Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
carbonbass

bonito?

Favorite places to Target bonito? Know that redondo has some but was wondering if Orange county has some spots to get them. What is the best time of the year for them ?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
taggermike

I wish I knew a spot where I could catch bonito because I haven't caught one in 2 years. Kinda strange for a fish that is usually so common. Any one seen many bones other than at Cat in the last few years/ Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
PapaDave

Many years ago you could catch them off the piers and just about anywhere. From what I heard, they became a target for the commercial fishing boats for some reason and they have since become kind of scarce. That was when the DFG put restricitons on their size.

They were/are one of my favorite fish to catch just for the fight they would put up on light line.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
rooster707

We used to get them pretty often at cat, a few times i saw guys get em off a pier in san diego, other than that, nope. Be sure to let us know!
rooster707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Rusty

Usually a late summer / early fall sorta thing when the water warms up. They tend to get thick around the 'nados and 9 mile bank. Seen 'em from PL - LJ a lot... mixed in with 'cuda and friends. I'd bet they show up in the OC too. They like shiny objects... like women.

Last edited by Rusty; 04-16-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
swank

You can find them nearly year round in Redondo (always short). Hooked up on some big ones during the winter at Catalina, boat limited out, seemed pretty bizarre to me.
swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Mr GreenJeans

In the OC I have only seen them around August/September, and then not every year. A few years ago they were pretty thick off the DP breakwater, and outside of NP Harbor, just south of the jetty. The ones I have caught were 16-18" and fun to catch on light bass gear. There is just no quit in a bonie.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote