Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Long Weekend at San Miguel

Took off early Friday morning with my roommate and buddy Lorenzo to camp at San Miguel just north of Ensenada for the long weekend. We had wanted to do something like this for a long time and finally coordinated taking a day off last Friday.

Breezed through the border and down to K58 in no time at all. The road closure is just south of there and they force you inland off of the 1 onto a slightly sketch two lane highway that reminded me of Ortega, but before we took that we wanted to see how close we could get to Salsipuedes Bay and those tuna Pens before they actually closed the roads ("non-through" traffic could keep going to get to Bajamar and all that). Anyways, they close it off completely right at the Salsipuedes headland, but you get an epic view of the bay from this overpass where you turn around, we saw the pens getting shuttled around which was cool. Headed back north to that inland highway that takes you around the closure but they were also working on that road so after a few delays we were through to San Miguel and got set up.

The campsite is $12USD a night and right on the beach - we got a great spot and were the only ones there until Saturday around noon. It's also got a really fun point break so we spent way more time surfing/drinking than fishing, the wind being insane Friday/Saturday didn't help the fishing vs surfing argument either. Lots of Americans passing through to surf or camp for a night, met some cool people and the locals were super welcoming too. Got out on the kayak most of the day Sunday though when the wind mellowed out and caught a nice Yellow on a flylined greenback in ~120ft, no scale, no tape, no problems, super pumped and when I landed at the beach there were tons of locals around making me feel like a legend. We made a bunch of ceviche and probably had a beer with pretty much everyone on the beach. Made it home yesterday with the yellow kept well on ice and a nice addition to the freezer. Great time, I recommend it and i will be back!
Attached Images

YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Widgeon

Sounds like fun trip.
Nice YT.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
dniss

Looks like a great spot. How accessible is it without 4wd to get your yaks to the launch? Nice fish!
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
619-SWIM-DOG

Nice trip, sounds like you guys had a blast. Congrats on the YT.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

looks killer, we did a day trip to Salsipuedes with the kayaks long ago, rough pulling kayaks back up! Miss all those trips to Puerto Nuevo, Las Dunas and La Salinas.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniss View Post
Looks like a great spot. How accessible is it without 4wd to get your yaks to the launch? Nice fish!
Not bad at all, you can drive right up to a spot, back in. We just carried our yaks down to the water in that little lagoon. We were lucky and when we got there Friday it was empty so we snagged that spot for our tents and stuff. Launching was a little intense but you can wade all the way out to the mouth of that lagoon and wait for a lull
Attached Images

Last edited by YakHanded; 09-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
looks killer, we did a day trip to Salsipuedes with the kayaks long ago, rough pulling kayaks back up! Miss all those trips to Puerto Nuevo, Las Dunas and La Salinas.
We really wanted to fish Salsipuedes Bay so we ended up actually paddling around the point and saw the Playa Saldamando campground which looked like it had a boat ramp - I hooked up right off the cliffside campsites there so we are all amped on camping there next.

This is the only OTW pictures i have, but the gopro died after like 15 seconds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYjp...ature=youtu.be

You can kind of see the camp sites in the background.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I need to get down there. Looks like u guys had a blast!! Any other fist caught? Or did everyone go for the homerun? How easy was it to make bait?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
I need to get down there. Looks like u guys had a blast!! Any other fist caught? Or did everyone go for the homerun? How easy was it to make bait?
Do it! It was easier than we expected... My roommate caught a small calico on a spoon tight to the kelp that he released but other than the yellow that was it from the yaks. We fished 7am-1230ish Sunday

The bait we found was tight to the kelp too, we were getting a bunch of smelt but managed a handful of greenbacks and a single sardine without too much of a hassle. Lots of action out there though, big beefy dawgs, saw a huge blue whale!