Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Just explain to the boss that by time you upgrade your way through 4 kayaks to end up at the Hobie, you will have saved double the cost by just going straight to the Hobie in the first place
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
MH150
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Just explain to the boss that by time you upgrade your way through 4 kayaks to end up at the Hobie, you will have saved double the cost by just going straight to the Hobie in the first place
Well, there is that. Sometimes it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Regarding the Hobie, or any other heavy model. How do you get it loaded up on a rack? My back does give me fits at times so I can’t see picking it up that high.

Also, above it was mentioned “unless you have a bad back” regarding the Hobie. Is that due to the weight or something else?
MH150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

One thing I’d recommend is avoiding a padded seat on the kayak... get something with a raised seat like in that xfactor.
I’m pretty young, and I’m barely good for a few hours sitting direct on the kayak. Wet seat, numb ass, sore back.

That was my number one reason for upgrading, and why I went new on a hobie rather than used.

Pedal is nice but it’s a convenience more than necessity.

I’ll say that my hobie outback at 80lbs empty is a bear to wrestle with solo.
The compass looks interesting as something about 10lbs lighter and just as stable.

But yeah... if you’re going freshwater, an even lighter kayak may do you well.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

I'd bite the bullet and go with a PA 14 if I were you. Yes you will pay more at first, but at least you won't have to buy 2 or even 3 kayaks as you work your way up to the PA. Once you figure out how to move it around and how to load and unload, it will be a breeze. There are many guys here over the years that would never even considered buying a Hobie let alone a PA...only to end up with one anyway. So my advice is to just do it!

Go see Andy over at OEX!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

I used to put my PA on top of my GMC Envoy. Luckily it was one with a retractable roof so it was a bit easier, but still a beast for 150# 5'11" of me to put up there after a full day on the water. I made bunks out of carpeted 2x4s which helped immensely, but it is still a bear to slide up there. Like many I bought an old jetski trailer which I now use. Downside of that is storage and being limited on which lanes you can use on the freeway. I do like having the lockable box to keep most of the gear in, though.

Tradeoffs.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
tak100
Recruit

Also, above it was mentioned “unless you have a bad back” regarding the Hobie. Is that due to the weight or something else?[/QUOTE]

This was reference to the two styles of seats that kayaks have. The older hobies and many other kayaks have a soft seat and the support for your back are straps. Newer Outbacks and PA's have a lawn chair style seat which provides much better back support.

Note if you want to fish salt water a sit-on-top is the way to go. If you want to fish fresh water many of the local lakes will only allow sit-in kayaks. So make sure make an informed decision based on where you want to fish.

Better to do some research and buy once then go through several upgrades. The hobies do have much better resale value in my limited experience.

Best of luck.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
MH150
Junior

Thank you all for the great tips and advice. I’m going to dig a bit more and try not to jump into something too fast.

As a side note, your comments about the Malibu’s leaking are something I’ve read several times. That is not encouraging at all.

Would love to hear any more thoughts or tips. Keep them coming!

-M
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
Big John
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH150 View Post
Thank you all for the great tips and advice. I’m going to dig a bit more and try not to jump into something too fast.

As a side note, your comments about the Malibu’s leaking are something I’ve read several times. That is not encouraging at all.

Would love to hear any more thoughts or tips. Keep them coming!

-M

They are really comfortable as of most, leak was my only negative. Whatever yak you decide to get, a high back seat is the secret to comfort and back soreness! Hit me up if you ever want to go out and do some fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
MH150
Junior

Quote:
If you want to fish fresh water many of the local lakes will only allow sit-in kayaks. So make sure make an informed decision based on where you want to fish.
In my limited research, I found that Diamond Valley does not allow sit on top. I need to dig deeper on this point for sure.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
I bought 2 last year and still ended up buying a pa12 with Fred Hall deals because of this simple reason. After 2 day weekend fishing binges I could not get out of bed on Monday due to soreness/tightness. My "economical" cheaper kayaks just are not comfortable enough and I don't even have back problems. So it was a no brainer to upgrade, I enjoy my day more hands free, pain free, and I'm able do more without the needed recovery time.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote