Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

battery question - need more juice?

So I followed YakDout's suggestion on how to mount my new HDS-5.

So to summarize my new FF in 3 words or less .. "I LOVE IT".

Took it out for an exploratory trip with my buddy and fellow BWEdger Kevin (aka Silbaugh4liberty) this past Sunday. The guys were impressed with the quality of the image, and kept asking if it was streaming HD, Netflix or DirecTv.

Anyway, I loved it till my full charged battery died about 3 hours into the session. Got it home and found the voltage had dropped to 11.52 Volts.

According to the manual, it can use a power source from 10 to 18 volts so I'm not sure why it suddenly powered off. I didn't to take a chance on rebooting and ruining the battery so I fished 'visible structure' without it.

So my question - what size battery SHOULD I be using to power this thing? Would be advisable to up the voltage, the amps or both?

i'm currently using a 12 v, 5 amp battery. Any suggestions on how to get more usage for this electronically challenged angler?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
TJones

Battery amps

8 amp would be more sufficient for short trips , probably 7 hrs or 8 max . 10 amp for longer trips , maybe 8 - 10 hrs , and 18 amp can power larger 7 " screens all day. If you do long trips on the water , I would recommend at least a 10 amp battery as to reduce , or eliminate power problems . Also it us recommended to have a 3 amp fuse inline . A lot of helpful guys should chime in right about now . B
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
According to the manual, it can use a power source from 10 to 18 volts so I'm not sure why it suddenly powered off. I didn't to take a chance on rebooting and ruining the battery so I fished 'visible structure' without it.

So my question - what size battery SHOULD I be using to power this thing? Would be advisable to up the voltage, the amps or both?

i'm currently using a 12 v, 5 amp battery. Any suggestions on how to get more usage for this electronically challenged angler?

Thanks.
12V 5amp? I didn't know they made them that small...............that appears to be your problem.

These are the specs for the HDS-5

Power Supply: Input Current 0.7A at 13VDC with backlight on, 0.4A with backlight off

Its not the 12volts that's your issue, its the amps, you don't have enough amps in that battery. I would suggest that at a minimum you get a 12v 12amp battery and if you have the money get a Bioenno LiFePo4 battery, they're expensive but they run and run and run.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
TJones

battery juice

[QUOTE=jorluivil;195143]12V 5amp? I didn't know they made them that small...............that appears to be your problem.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Mr GreenJeans

Quote:

Anyway, I loved it till my full charged battery died about 3 hours into the session. Got it home and found the voltage had dropped to 11.52 Volts.

According to the manual, it can use a power source from 10 to 18 volts so I'm not sure why it suddenly powered off.
Once the FF shut down, the battery got a chance to "rest" and the voltage came back up to 10+ volts. If you had tried to run the FF again, the battery would have powered it briefly before the unit shut down again.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
8 amp would be more sufficient for short trips , probably 7 hrs or 8 max . 10 amp for longer trips , maybe 8 - 10 hrs , and 18 amp can power larger 7 " screens all day. If you do long trips on the water , I would recommend at least a 10 amp battery as to reduce , or eliminate power problems . Also it us recommended to have a 3 amp fuse inline . A lot of helpful guys should chime in right about now . B
Thanks for the input. I will definitely be including a fuse on the new battery as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
12V 5amp? I didn't know they made them that small...............that appears to be your problem.

These are the specs for the HDS-5

Power Supply: Input Current 0.7A at 13VDC with backlight on, 0.4A with backlight off

Its not the 12volts that's your issue, its the amps, you don't have enough amps in that battery. I would suggest that at a minimum you get a 12v 12amp battery and if you have the money get a Bioenno LiFePo4 battery, they're expensive but they run and run and run.
Its a battery I used for a smaller FF. It was plenty fine for a day out on the water but then again it didn't draw as much juice as the new one.

I looked up the Bionenno but didn't see a 12 amp battery. I see a 10 amp or 20 amp option. The price difference is substantial at $84 vs $222. Could I get away with a 10 amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GreenJeans View Post
Once the FF shut down, the battery got a chance to "rest" and the voltage came back up to 10+ volts. If you had tried to run the FF again, the battery would have powered it briefly before the unit shut down again.
I have heard that this also damages the battery so that it won't hold a charge as long too.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I will definitely be including a fuse on the new battery as well.

Its a battery I used for a smaller FF. It was plenty fine for a day out on the water but then again it didn't draw as much juice as the new one.

I looked up the Bionenno but didn't see a 12 amp battery. I see a 10 amp or 20 amp option. The price difference is substantial at $84 vs $222. Could I get away with a 10 amp?

I have heard that this also damages the battery so that it won't hold a charge as long too.
I have a 12 v 14 amp battery last me all day

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I have a 12 v 14 amp battery last me all day
Didn't you throw that one overboard after it caught fire?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Shut up Tony

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote