Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
October
Fish Whisperer

First Time Ocean yak fishing questions...

Ok. I have been gathering as much intel as I could the last few months before I brave the ocean. I have been practicing in the local lakes and what not and I feel like I will be able to manage the big blue. I just have a couple questions. Sorry if they sound stupid. It takes me probably nearly 2 hours to get to la jolla from where im coming so I want to be 110% prepared so that my odds at not flipping and catching fish are greater.

1) I see everyone say that you should turn your fish ID off on your FF. Why is that?

2) What is the best most effective way to rig live bait? If I want to go deep, should I use a 2oz sinker? Carolina rigged? Dropper loop with a 40 oz? or stick to fly lining? Which brings me to my next question

3) I keep seeing people say dont do a basic dropper loop. Do a spider hitch dropper loop. Someone tried explaining it but it sounded way confusing and I cant find a visual online.

4) do La Jolla kelp beds have decent calicos? I was thinking of bringing a lighter setup in case my YT ventures don't succeed.

5) Im going to be in a 12 footer (tarpon 120 hull). Any tips on managing a smaller yak out there?

Last edited by October; 08-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
blitzburgh

[QUOTE=October;130243]1) I see everyone say that you should turn your fish ID off on your FF. Why is that? QUOTE]

Fish ID will show you a fish icon for everything it pings off of between you and your boat. Finding fish by arches is the reliable method. The arch you see on your FF is based on the size of the fishes air bladder.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
TJones

2 hours out?

i should be around the corner from you. scoop me up , lets piggy yaks , and i can answer all those questions on the water.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
silentviper

Quote:
3) I keep seeing people say dont do a basic dropper loop. Do a spider hitch dropper loop. Someone tried explaining it but it sounded way confusing and I cant find a visual online.
I can't answer any question but this one, here's a step by step. http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...ts_spider.html i guess animatedknots.com doesn't have this one under this name.
silentviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
October
Fish Whisperer

[QUOTE=blitzburgh;130245]
Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
1) I see everyone say that you should turn your fish ID off on your FF. Why is that? QUOTE]

Fish ID will show you a fish icon for everything it pings off of between you and your boat. Finding fish by arches is the reliable method. The arch you see on your FF is based on the size of the fishes air bladder.
on mine, it shows a visual of the terrain. even like tall thin weeds. and then occasionally, it will ping fish her or there. in the weeds, behind rocks, under floating structure, etc...

so thats not actually fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
i should be around the corner from you. scoop me up , lets piggy yaks , and i can answer all those questions on the water.
Where are you locateD?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Ok. I have been gathering as much intel as I could the last few months before I brave the ocean. I have been practicing in the local lakes and what not and I feel like I will be able to manage the big blue. I just have a couple questions. Sorry if they sound stupid. It takes me probably nearly 2 hours to get to la jolla from where im coming so I want to be 110% prepared so that my odds at not flipping and catching fish are greater.

1) I see everyone say that you should turn your fish ID off on your FF. Why is that?

Give it a try and determine

2) What is the best most effective way to rig live bait? If I want to go deep, should I use a 2oz sinker? Carolina rigged? Dropper loop with a 40 oz? or stick to fly lining? Which brings me to my next question

Definately get an assortment of 2oz to 10oz torpedo sinkers for different wind and current conditions. Try all rigs to find what you like and what works

Check youtube for knots. There are plenty of videos.

4) do La Jolla kelp beds have decent calicos? I was thinking of bringing a lighter setup in case my YT ventures don't succeed.

Yes and a good back up plan

5) Im going to be in a 12 footer (tarpon 120 hull). Any tips on managing a smaller yak out there

Lean slightly forward and keep your back straight when paddling, this keeps your hips under you and more stable. Keep the hips loose. Keep all your movements fluid. When fighting a big fish, keep your rod tip around 11 oclock position in front of you, never out to the side or you can flip the boat and have a yard sale. Your boat is plenty stable for most conditions. Good luck.?
See in quote for answers
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Dirty Curti

My Son has the Tarpon 120 and he had no problems getting out and around there. Although on his way in he didn't manage the wave ride as good as he should've. Make sure everything is stored away or leashed when landing and have your paddle ready to counter steer the ride. You'll be fine.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
blitzburgh

[QUOTE=October;130251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

on mine, it shows a visual of the terrain. even like tall thin weeds. and then occasionally, it will ping fish her or there. in the weeds, behind rocks, under floating structure, etc...

so thats not actually fish?
If your FishID is on, then it might be a fish or might not. More than likely, yes. If you want to be sure, turn FishID off and find the arches.