Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
HighOctane
Junior

Cool Hello Everyone! New here!

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the kayak community. I recently purchased a Malibu Kayak from a member here and was referred to the BWE boards.

I am looking to upgrade the fish finder that came with the kayak. Its an older model SeaView 628. I have tried it on lakes and looks like it works fine. I am very new to fish finders and really dont know much but I want to change it to a colored model Lowrance FF. I was looking at a couple of fish finders here at the Buy/Sell Kayak fishing gear section and found couple of Lowrance fish finders that I was interested in.

Do I need to change my current transducer? Can anybody guide me through what I need to replace my existing electronics.
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
LawDog

Welcome to the addiction!!!

I'm not familiar with your current ff, but if it's not a lowrance you would need a new transducer to fit the newer lowrance, however, luck has it that a transducer will come with your fish finder if you buy new.

Good luck slayin some fish. Check out the innovations thread and use the search function as a lot of questions have been asked and answered over the years.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
HighOctane
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
Welcome to the addiction!!!

I'm not familiar with your current ff, but if it's not a lowrance you would need a new transducer to fit the newer lowrance, however, luck has it that a transducer will come with your fish finder if you buy new.

Good luck slayin some fish. Check out the innovations thread and use the search function as a lot of questions have been asked and answered over the years.
Will do! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Welcome. Too late to turn back now. Which Lowrance models caught your eye? Where will u be fishing primarily?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
momo fish

Stay away from DSI only units as like most I know you will return it of fishing waters deeper than 80 feet. You can get a decent unit for 200 with color that will do the job like elite 4. That to me is the best starter ff.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Elite 5 hdi runs sales often. Can probably find for 400$ with ducer, and you won't have to upgrade for a long while. Does downscan and traditional sonar and the extra " although it may not seem like a lot, makes a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
EDC

I agree with the elite 4. Good unit. If you have a bit more money you might look into Raymarine
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
HighOctane
Junior

Yea i am actually looking at the elite 4x dsi.

i also saw on BPS for $199.99 not sure if it comes with the transducer. I will be fishing lakes and ocean by jetties or codding.

Looks like i am interested in the elite 4 but not sure the difference between dsi and hdi?

Also the ducer would it be a good idea to have it glued inside the hull or get a mount to have it on the bottom of the yak.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The "X" in 4X means it has no GPS which you might want. The DSI units are only good up to 80 feet or so? I think the consensus here is get the HDI if you can.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
HighOctane
Junior

Ok. Ill probably get a 4 HDI at BPS. Ill let you guys knoe tomorrow what I end up with.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #11
momo fish

Alan is correct. DSI will not work in saltwater more than 80 feet. HDI units will include DSI included so you can switch between the 2 depending on your depth.

Don't get tempted to get DSI based on sales or price. Lowrance is not making these anymore and will be discontinued for a reason.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

Elite 4x HDI is great. Got one for my xfactor and it has been a game changer.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

First off welcome to the board. You will find lots of good info here and meet lots of great people. Second, let me give a bit of advice on the fish finder. Whatever model you go with, make sure it's a chart plotter. In my opinion gps is one of the most invaluable tools we have. Being able to mark your hot spots and returning to them later, or marking a rock pile in a fast drift or planning your trip the night before with gps Coordinates you got from your buddy. In my opinion, gps is more important then color when choosing a unit.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
Rambo

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you strap down your tackle and gears in case you do flip, don't be another victim of donating tackle and gears to the ocean. I've learned the hard way. But read, learn, and meet new people.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
HighOctane
Junior

So I ended up getting the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI at BPS. As soon as I recieve it, I want to know where to mount the transducer on my Malibu xtreme.

Not sure if the ducer should be outside or would be fine glued in the hull. anybody can refer me to a link of some DIY's how to mount the ducer? and what type of glue/silicon I would need to use.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
So I ended up getting the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI at BPS. As soon as I recieve it, I want to know where to mount the transducer on my Malibu xtreme.

Not sure if the ducer should be outside or would be fine glued in the hull. anybody can refer me to a link of some DIY's how to mount the ducer? and what type of glue/silicon I would need to use.
Search the innovations thread I believe I saw a DIY in there. Doing a google search should result in many examples. I installed my son's inside the hull using duct putty. I have the same FF you purchased, but it is mounted outside similar to the first image in this thread EXTERNAL .
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
HighOctane
Junior

Ended up with the 5 HDI.. tonight ill be installing thr mount i made. uploadfromtaptalk1403895230221.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403895244150.jpg

Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Ended up with the 5 HDI.. tonight ill be installing thr mount i made. Attachment 12757Attachment 12758

Nice choice!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
JDW

Sorta new to Kayak fishing, glad I found this thread.

I'm in a similar boat to High Octane. I have a 2014 Hobie Outback with the Lowrance mount ready. I'd like color and GPS is a must. Do you think it would be worth while to get the one with the maps included (base map or gold)? I don't think so, but I'm curious.

I'll probably go with the same Lowrance Elite 5 HDI. Does anyone have one? Is this the best choice for this price range?

Thanks,

JDW
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
tacmik

If mounting thru hull, putty not goop. no bubbles to worry about and you can remove it and reposition the ducer if you want in about 2 minutes.