Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
TJones

How do I update

Hds gen 3 from micro sd card? Downloaded file to my computer and copied to micro card . It is not doing updating automatically when I reboot, which tech says is normal . Unit has never had any updates yet . Tech says to find file under misc. tab which I don’t see. Any help please? Am I in wrong format on card ? It is not a 64 card
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Make sure the update is not in a folder.

And make sure it's unzipped.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
BigTunaL

You can also try browsing to the file from the head unit directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

You may have to find the actual file on your head unit. It should be under settings somewhere.
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
FISH11

Just recently did the Fish Reveal update on my Lawrence TI7. After putting the file into the Micro SD card with my map upgrade I also added the file for the MLPA's to show on my charts. I reinstalled it in the unit and powered it up. Had to go to setting and find were the files are. Find the new file select it and select import file. Than bingo everything was there
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Anyone seeing any problems with this upgrade. I know Tony said he had some issues with his Temp sensor after the upgrade but I have seen 2 or 3 weird things happen to my HDS 7 Gen 3 after the upgrade. It has been absolutely solid since I got it and now it seems a little buggy. Got on the water this morning and powered it up and I had no way points, routes or trails. Re-boot and they were back. Later with my chart up I wanted to zoom out and when I hit the + it started zooming out and I couldn't stop it. I switched to Sonar and back to chart and tried the zoom in and it did the same thing. Re-boot and everything was back to normal. An odd coincidence right after the upgrade.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

If it’s not in a folder you’ll have to search or browse for it. If you place the file onto the card, and not place it into a folder it should update automatically. At least that’s the way it works on HDS units.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

So far I haven’t had any trouble other than the temp getting screwed up on my unit rossman. So far has functioned as expected.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
TJones

Does it matter what operating system I download from?

I have both Mac and pc ? Is this gonna be easier on pc? Thanks for everyone’s help. Also what format should the micro card be formatted with? Fat 32? I got a new carbon and this went so much easier. I was able to connect the head unit with my WiFi at home and download directly to a card installed on head unit . Reboot and done . Simple . This hds gen 3 I have had for years with no issues. Version 1 still . Lol
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I have both Mac and pc ? Is this gonna be easier on pc? Thanks for everyone’s help. Also what format should the micro card be formatted with? Fat 32? I got a new carbon and this went so much easier. I was able to connect the head unit with my WiFi at home and download directly to a card installed on head unit . Reboot and done . Simple . This hds gen 3 I have had for years with no issues. Version 1 still . Lol

I would say PC would be a little more user friendly for the update. I’ve never had to reformat a memory card for FF. Typically the file you upload to the card is already in correct format for the unit.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I would say PC would be a little more user friendly for the update. I’ve never had to reformat a memory card for FF. Typically the file you upload to the card is already in correct format for the unit.
I used an older MacBookPro and did not need to format anything just download the file and copy it to the memory card and not install it inside any other folder on the card.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #12
TJones

Then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I used an older MacBookPro and did not need to format anything just download the file and copy it to the memory card and not install it inside any other folder on the card.
Do I look for file after I put in card slot ? Or should it find it automatically . I did all the above from Mac
Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 AM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Do I look for file after I put in card slot ? Or should it find it automatically . I did all the above from Mac

When you hit menu, this should appear on the left side of screen

You can see the files option third from the bottom. Your files should be there.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
TJones

Made it that far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
When you hit menu, this should appear on the left side of screen

You can see the files option third from the bottom. Your files should be there.
Didn’t see the file the tech was describing ?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Just a suggestion if you're having problems updating - consider just leaving it alone. I mean you don't need the update and others have issues with it anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
TJones

Copy

That
Old 04-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
FISH11

Talking

If all you are trying to do is download the Fish Reveal upgrade, it can be done using your internet connection using the Units built in Wi-Fi. That's easier to do if you know how to sign on to your Wireless Network. Downloading files to a card required going to the setting for the unit not the chart or sounder settings. It makes it harder to find the file so it can be used. Once you find it you don't need to look for again. It is so hard for us older guys to figure out, any more problems just find a tech saby smart ass 10 year old.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #18
TJones

I’m still running version 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
If all you are trying to do is download the Fish Reveal upgrade, it can be done using your internet connection using the Units built in Wi-Fi. That's easier to do if you know how to sign on to your Wireless Network. Downloading files to a card required going to the setting for the unit not the chart or sounder settings. It makes it harder to find the file so it can be used. Once you find it you don't need to look for again. It is so hard for us older guys to figure out, any more problems just find a tech saby smart ass 10 year old.
Lowrance tech says I won’t be able to update via WiFi until I do update. I purchased a carbon hds recently and that was simple to connect to WiFi . Go to WiFi tab and find my router and punch in my code . This older unit will be a secondary back up. I’ll actually be amazed if I use it from this point on. I can say it’s been my best head unit to date, which has seen seen moderate usage and performed flawlessly. I’ll keep playing with the update a little more. Thanks for help guys.