Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Tuesday on Lake La Jolla

First I would like to rewind to July 22, 2013. I booked a trip with Josh, a.k.a. The Darkhorse, in hopes of shortening my learning curve to this new to me sport of kayak fishing. I wanted to learn all there was to it and catching a fish would just be extra. We stayed out ALL day, and I learned a plethora of knowledge. I didn’t post the report because I was one of the few that went out with the Darkhorse and came home empty. He did put me on a fish, but I failed to get him to the boat. Even though we were fishing with squid, he still schooled me on how to fish mackerel as that would be my primary bait at The Jewel.

I had been putting time in the water here and there, getting more familiar with surf launches, making bait, and trolling. Fighting the dogs off, crossing lines, and just getting a more comfortable in LJ. I have done a bunch of fishing in SD bay, but told myself that why fish the bay, when LJ is the same distance away (guess I’m lucky living 15 min away from the Jewel). I wasn’t mad about not hooking a yellow even after putting in the work, I was just happy to be out there.

Now let’s fast forward to Sunday. Joezee1986 and I went out on Sunday to find the yellowtails that seem to always elude us. Needless to say, he hooks up and I am stoked for him. I even got to sink the gaff in him, closest I had been to a yellow while on a yak, and truly made his day, but made mine too. Seeing a friend getting towed around is wild, and all you can hope for is that they land the fish (check out his report, No Skunk Sundays.) We fished a little while longer, when my bait gets nervous and off goes the clicker (as I’m talking to Silbaugh4liberty). Nice, my first real fish in LJ, feels a little light though.

After a while, I get it to color and see vertical blue stripes. “Damn,” I say to myself, Bonita. Oh well, a PB Bonita at almost 8lbs is cool for me. But still had that want for a yellow in the back of my head. Maybe next time.

Got to BBQ with friends and family Monday, but was wishing I was at The Jewel. I had already taken Tuesday off, and my gear was still ready to go from the day before, so I say forget about being tired, I’m going fishing.

“Ha,” the wife says. “Since you’re off, you can drop the kids off at school & daycare.” No problem, I’ll just load the yak, drop off the lil’ ones and be off. She was cool with that, so that morning I loaded up the yak, dropped off the kids, and head to The Jewel.

I reach the beach, and it looks as if it’s deserted. Compared to the Sunday before labor day (the beach was crazy with people). I drop off the yak, park, and launch to ankle slappers. As usual, I take one over the bow, but couldn’t care less, I WAS FISHING!

Begin making bait, and am having a much rougher time finding A) bait that wanted to cooperate & B) the right kind of bait. I eventually get about 7 perfect size greenies and throw a few Spanish in for good measure. There are only 2 other kayakers and maybe two PB’s in the distance.

I get to where Joezee1986 hooked up and begin the troll. As I let line out, I’m thinking to myself, “Why did I choose the bay over this again?” No crazy boaters, free bait, and much more serene place to be. As I put my clicker on, I think about the reports I’ve read where some people drop a bait in and hook up 5 min later. “Why can’t that be me I say?” Just then, my bait gets nervous and off goes the clicker. “YES!” I say. Lots of vibration up the line, and 5 minutes later, I have a new PB Bonita at 9lbs. “Oh boy, gonna be another one of those days.” Oh well, I did a U-turn, pinned on another bait and went through “The Zone” again.

10 minutes later, I’m on again, and this time it’s the right kind. I get the head shakes and brute strength of the Yellowtail. I survey my surroundings. No kelp around, no boaters around, and more importantly, no dogs around. “It’s just me and you I say, let’s do this.” I go on a sleigh ride, get it to color, and realize it’s not a rat, but actually has some size on him. 10 min later, I sink my gaff into my first kayak yellowtail. Fish went 24lbs. What a rush!

Off the water in time to wash the yak off, and pick up the kid’s from school/care. Why can’t everyday be like this?
Attached Images

Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
swinginFish

WTG!

... and didn't I tell ya it would be 24lbs?

Congrats - was fun watching you work (vicarious thrills for the day).

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Damn good eye sir! And thanks for the OTW pic!!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
"Off the water in time to wash the yak off, and pick up the kid’s from school/care. Why can’t everyday be like this?"

If it was that simple everyone would do it!
Congrats on the "right kind" & the size!
Time on the water pays off.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Hell yeah, you f#$&kin motivate me! Nice fish!! I can't wait to get mine!!

i plan on going back September 14th.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
joezee1986

It's was our time to shine!!!! Congrats brotha
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
ctfphoto

Nice fish, The first one is the best one, well they're all fun I guess
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
kayakfisherman

Way to be persistant. That's all it takes.
Beauiful fish. Can't wait to hear about number 2.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

Nice job out there
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Tuff guy

nice work!
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
FISH11

Smile

Awesome report. Congratulations on not only your first, but a good size Yellow Tail from the kayak. I so much agree with you, that just being on the water and enjoying the beautiful view of La Jolla can make other places seem to be less desirable and no crazy PB's. Every time I leave La Jolla, I just can't wait to go out again. Tight Lines Cadillyak. P.S. It also make a great new Avatar.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Way to go!

I am so happy for you! You make me want to try again!

janine
Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
flemdogg
Island Blood

Nice work!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
YTHunter
Carlisle

Great report with a happy ending... just a matter of time with a positive attitude like that. Hope to see you out there some time.
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
sdmosch

Congrats!
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Tuesday

Cadillyak, congratulations on the great work you put in and the beautiful reward! I really just loved reading your report, so well written it's like a good book you just can't stop reading!!

Last edited by tsugg; 09-03-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spell ckr
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #17
svendawg

Good job

Thank you for the report, well written and inspiring. This gives me inspiration to get my ass our there and "get her done"
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
bmercury

Nice to see that you have something worth reporting now. I am still waiting.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
tamddo714

nice work out there buddy
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Thank you all for the kind words. It takes a special person to get on a piece of plastic, fight through waves, and brave the unknown in search of what we all desire. Just that moment, where the clicker goes off, the chance to fight the unknown. Who knows whats on the other side of your line? I salute my fellow kayak fisherman and women !!!