Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Battle of the Bays...

The Battle of the Bays Tournaments are fundraisers for the Coastal Conservation Association. I'm working with CCA money to fund these events...t-shirts, lunch, plaques, PayPal, and the printing of the flyers is coming out of the registration funds collected. We need at least 30 anglers signed up to make a go of it and not loose any money on this first event.
I've personally collected over $14,000 in prizes and gift cards to use as 1st thru 4th place prizes and as raffle prizes. The prizes range from t-shirts and hats and swim baits to a 4 day all expense paid trip to Cedros Kayak Fishing. Most participants will probably win something in the raffle since there are about 40 sponsors that have donated products including an i11s Hobie inflatable Mirage Drive kayak (valued at $2149).
Go to www.battleofthebays.com to register and for more info...click on the May 6th date button and it will send you to the iAngler app where you will register and go to PayPal to pay your $60...THE CCA MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT HAS BEEN REMOVED TO ENABLE MORE KAYAK ANGLERS TO AFFORD TO PARTICIPATE!

The advance registrations are coming in really slow...so...to spice things up a little, I'm offering a Phenix Inshore Rod to one of the first twenty anglers that sign up at iAngler. This will be a special drawing for just the first 20 that sign-up. This rod is valued at $179.00

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Completed my signup after Saturdays tournament.

I'm in...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

You know, the mandatory CCA membership is what stopped me from signing up, fishing buddies decided the same.

Not that I don't support what you guys do, its just too much $ at once.

But now that's removed, may have to reconsider.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Game on....

Got my board ,nice to meet ya Jim , I need to join CCA funny...I was on the "Board" of CCA before......California Contractor Association that is...before the housing market crashed...

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-17-2017 at 08:31 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
cris

Hey Jim,

is the captain's meeting on Friday evening mandatory?
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Hey Jim,

is the captain's meeting on Friday evening mandatory?
I never read anything about a captains meeting - both in the rules or on the flier. Where did you see the details on that? If there is, and its mandatory I'm screwed - the wife will not be happy me taking off on our 20th wedding anniversary...
Old 04-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I never read anything about a captains meeting - both in the rules or on the flier. Where did you see the details on that? If there is, and its mandatory I'm screwed - the wife will not be happy me taking off on our 20th wedding anniversary...

The iangler site has a captain's meeting listed for 4/29 at 10am. I guess that's the Saturday prior.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

Captains Meeting...?

The Captains meeting is not mandatory to participate...if you are using the iAngler app to compete in the CPR bass format it would be helpful for some guidence...but once you have registered you can actually practice logging in fish on the phone app. This photos are time stamped so they won't be usable in the tourney as well as not having the marker that will be given out the morning of the tourney so...no cheating there...!
The Captain's meeting is on Saturday April 29th. You can check out more info on the iAngler tournament page.
You don't even need to catch a fish to win the Grand Prize in this tourney...each participant will receive a drawing ticket and the winner will be drawn at the June 10th event in Redondo Beach....the i11s Hobie Mirage Drive kayak is a raffle ticket along with these prizes...free Division 23 Beer tasting and fish tacos made by Yanni "the Fisherman's Belly".

And some of this stuff too...

Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Ok Signed up!

Ok I'm in on Mission Bay!

Who's next?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
Saba Slayer

Smart Phone

I've had a couple of inquires about participating in the tournaments without a smart phone...
Yes it's possible for you "Old Timers"...just use your digital camera and bring the cord to download it on to a USB port and we'll be able to judge your fish on the photos you've taken...AND...I'll bring a card reader to each event and we could download your device with that method. It will slow down the judging a little bit but I don't expect too many guys to use that "old school" method.

Bottom line is...you can just sit in your yak and have a beer and still participate and still be eligible for the Grand Prize trip to Cedros with Cedros Kayak Fishing...

Sign-up now and get in as one of the last 4 anglers at a chance for a Phenix Inshore Rod

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 04-18-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
cris

Signed up for the king harbor event. Hope you get the sign ups you need to make this event happen.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #12
goldenglory18

That's one hell of a purse!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Saba Slayer

So Sign Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
That's one hell of a purse!
So Sign-up and win some of the loot...or a new Hobie i11s inflatable kayak with the new 180 Mirage Drive...!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 04-18-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Baja_Traveler

Been messing around with this iAngler Tournament app, and the more I mess with it the more I seem to like it. Kind of neat having announcements come through the app instead of having to check some website someplace. I'll get out this weekend and do some practice submissions to get used to that aspect of the app.

