Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #21
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice freaking Croaker!!!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:43 AM   #22
swinginFish

WSB

Congratulations on a great catch!

Appreciate your referencing "luck over skill," but landing a fish of that size in any way requires that you keep your wits. Very nice, entertaining write up. Thanks.

As for the head stones, they're interesting, but not relevant to the referenced Hubbs/Seaworld research/replenishment project. For those interested, see the following website (http://www.hswri.org/research/resear...m.cfm?reaID=27). Better yet, call and arrange a tour.

In short, the raised and released WSB's have small ID tags inserted in their cheeks, and by bringing in the head of a caught WSB, the researchers can determine if there's a tag and, if so, gather all kinds of important data (e.g., Info. on age and migration patterns). If you look at their site, there's a link to another that notes WSB head drop off locations.

BTW: This WSB project is funded in part by the DFG, and will receive some of the funds raised by next year's WCW tournament.

Now go catch another!

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #23
Ed
Fringe Head

FYI -

The ear stones are called otoliths and can be used to age fish.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #24
tattuna

Great story and awesome catch!!! Congrats on pulling it off without a gaff!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
lamb

Great catch, congrats!

I hear one of those could steer the things up in WCW top 3 – big time!

On WSB Scripps research program – yes, they are collecting heads hoping to find the tags. Very nice bunch of cool scientist guys, Brad’s cousins.

When I was there the last time, it didn’t come across to me they don’t care about the stones from the head. They actually gently indicated they are very interested in analyzing the stones, as they get a ton of valuable information from them. They just know that fishermen like to keep WSB stones as a trophy, so they don’t advertise it fearing people would not be turning in the heads, that possibly have the tags if fish came from the program. Very, very few fish turned in actually have the tag.

If I ever catch my next WSB, they’ll be getting the stones too.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #26
Dean Machine

:shock: SWEET fish!!! Congratulations, I am still waiting for my first legal wsb. Great story!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #27
steveooo

ops: Doh!
I didnt know about the head hunter program so I hacked my head with a hatchet to get the stones.
But I called Tim Conerty from the program and he was pretty cool and said he still wants it so Im going dumpster diving right now. 8)
Basically the program finds out how many hatchery fish are caught through a cheek implant, plus it can track migration ect.

Gabe, the guy at the sportfishing shop said 2 things. 1) "you were lucky there is no kelp right now" I metered only two 15ft strands the whole time I was out. My question still stands; is kelp seasonal? 2) "...when Gabe caught his fish..." came out in about every other sentence!!! You are a friggen celebrity man!!!

Thanks for the comments everyone
-steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #28
twinfin

Not bad for a Canook What an amazing catch! Great job
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #29
PEMEX

The heads can be turned in at some tackle shops and landings also. They will be frozen and turned in for research purposes. I don't know which ones off the top of my head, but if you get one drop by your local tackle shop and ask if they participate. Just don't tell themexactly where, and how you cought the fish because they will repeat it to everyone and their mother!
PEMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #30
JimPat

Thanks for the clarification

Good to know that they wnat the whole head vice the stones. Of course we will have to wait until I catch one for any of that to matter for me, but I am thinking that I will try and arrange one of those tours that was mentioned.

For those that celebrate, Merry Christmas!!
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #31
k2rick

the reason i was asking was that i found one on my hook about 2 weeks ago while fishing the west bouy by the harbour mouth in dp. i had no idea what it was, as a matter of fact it kind of freaked me out, i thought it was some kind of fish tongue.

btw how deep were u fishing and what area was it?
k2rick is offline   Reply With Quote