Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
sammysamsam

How to catch Spot Fin croaker Help

I figure i would post on here and get ideas and suggestions on how to catch these fish and what kinds of setup to use. I hear that they are usually caught around summer time and since im new to saltwater fishing, I was hoping i could ask some of the pros on here for some help. I mostly fish new port harbor, corona del mar area but dont mind going further.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Carolina rig, with a ghost shrimp, drop shot with a grub, smothered in unibutter.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Amish Ed

They move in schools and they move a lot. So they're hard to find, but once you find 'em it shouldn't be hard to stay on them. Definitely a C-rig with ghost shrimp or squid strips in a pinch.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Carolina rig, with a ghost shrimp, drop shot with a grub, smothered in unibutter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
They move in schools and they move a lot. So they're hard to find, but once you find 'em it shouldn't be hard to stay on them. Definitely a C-rig with ghost shrimp or squid strips in a pinch.
thanks for the responses guys. Would it be better to try to find them in the surf zone or in nph under the bridges?

do these fish get pretty big?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Deamon

Back in the day...my pb was a 8 pounder. A buddy nailed a 13# Spotfin. Ate it w/o checking and was later told it would've been a state record...don't know if true though as we were punks heavy into fishing. These were Mission Bay fish, late night incoming tides. Pencil Clams used to be the candy for them...I've also got plenty of schoolies in the surf. I've seen them up to 5#...a great fighter in the surf on ultralight tackle...Sand crabs work as well as anything i've tried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spotfin.jpg (16.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Eastern Pacific Spotted Drum.jpg (30.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Deamon; 06-30-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Back in the day...my pb was a 8 pounder. A buddy nailed a 13# Spotfin. Ate it w/o checking and was later told it would've been a state record...don't know if true though as we were punks heavy into fishing. These were Mission Bay fish, late night incoming tides. Pencil Clams used to be the candy for them...I've also got plenty of schoolies in the surf. I've seen them up to 5#...a great fighter in the surf on ultralight tackle...Sand crabs work as well as anything i've tried.

I like what im hearing!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Amish Ed

I'd probably go for the surf first. Lots more area to move around. Not even sure where I'd start looking for them in the harbor.