wife a new hobie sport (I think). The rudder pull down is cool. But, it takes alot of pull to get the rudder up (). So much so that it seems like something is going to give.
Normal?
Had the same issue on mine. Ended up needing a bit of maintenance. The lines that run around the rotating half of the rudder we're screwed up.

Here's how to R&R, about 3/4 of the way down the page. Titled "Twist and Stow Connections Detail".
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/sup...al.html#rudder
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
kareem korn

and thank you too.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
mtnbykr2

Hey a big shout out to Andy at OEX Sunset bch, for fixing my rudder with a few adjustments that evidentally I didn't do right, stopped in to say hi and he was on it, it was nice meeting you Andy, thanks for the help, it has been quite a few trips out without having to have somebody push my rudder down...worked perfect both days in Dana...thanks again...
P.S shoulda went with just a bit lighter spinner baits for the rods I brought, worked great for the turds though

Tags
hobie rudder line, how to, replacement