Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
buddha

Truth Reels vs Avet

I am looking for a light setup. I know a few people that are happy with their Truth Reels and they are light. Also looking at the Avet sxj. Anyone compare these two. A longshot I know. Also need it to be left handed if there are other light reels out there with similar specifications.

Thank you in advance.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
sculpins4bait

dont know much about truth reels other than seeing them on jims show but penn makes some leftys too
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
monstahfish

I have an older release(now truth) sg and avet sx mc and sxj and like them all. For around here, I usually use my sx mc, probably because I have mono on the sg. I have also submerged both of them in the surf and had to take them apart to clean. The sg was a bit tougher to service but has never needed bearings. I also put something in wrong and for a while the lever drag adjustment was off which I fixed but don't remember how. I have had to change the bearings in my avets which are a few years older. Max drag is double on the SG so you could use it for bigger offshore stuff where you might need 28# but I have a saltiga(42#) for jigging monsters and never fish heavy line with either of the smaller reels.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
ghotion
Junior

Check out the Daiwa Lexa 300 or the 400. I have the 300 and love it, 22 lbs of drag and carries plenty of 50 lb braid. It's also good for the salt. The 400 carries more line but is quite a bit heavier.
ghotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotion View Post
Check out the Daiwa Lexa 300 or the 400. I have the 300 and love it, 22 lbs of drag and carries plenty of 50 lb braid. It's also good for the salt. The 400 carries more line but is quite a bit heavier.
I own both the 300 and 400 Lexas and have had nothing but issues with them.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
double p

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I have an older release(now truth) sg and avet sx mc and sxj and like them all. For around here, I usually use my sx mc, probably because I have mono on the sg. I have also submerged both of them in the surf and had to take them apart to clean. The sg was a bit tougher to service but has never needed bearings. I also put something in wrong and for a while the lever drag adjustment was off which I fixed but don't remember how. I have had to change the bearings in my avets which are a few years older. Max drag is double on the SG so you could use it for bigger offshore stuff where you might need 28# but I have a saltiga(42#) for jigging monsters and never fish heavy line with either of the smaller reels.

monstah,

thats good info. i've been looking at release/truth and i was hoping someone here would compare them to avet. i love my avet but i'm always looking other good stuff made in the usa.
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
buddha

Looking at the accurate fury also if anyone has experience with that reel.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
octico

I fish Daiwa Saltist levelwind for trolling and rockfishing. I use the Saltist BG for throwing iron. They are very kayak friendly reels.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I fish Daiwa Saltist levelwind for trolling and rockfishing. I use the Saltist BG for throwing iron. They are very kayak friendly reels.
I would probably use them if they offered them in left handed.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I would probably use them if they offered them in left handed.
Missed that on your original post.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
sculpins4bait

You could get a shimano ocea jigger in lefty from Japan. Basically a JDM Trinidad. Probably has much better water resistance than anything else mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:01 AM   #12
tamddo714

shimano makes the new torium 16's in a left hand
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
jmswaste
Junior

Avet SX G2

For jigging tuna to sailfishing the Avet HX has what you need, two speeds and belt clips make this light reel a choice for inshore trolling as well.

Last edited by jmswaste; 09-06-2017 at 05:54 AM.
jmswaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

OEX Mission Bay has a Seigler SG in a lefty now.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #15
T-Rex

I'd definitely go with the Seigler SG.

I've got an older Release SG and 3 Avet SX. All are tough little reels, but as already pointed out, the SG has twice the drag pressure of the SX/SXJ. Makes a huge difference with big fish. My Avets also demand waaay too much cleaning, maintenance and bearing replacement. Maybe Avet has addressed the water intrusion issues with their newer reels, but in nearly 4 years, my Release SG hasn't needed anything and has had no issues whatsoever. I'm planning on replacing my Avets with another Seigler SG.

I've also got an Accurate Boss Fury 500 2-speed, but don't use it on the kayak -- only offshore. So far I like it a lot, but I haven't caught anything large enough to really put it to the test. It's been overkill for the small BFT, YT and dorado I've caught on it so far. Haven't used the smaller 400/400N, but I think I'd still go with the Seigler SG for the kayak.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
ProfessorLongArms

Just bought an Avet and I'm a fan so far... will see how it holds up

I just got an SX with 2 speed and skipped the MC/Raptor/G2
I also fish a Shimano Trinidad, and am not the *best* with a Bait Caster.

One thing I immediately loved about the SX was how well the lever plays to avoid backlash... Everything I read in my research came back pretty positive, and I like that they're local in SoCal.

That said, I can imagine they do require more maintenance as, as on the site they suggest sending the reel in to them for 30 bucks annually (assuming you go out 20 times in a season) for cleaning/maintenance.

As far as the drag goes, we'll see. It does feel a tad light, and i'm planning to take it on a party boat next week for some YT, but bringing a couple of heavier old Penn reels just in case it's not enough.

Also- in case it helps, I spent a good bit of time talking to the owner of Johnny's in Pasadena yesterday about the reel.... Assuming I was looking for something I could take in my kayak with a 10-15lb leader, but also load with 300 yds of braided 40# and 30 of top shot to take out for yellowtail, he was pretty adamantly against me spending extra money on the G2 or the Raptor as a first reel. Of course... that could just be so I end up needing an upgrade sooner than later XD

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 09-12-2017 at 04:15 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote