Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Enceladus

Newbie Help

Hey guys, after decades of fishing from a camp chair I've decided start fishing from a kayak. I'm a pretty big guy (6 ft 240 lbs) and am considering a used 2010 Hobie Outback.

Questions:
1. Is there much difference from a 2012 vs 2010 Outback?
2. What are some other options you'd recommend?
3. How much $$ would you consider is necessary for an initial investment.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Welcome to the addication. I can't say how much the initial investment should be because we all have different ideas about what you need. mine was close to 2K, kayak PFD, fishfinder, bait tank, paddled Etc... It's the long run you gotta ready for.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

welcome to the crew,
I don't think there are aq whole lot of differences between the two, so go for it, the investment should be the basic safety equipment, before you venture out, be comfortable and confident in your boat, then come on out and fish
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
jorluivil

I purchased a new 2011 Outback earlier this year, I'm already into it over $2500 and that's with a $169 FF, had purchased the HDS5(the creme de le creme) I'd be well over the $3k mark. Regardless of what brand or model year you purchase be prepared to invest. I paid $700 for my first used kayak and in less than two months I had already invested over $500. The only advise I can give is pay cash, hide the receipts and don't buy something just because its cheap.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

There are some nice Fish n Dives for sale here...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12112
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Enceladus

Talking

Thanks for the input. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 2007 Outback with a bunch of accessories for $1200, but someone beat me to it. Thanks for the welcome and advice. Hopefully, it won't be long before I'm out there on the water with you guys -- at least by spring and the WSB.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
tagyak

i have the 2010 outback, it is almost like the 2011 and 2012 but the steering rudder is the older style on the 10. the newer ones have the bigger handle that has the grey on it. it is suppose to be more comfortable but i am not sure. what i do like about that handle is that they have a ball that can be mounted to the top of it so it is more comfortable to steer.
i wouldn't look for an older one than the 2010 model b/c i really like the clip in style for the peddles rather than the twist knob type. i had that one but the ease and convenience of the clip in's are great.
you should be able to find something in the 1300 up to 1700 range depending on what they are selling with the kayak. keep yours eyes open and you should be able to find some real killer deals.
good luck.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
ChefT

what up ..... im 280..... i make it look good thought .... i chose the 2011 out back and i love it.... in calm waters in the bay i have even stood up on it.
but yes to what george said, Don't by cheap, hide your receipts from the wife.
and don't support the MLPA ......
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Enceladus

Yeah, I was looking at that one also. If it's still available after Christmas I might go pick it up. Honestly, I just don't know enough about kayaks to know if it is a good deal. I have a buddy that goes out to LJ all the time, but he's pushing a newer model. I'd rather spend less than more. I'll be going out to Kayak shop in newport that he told me about and test drive a few. From what I've read the outback seems a good choice for me, tho. I like the idea of hiding receipts, too!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
lbsurf2ca

When it comes to your Kayak don't be cheap. You will save in the long run. This sport is so addicting you will end up with that newer model anyway. I had an 04 that I got for 750. Yes it was a great deal but guess what? That model has a notorious issue with the drive well leaking. That year is a lot more tippy then the newer models.

Hobie ended up prorating me a brand new hull for 700. Basically if you add it up I spent about 1500 without any accessories. Another cost saver is to book a trip with Josh Pruitt. He will definitely save you money in the long run saving you from buying all kinds of useless equipment. Not to mention he will put you on some big fish. See you out there.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
Questions:
1. Is there much difference from a 2012 vs 2010 Outback?
2. What are some other options you'd recommend?
3. How much $$ would you consider is necessary for an initial investment.
1. 2012 vs. 2010 Hobies....YES there is a HUGE difference. While the hulls are still almost identical to the 2010's, all of Hobie's 2012 hulls have significant structural upgrades to the drivewell area, and the mirage drive itself.
Also, its nice to buy new for the awesome factory warranty and support you'll receive from your local hobie dealer (even though you'd get that if you bought used).
2. PFD, breathable waders, bait tank... buy a "reconditioned" bait tank from hobie or make one your self...really easy and cheap, but if you are gonna fish alot the hobie tanks are nice.
3. for the basics, new hobie 1900, pfd 100, waders 200, do it your self bait tank 80-120, hobie super bad ass bait tank 250....electronics are a how other animal but I always liked the black and white single beam's with GPS...usually run around 170-200...dual beam color with gps=500-750.

of course once you have the seaworthy boat, pfd, fishing permit and a rod your golden....everything else can be aquired slowly as you learn exactly what YOU need for you style fishing....which reminds me of three more required items, a soft 12pack cooler, ice and beer!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
TCS

For about a 5% increase in the stuff scally listed above, you could also hire a guide for a day and save yourself a couple of years on the learning curve. Easy for us to say you should go all-in, but a lot of us, including myself would start with all the right stuff and coaching if we had the chance to do it over again.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Enceladus

Good info! Thanks! I'll post when I finally get something. Once I get the kayak, I'll be asking for gear advice since all I have is ultralight freshwater gear.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Willy

You don't need to go baller status on your first yak.
I started on a piece of crap, and worked my way up. What good is a Caddie if you didn't drive a Monte Carlo first to learn to appreciate it?

If and when you do go get a yak (whatever type you choose), take the time to get the feel of it.
Trust me I know, you'll want to paddle out to La Jolla right away, but go down to Mission Bay first.
Drop it in at the boat launch or a calm beach (Mariners Point) and get used to it with no gear. Spend a whole day on it, just you the boat and a paddle (and a PFD).

Make turns.
Go to a shallow calm spot and tip it on purpose.
Go a little deeper and try to get on it in water where you cant touch the bottom.
This seems stupid and remedial, but in a tight spot this stuff should be second nature, especially if you're not a sprite, quick youth.
Could be life or death, or it could just mean saving some gear in a tight spot.
Then take it to LA Jolla, with no gear, and get your ass kicked in the waves for a bit. Fall off. Learn to steer it in a wave. Learn to get embarrassed by the sea. Then go back to the truck and get your stuff.

Then go out and slay 'em.
Welcome to the club.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Enceladus

Talking

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm picking up a 2010 outback tomorrow with a ton of extras (FF, outriggers, turbofins, bait tank, tackleboxes, etc). I was thinking about getting a brand spanking new one, but I'm okay with this one for now. I'll start with the private lakes to get used to it, but I'll be seeing you guys in LJ by spring!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm picking up a 2010 outback tomorrow with a ton of extras (FF, outriggers, turbofins, bait tank, tackleboxes, etc). I was thinking about getting a brand spanking new one, but I'm okay with this one for now. I'll start with the private lakes to get used to it, but I'll be seeing you guys in LJ by spring!

Just saw your post, congrats on the new yak......see you at Irvine lake on the 30th
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Enceladus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Just saw your post, congrats on the new yak......see you at Irvine lake on the 30th
Heck yeah, Tom! Getting in kayak shape to get some WSB this spring. Thanks for getting me into this.