Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
zenspearo

Kayakfishermen/spearos/fishermen are intimidating and violent--The new enviro tactic

Guys/gals,

I've been talking to a few people and we notice a particular pattern emerging recently and in a quite coordinated manner.

Taking a page out of the 60's playbook against the civil rights movement, there is now a coordinated effort on the anti-fishing side to paint spearos, fishermen, and anyone who shows up at MLPA meeting to testify as "intimidation."

The lynching attempt is on.

This is a well-proven strategy for those in power.

By painting those of us who exercise our constitutional right to peacefully assemble and speak out and redress grievances as "violent" or "intimidation", they hope to motivate their sympathetic authority to take action to repress.

We see this latest coordinated effort increasing in tempo and volume at the June 4, 2009 BRTF meeting and subsequently online. Person after person, RSG members and non-RSG members from the enviro side, come up to the BRTF and allege generalized "intimidation" by fishermen and then spread the same message online. This is despite the fact that out of over 200 spearo/kayakfishermen/fishermen showing up at the meeting, not a single incident can be cited.

ZERO EVIDENCE. For that, we should be proud.

You are now the new Selma marchers. You are bucking a hostile governmental/private coalition in asking for fairness and consideration for yourself. Learn the lesson from history. Peace and persistent are key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_t...gomery_marches

Your best bet, your ONLY choice, and the purpose of this post, is NOT to play into their hands. Every spearo, kayakfisherman, commercial fisherman makes his/her best impact when you show up, you continue to speak respectfully, you act civilly, you continue to work peacefully, smile, educate, and recruit convert, and you represent the best of the gentleman sportsman tradition.

Let your passion and energy be channeled into organizing, showing up, and delivering the best points you can, as well as smile and win converts.

Remember that this site, Bloodydecks, and Spearboard are heavily monitored (Steve Benavides, one of the enviro RSG, admitted that much in the recent OC Diving News discussions). Materials have been plagiarized from our work.

We are leading by example, and they are struggling to paint us as violent and intimidation (thank god the days of lynching and dogs and firehoses are behind us). There have been attempts at provoking us into responding (one tried to provoke me at the last meeting). Just let it roll off.

So the fanatics will try to provoke--I'm pretty sure it's going to be a coordinated effort on this point from hereon. Anything they can do to reinforce their attempt at painting fishermen, spearos, and kayakfishermen as intimidating. This is a frequently-used Childrens' Pool tactics by the seal people--slash out and then play the victim--a well-worn page in their playbook.

Just smile and hand out literature and speak civilly. Going forward, if we are going to f$ck up, or if they can goad us into f$cking up, losing our cool and getting censured for "intimidation" is the way it's gonna happen and their wetdream comes true.

Stay friendly, stay frosty, do your best to let it roll off your back. If you get yelled at or spit on--don't fight, don't react. Go get a DFG agent at the meeting and report. Or get me or Chris Fiero or someone similar, and we'll deal with it.

Last edited by zenspearo; 06-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs up

A good reminder Joe! thanks!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

And when this tactic doesn't work, they will then accuse us of bribing people to speak in our favor.

...ooops, I'm sorry, did I just ruin one of your plans there, enviros?

Funny, last session I saw a couple of the women enviros throwing some glares our way, they sure didn't look like they were intimidated...intimidating maybe, just not intimidated.

Good advice there Joe.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
dorado50

Ok, someone yells at me or spits on me,I'll be sure to ignore it and calmly come ond get you to handle the situation for me. Thanks for that....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
We see this latest coordinated effort increasing in tempo and volume at the June 4, 2009 BRTF meeting and subsequently online. Person after person, RSG members and non-RSG members from the enviro side, come up to the BRTF and allege generalized "intimidation" by fishermen and then spread the same message online. This is despite the fact that out of over 200 spearo/kayakfishermen/fishermen showing up at the meeting, not a single incident can be cited.
Though I did not see it first hand, I figured when I saw them return at the end of the meeting that that was going to be their strategy. They intentionally abandoned the general comment section in order to come back later and play the intimidation card.

When you have the votes you go with the votes. When you don't have the votes you blame the process or claim someone is trying to intimidate you and keep you out of the process.

It's like the applause thing. No-one applauded until the enviros applauded for several of their speakers. The Next fishing speaker got massive applause and then suddenly applause was a problem, and we were told not to applaud.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
bellcon

Quote:
Ok, someone yells at me or spits on me,I'll be sure to ignore it and calmly come ond get you to handle the situation for me. Thanks for that....
Dave,
your post almost always make me smile

"Excuse me Chris... I dont mean to interupt... but that Peta lady just yelled at me... and then Spit on me...Can you help a bother out...Please"

now back to the good points made by this post...
Thanks zenspearo!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post

I think anyone of us can take down the whiny guys and girls. Physically. But that plays directly into their hands.

If you follow the Childrens' Pool saga, this is usually what happens. One of the seal people shoves a beachgoer. Immediately after that, the seal person screams "assault" and conveniently, another person is there to act as a "witness." We have the whole thing on videotape if you want to watch.

Their goal is to compile the police records to further their claim that they are victimized. Or to sue your homeowner insurance for nuisance value.

Whether you can handle yourself is not the issue. In fact, they KNOW you can and are able to physically defend yourself. They will goad you into it and turn around and play victim to have the system come after you.

When you come and get one of us, we won't be physically responding either. Whatever happens, we will try to make sure we get the incident on official record. I'm a lawyer, and a witness/participant of some gnarly Berkeley protests in my days. So I've seen this game played a few times.

