Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

filming on the water. help!

So I've been playing with my go pro on the water and I need to know how you guys get all that footage into your videos without killing your battery or wasting a bunch of space on your sd. Are you filming non stop so that the camera is running for that perfect shot, and just erasing uneventful footage every so often? And how much battery life are you getting from a battery? It seems to only last a couple hours at most constantly running without the wifi on. Are you bringing out multiple batteries abs swapping them out? I'll be honest, opening the housing on the water makes me nervous. Sorry for so many questions at once

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
So I've been playing with my go pro on the water and I need to know how you guys get all that footage into your videos without killing your battery or wasting a bunch of space on your sd. Are you filming non stop so that the camera is running for that perfect shot, and just erasing uneventful footage every so often? And how much battery life are you getting from a battery? It seems to only last a couple hours at most constantly running without the wifi on. Are you bringing out multiple batteries abs swapping them out? I'll be honest, opening the housing on the water makes me nervous. Sorry for so many questions at once

Get a 64 gig card.

No not filming non-stop

Battery life is about an hour, more with a 3+

Yes bringing multiple batteries

Opening the housing is no big deal, as long as you don't do anything stupid like doing it with wet dripping hands.

It takes away so much fishing time, setting up, positioning, maintaining and operating...Filming with the gopro is a huge pain in the ass. I hate doing it...but if you put in the work to do it, it can be worth it.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
PapaDave

32g SD will last about 6 hours. 64g all day and then some. I use SanDisk Ultra SD cards as they are waterproof for 7 hours submerged, supposedly, I've never tested that.

I carry spare batteries and have a add on battery pack as well. With the two batteries I have about 4 hours to record. The standard batteries issued are 1100 mA, but you can get 1400 mA ones online fairly cheap. Gives you a little more time before you have to change them out. Add the spares and I can go all day. I keep the spare batteries in a waterproof case under my seat (PA) and it is easy to change them out, just don't get water inside of the camera.

I generally don't want to miss the initial hookup so I just run it constantly. Sometimes the initial hookup is about all I get,

To counter watching endless videos files, I stop the camera every so often and restart it. The creates a new series of files on the SD card. The camera usually separates the files into one hour (+/-) segments using a number sequence, the first files in the series will have a name like GOPRO0071, the next in the sequence is GP010071, then GP020071 and so forth. When you stop the camera it will assign a new number to the next series of files, like GOPRO0072 in this case. I try to keep track of how many times I turn the camera off/on so that if there is something I want to use I can get real close to the right file without going through 6-10 hours of video.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good tips. I am using the 3+ black and yes, I'm starting to realize it is a huge p.i.t.a. haha. I have a newfound respect for you guys that make it look seamless, all while catching quality fish regularly.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
FISH11

I have 3+ also and opening the case is a real paint in the arse. The lock piece is kind of small for my fat fingers and its hard to get a hold of the leading edge and takes a lot more effort than older models. That is why I don't like having to open it. Sometimes you just have to, but I learned that if you shoot constant video you use a lot of battery but also end up with too much video to download and convert before editing (it take up a lot of computer hard drive till you delete it). I use a MAC and use I Movie because it's easier to work with than the GO PRO software. What I learned to do is have the camera mounted close enough to reach the control buttons so as to be able to turn it on and off when I want it. Also I can turn the Wi- Fi on and off so it save the battery. I carry 3 batteries but most often don't need to change it. I stopped video taping a lot of me just paddling around when nothing is happening. But is simple to reach and turn on If I hook up. Just have it mounted a arms reach away. The lens will capture a wide angle even when not set to the super wide setting.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
jorluivil

I carry 4 batteries at all times.

I will leave the camera on and recording most of the time. Just so that I don't end up taking up all of the space with nothing everyone hour or so I will delete all of the previous footage, that is unless I have video that is worth keeping.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
DanaPT

I have the hero 2 and it has 1 button mode. A useful setting where all you need to do is turn on the unit and it immediately records. Turn it off when your done. Ready to go for the next time.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I have the hero 2 and it has 1 button mode. A useful setting where all you need to do is turn on the unit and it immediately records. Turn it off when your done. Ready to go for the next time.
Yeah, that's a feature in the programing if you chose to use it.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah the one touch mode would be good only if it worked everytime....on the hero3 and the 3+, it has a tendency to turn on for a few seconds and turn off. I've lost some good footage because of that stupid one touch feature. If you film a trip with a gopro and are lucky enough to capture something good. At the end of day if all your footage is intact and there are no missing or corrupt files....it's a miracle! Another obstacle of filming on your kayak...not easy.