Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
Bluewater Jon
Author & yakker

Anyone ever use a paddle on a Revo 13

I'm curious about the paddling abilities of the Revo 13. Sometime my knees bother me and it'd be nice to have the option of paddling. Years ago I paddled Scupper Pros and then a Prowler; I imagine paddling a Revo would be as quick but maybe it's still a legit way of using the boat.
Bluewater Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
acorad

I have a 13. I haven't paddled it a lot, but it seems to work fine.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater Jon View Post
I'm curious about the paddling abilities of the Revo 13. Sometime my knees bother me and it'd be nice to have the option of paddling. Years ago I paddled Scupper Pros and then a Prowler; I imagine paddling a Revo would be as quick but maybe it's still a legit way of using the boat.

I have a Revo 13 and Revo 11. I've had to paddle my Revo 13 about 2 miles back in to fix my drives.

It was OK and I made it back in. But it sure wasn't fun. The Revo 13 doesn't paddle as well as the Malibu I used. But if you just wanted to paddle if your legs get tired... That's totally fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

I recently upgraded from a Malibu - X factor to a Hobie Revo and made the promise to myself that I would still paddle.

That being said last weekend I made a 2-3 mile paddle back. Gotta say that I feel that the Revo is actually faster and lighter to paddle. The only thing that I find a bit annoying is that its really hard to keep a straight heading with the rudder while you have your paddle in your hands. Maybe the sailing rudder would be a bit better.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
John M

I have had a Revo 13 since 2010, try to NEVER paddle it.
Does not track, likes to skid all over the place.
It's a peddle yak. I love it, just never paddle it.
Started off with a Scupper Pro and moved to a Prowler, both paddle good.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
PescadorPete

My Revo 13 doesn't paddle as nicely as my Scupper Pro but it still does a good job. You have to get the rudder set so it tracks straight.

I usually get some paddling in on each fishing session for some arm workout.

If you're going to do it, do yourself a favor. Ditch the Hobie paddle and get something nicer. I use an ONNO.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
FISH11

I've only done it in the surf and for a short distance. It is better than any other mirage drive Hobie, but the tracking sucks. Hell the tracking sucks when I'm using the Mirage drive with my sailing rudder, I find that I have to correct every 10 seconds or so if there is any kind of wind or current.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Bluewater Jon
Author & yakker

ok this is all interesting stuff guys I appreciate. One of the reasons I was looking at Revo was that I thought it might enable me to switch back and forth but the majority of you are saying it can be paddled but it's not great. Maybe I'd be better off then with an Outback but since all I do is offshore and speed and distance is important to me I'll still stick with the Revo.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater Jon View Post
ok this is all interesting stuff guys I appreciate. One of the reasons I was looking at Revo was that I thought it might enable me to switch back and forth but the majority of you are saying it can be paddled but it's not great. Maybe I'd be better off then with an Outback but since all I do is offshore and speed and distance is important to me I'll still stick with the Revo.

Don't buy a OB. Slow to peddle and paddle. Plus when you peddle and are in chop you get haul slap of waves and get wet. I've owned both. Revo are like sports car and OB like tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
King Saba

It doesn't paddle as well as an actual paddle kayak. Without the rudder the tracking is pretty poor especially when the wind picks up. If you want kayak that's fast and still paddles well then get a revo 16. The tracking on that beauty is pretty great. Still not as good as say an OK prowler 13 or 15 though.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
summers in kuwait

I used to paddle my Revo 13 in and out of the surf, through the kelp and randomly when I wanted to paddle. As mentioned, its okay. The flatter bottom design is not as efficient as traditional paddling kayaks, but that design helps with stability. Currently, Im in a Thresher 155 which paddles well, better with a rudder and I recently got a Revolution 16. The Revo 16 is awesome and paddles a lot better than the 13.

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Bluewater Jon
Author & yakker

Wow the Revo 16. How's the portability of that? If I put it in the bed of my truck there'd still be like feet sticking out. I wonder even with a bed extender if it would work. It must be significantly faster than the 13 or yiu would not have bought it right?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
summers in kuwait

I have a short bed Tacoma and have used a bed extender for years. It's sticks out!! It would probably be ideal to rack, but I've yet date, had anyone pull me over and debate the 2/3 wheelbase rule and where that point starts.

With all honesty, you will probably rarely use the paddle unless you consciously decide to paddle as the mirage drive design is what these boats are all about.
I like to paddle and switch it up every once and while or if my ankle starts acting up. The Revo 16 is def. the best paddling option within the hobie line. Although I considered paddling when I upgraded, I also considered additional storage, livewell space and overall speed.

The Revo 16 is pretty damn fast with turbo fins and upgraded rudder.
Stevooo has been in the format for years and did an awesome job of reviewing. You can search and see his feedback.

Cheers!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Saba Slayer

Paddling a Hobie...

Hi Jon
The New Trident line from OK blows away the Scupper Pro and the Prowler, which are both great fishy old paddling boats...I've owned all three when I was with the OK team.
As far as the Hobie's go...I like paddling my Adventure Island without the akas and amas (outriggers). It seems to track well and is pretty stable. I usually only paddle it up in the Sierras on the lakes and creeks.

It's 16' long and tracks well especially with the big sailing rudder...and it's a blast when the sail and outriggers are on it...and you won't get sore knees sailing...
As far as the Revo 13...the Hobie's hulls are designed to maximize the effect of the mirage drive and the steering with your hands makes it difficult to steer while paddling...so it tends to wander a bit.
The foot steering on the longer Trident makes it so easy to paddle and steer. If my hand arthritis was not as bad as it is, I might still be in an Ocean Kayak or and old Wilderness hull...damn fast boats and they punch thru surf pretty well!
I know I'm a Hobie team guy but if you're looking for a strictly paddling boat I'd stick with the OK line.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 07-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
Sheephead

I've never owned a paddling kayak but I'd like to say my revo paddles very well! It's a bit clunky if you have the drive in or the rudder down. Normally i'll pull my rudder up and bring along the mirage drive plug and stick that in which drastically improves its paddle ability. If your too afraid to take your drive out put the peddle blades flush with the bottom and that helps too.

It paddles .2 - .4mph faster than peddling for me at a casual pace.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
Bluewater Jon
Author & yakker

Thanks everyone for your help!
Jon