Captains Meeting April 29, 10am @ Mission Bay - I'll be there.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 04-18-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #15
John M

"You know, the mandatory CCA membership is what stopped me from signing up, fishing buddies decided the same.

Not that I don't support what you guys do, its just too much $ at once.

But now that's removed, may have to reconsider."

You guys are an embarrassment to the kayak community.
Jim has been busting his ass for years to help keep or improve our fishing and you won't spend $30 to help.
Invest in your future fishing and spend the $30 so you can fish in the future.
There are a ton of people out there that want nothing more than to take away our right to fish and CCA is the only organization out there that is doing anything about it.
Every person on this message board should be a member of CCA.
It's time to man up or shut up!

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

Wow...

WOW John...true... but a little harsh on the kayakers...LOL
I must say that the kayaking community is one of the most outspoken and proactive fishing groups on the water and I'm proud to represent them at all CCA and DFG meetings
When Andy and Mike were gracious enough to give me the time to talk to the Mission Bay Classic anglers...I asked how many kayakers were already CCA CAL members... it was a wonderful site to see about 20 to 25 kayakers raise their hands...this is more CCA members at a non CCA gathering than we have ever seen at an event. Wayne Kotow our Executive Director was quite amazed to see such a large number of members.
You are the reason we targeted the kayaking community for our first CCA CAL tournament in So Cal.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK KAYAKERS and thanks for your continued support of the Coastal Conservation Association...!
As a retired guy on a fixed income I can appreciate the cost considerations when entering a tourney and that was the reason I talked the higher-ups at CCA to drop the required membership. PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING CCA CAL!

Now...please sign-up for the tournaments...LOL

Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
John M

Jim
This was directed at the guys that at too cheep to spend $30 to support an organization that is working to save their fishing.
Guys like Andy have been doing a great job for the kayak community for many years.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
There are a ton of people out there that want nothing more than to take away our right to fish and CCA is the only organization out there that is doing anything about it.
Every person on this message board should be a member of CCA.
John
The statement is not entirely true.

As a previous board member of United Pier and Shore Anglers of California (UPSAC) and Southern California representative; I have spent many hours in meetings fighting the MLPA process, closer of Manhattan Pier due to shark incident, hoop net regulation meeting, fishing related meetings, etc. working on behalf of my fellow anglers.

Recently a day before the Fred Hall Show, it was a day of meeting with NOAA at the Aquarium of Pacific. CCA representatives were there too.

They were sitting close to the door. I am sorry not to remember their names.

My friend and president of UPSAC, Ken Jones (elbow on yellow pad) drove from Fresno to attend the meeting of behalf of California pier fishermen.

I am member of CCA, an old timer with “stupid” phone.
I DO plan to attend the Redondo Beach even, but waiting to make sure I can make the June 10th event.
Too far away, and life can sometimes get in the way.

Hope this event excludes any non-man powered vessels.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #19
Baja_Traveler

The way I do it, CCA membership is basically free.

I get my membership every year at the Fred Hall show - it gives me "free" entry to the show. Then, if I bother to collect all the giveaway stuff out of the coupon book CCA gives you (I didn't bother this year) the total value received equals or exceeds the money spent on membership.

The way I described it to Jim at last weeks tournament, it's equivalent to joining the NRA (of which I'm a life member) to defend my rights. If I were king, CCA membership would be a requirement for every tournament, because our elected idiots in Sacramento give a rats behind about our right to fish (which is spelled out in the California Constitution and has already been trampled on with the MPA's).
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
Saba Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

Hope this event excludes any non-man powered vessels.
Sorry Hasheim...Rule # 3... (Mitchel gets to use his electric motor)

"3. Vessel:
Kayak, Float Tube, Canoe, and Stand-Up Paddle Boards are the only permitted watercrafts in this event. Electric motors are allowed."

"They were sitting close to the door. I am sorry not to remember their names."

That looks like Harold Davis, Wayne Kotow, and Big Joe Exline sitting at the end of the table by the door.