That is the best way to respond to their attempt to paint us as intimidating and violent. It's more helpful, strategically, than the temporary satisfaction of physically responding (which I know you will prevail).

That's all I'm saying.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Dave,
your post almost always make me smile

"Excuse me Chris... I dont mean to interupt... but that Peta lady just yelled at me... and then Spit on me...Can you help a bother out...Please"

now back to the good points made by this post...
Thanks zenspearo!
That's exactly what you do. Okay, may be not in the exact language, but that's the smart play.

They have a lot of fanatics and end-justify-means people. Jim Day had been in the environmental movement in his past and can tell you. Do you want to get tangled in an assault lawsuit pressed by a fanatic who is angling to be a martyr for the cause?

Ideally, one of us will get the DFG. One of us will keep track of the person assaulting, and we'll work together to get the person arrested and get the incident on record (and preventing you, in your insanely pissed-off mood, from getting yourself in trouble just like they hope you would--just don't swing at us).
Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hmmmm....dirty tactics...false accusations...lying...kinda makes ya feel like they think they might lose eh????

I think we all know who we are and I must say I have attempted to try and be nice to the enviros who in turn stare at me with hateful eyes!! Oh well so much for goodwill and a fair fight!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
fryguy

maybe we should have an extreme side....

you know, so we can have a better picture of where the "middle ground" is.....

hell, we should accuse them of everything they accuse us of
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I suppose there must be a fine perceptual line between someone who appears to be intimidating and one who is simply mad as hell. From my perspective, I see nothing wrong with letting everyone know that we are upset at the prospect of losing something that is very precious to us.

We are defending our rights here. Sure we must avoid unreasonable behavior but I see nothing wrong with showing a little outrage and righteous anger under the circumstances. If this is considered to be intimidation by some, so be it.

Am I missing something here?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

We are defending our rights here. Sure we must avoid unreasonable behavior but I see nothing wrong with showing a little outrage and righteous anger under the circumstances. If this is considered to be intimidation by some, so be it.

Am I missing something here?

Bob
Unfortunately, yes. When you have 100+ people that feel the same as you, then if even 1/2 of them react in the fashion you mentioned, showing a little outrage, therein lies the intimidation claim and rightly so...

Remember, some people will try anything to further their cause...even if it comes to lying...

Tman
Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Funny, last session I saw a couple of the women enviros throwing some glares our way, they sure didn't look like they were intimidated...intimidating maybe, just not intimidated.

Good advice there Joe.
They think you're Hot and want your body !

I have an idea of how to neutralize this latest ecoterrorist strategy, more at Joe's house.
2 ideas actually.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
jflyfysh
Junior

[quote=Jim Day;39843]Though I did not see it first hand, I figured when I saw them return at the end of the meeting that that was going to be their strategy. They intentionally abandoned the general comment section in order to come back later and play the intimidation card.

When you have the votes you go with the votes. When you don't have the votes you blame the process or claim someone is trying to intimidate you and keep you out of the process.

told not to applaud. [/quotIt's like the applause thing. No-one applauded until the enviros applauded for several of their speakers. The Next fishing speaker got massive applause and then suddenly applause was a problem, and we were e]
jflyfysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
dorado50

I don't want to put myself in a situation like that because I know of the volitility involved. I know the personalities of these people and how they intimidate to incite. I cannot nor will I ever be in the same room as these people. Lets just say its against my "religion". Good luck to you all on this ordeal. I will and continue to contribute $.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Willy

I think the meat of this post shouldn't be lost;

STAY CLASSY.
Calling people tyrants and calling out individual members in front of the audience may get you high fives in the hallway, or popularity in highschool, but it does us no real good. It will be used as ammunition against us when the last battles are fought.

Hopefully calm and logic will prevail here and we won't get all of our freedom stripped away from us.

Our passion and our unity is our strength, but it must be focused and controlled. While a win for the envrionmentalists is just a feather in their cap, it is a change in lifestyle for us.

Imagine if we told them they can no longer be environmentalists. And conviened a 'blue ribbon task force' to make it law. They would have lost their civility far earlier than we have kept ours, and that is essentially what they are trying to do to us, is trying to tell us how to live our lives. Classic leftists.

We are on the right track here, just STAY CLASSY.

BTW Paul, Joe, Holy Greenback, and the few others who have been driving this bus, enough thanks can't be given for your efforts.
Maybe years in the future when you are bobbing in your 'yak in La Jolla, or silently sliding between kelp stringers with your gun at the ready, you'll feel some deep satisfaction. Because people came to take away your freedom, and you stood fast, and stood there with class and pride and said NO!

I will.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Billy V

To Forewarn Someone is to Forearm Them.

It is because of the above statement that the enviro trick will not work.

You've been warned about their plan, but they don't know ours.
-They will lose.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Funny how a minority can complain and impose their will on the majority.

That is what happens when you don't get involved...

"We love fishing and we love fishermen, but we want our grandchildren to be able to fish." Quoted verbatim.

So, you don't want us to teach our children to fish, ergo, our grandchildren will have to fend for themselves?

Because if our children don't know how to fish...

What if we want to teach our children to fish, to be able to provide?

I pose this question to those who may be reading this site. And to those who choose not to get involved.

And, I posed this query to a couple of Clay's classmates and their sisters...

You know what their responses (unanimously) were?

From the mouths of babes...

"Why won't they let us fish?"

The Bard must be rolling in his grave...so, since he loved fishing, and a majority of his works are intertwined with references to fishing, are all of you conservatives now going to boycott reading any works by Shakespeare?

"Fools are as like husbands as pilchards are to herring; the husband's the bigger."

Tman
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
DESTROYER

KILL EM WITH KINDNESS!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote