Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
monstahfish

light tackle bonito fun

Hey guys, I thought I would post a quick report of my light tackle fooling around at la jolla. You may not all get this but I'm from the east coast and we consider bonito to be one of the most desirable light tackle fish. Mostly the appeal is their surface feeding tendencies, they can be hard to catch, only show up for a short window and can throw down some screaming runs with light line. I went out after hearing about their arrival and wasn't disappointed. Casting small metals I caught 6 bones up to about 6# along with a handful of large macks. I was hoping for a rogue yellow but never got one. I did see another guy bag a white sea bass on the yoyo jig though so that was cool.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Glad u got on the bones. Where were u fishing ?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
SorryCharlie

Its always fun when you hook 3-4 boonies on a sibiki when searching for bait. They f%*^ up the sibiki, but fun non the less!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
taggermike

They do have bonito in the Atlantic but do they also call false albacore bonito some times? Bonito are a blast to catch no doubt. Our local bones have been scarce over the last 4-5 years and its good to see them back. It you have ice it's worth keeping 1 or 2. Thanks for the report. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
monstahfish

The first one is a false albacore- they are close to a true tuna and in the euthynnus family. They are probably my favorite fish as they surface feed a lot, are strong as hell and peel serious drag as they can swim at 40mph.
The atlantic bonito is sarda sarda and is a true bonito which shares a family with the spanish macks like sierras and ceros and of course the pacific bonito. People often get these confused when talking about them because in the south albies are called bonita with an a at the end.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
roadx

caught some bonies at the bait receiver in mission bay on my ultra light gear. lots of fun (even though they were smaller than yours). swimbaits and rapala's worked well.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
The first one is a false albacore- they are close to a true tuna and in the euthynnus family. They are probably my favorite fish as they surface feed a lot, are strong as hell and peel serious drag as they can swim at 40mph.
The atlantic bonito is sarda sarda and is a true bonito which shares a family with the spanish macks like sierras and ceros and of course the pacific bonito. People often get these confused when talking about them because in the south albies are called bonita with an a at the end.
Monstafish...that top fish is what we called "Little Tunny" when fishing in Florida. Most importantly, I think it's the same fish on the Sponge Bob Square Pants opening:

Spongebob Fish:
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
monstahfish

I had no idea about the spongebob thing that's pretty dead on as far as cartoons go. Is it a character or just in the intro? Pretty sweet that the bones come into the bays here I'll have to check that out. And yeah on the tunny it's funny how many names one fish can have up and down the same coast.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
newportdogs

I remember in ’66 and ’67 when I was in high school catching a boat at the Belmont pier for a ride out to a barge anchored just inside the breakwater. We caught big bonito all day long on light tackle. Two story barge with a great galley. I still remember those burgers and bonito ripping off line as they hit the live bait. Great experience for a bunch of kids learning to fish
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote