Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
La_angler18
Junior

ROD, REEL AND KAYAK OVERHAUL

What's going on guys. I'm in the market for a few things but I need suggestions. Purchasing a rod and reel for use on the kayak. I'm looking for something that will land me some yellowtail, wsb, halibut, bass, etc. I was thinking of something not too heavy but not too light. Ive been looking into brands but currency is somewhat restricted. I'm looking at reliability, performance, and cost effectiveness.
Also, I'm looking for a fish finder, nothing fancy but reliable. I'm starting to rig my yak up and I need a live bait tank. My kayak is an ocean kayak caper 11'. Note that this is my first kayak and I'll most likely upgrade in the future, but for now I want to purchase a few things to get me out on the water more frequently. Thank you guys, please show some input.

Last edited by La_angler18; 09-03-2015 at 09:18 PM.
La_angler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

bait tank

Youtube Vita Vault bait tanks... Thats one option or you could get a hobie tank but they cost 300 bucks. I built myself one but ran the intake and overflow through the scupper holes instead of over the side to reduce drag.
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
La_angler18
Junior

I've seen these being used as bait tanks but i thought they were sold as is. I didnt know it was a DIY. Ill look into it. Wouldn't mind customizing one for a fraction of price. Thank you dsutter775.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
taggermike

Your gear can be new cheaper stuff or more expensive used stuff. I usually go the second route. But A Penn 500, daiwa sealine, or Shimano TLD 15/30 on a 7' rated 20-40 lb ugly stick tiger will kill about any fish in so cal. So many options. Almost all my gear is used and it works fine. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
La_angler18
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Your gear can be new cheaper stuff or more expensive used stuff. I usually go the second route. But A Penn 500, daiwa sealine, or Shimano TLD 15/30 on a 7' rated 20-40 lb ugly stick tiger will kill about any fish in so cal. So many options. Almost all my gear is used and it works fine. Mike
Thank you for your input Mike. One of these reels and the tiger rod will most likely be my first set up. After a while I'll upgrade to something more expensive.