Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #61
buddha

GunRunner is not only interested in the panga he is ecstatic about it and also the trip!
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #62
Gr8fuldude

Mr. PukaShell,

I'm thinking about the following plan: Fish in the panga with you on the 20th and have the panga drag my kayak out to the island as we go out. I leave my kayak and camping gear on the island while we fish. When we are done fishing I get dropped off (and anyone else that wants to camp out at the island with me) and camp out at the island the night of the 20th. I kayak fish all day on the 21st around the island, camp out again on the night of the 21st. In the early morning of the 22nd, the panga can pick me up, we fish in the panga, and then the panguero can pick up and drag my kayak back to the mainland when we are done fishing around the islands on the 22nd.

If we did this plan, I wouldn't mind paying a larger portion of the panga expenses, since some (but hopefully not much) time would be taken dragging the kayak out and back.

Of course, any and all are welcome to join me for the island camping/kayak fishing adventure. I'm open to any modifications to this plan, but I wanted to put this out there for starters. Thinking about doing this panga/kayak camping adventure kept me awake last night!!
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #63
MrPukaShell

Sounds good to me if that works with the Capt. We will work out any money issues. As far as dragging a Kayak that is no problem for me.

Looking forward to this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Mr. PukaShell,

I'm thinking about the following plan: Fish in the panga with you on the 20th and have the panga drag my kayak out to the island as we go out. I leave my kayak and camping gear on the island while we fish. When we are done fishing I get dropped off (and anyone else that wants to camp out at the island with me) and camp out at the island the night of the 20th. I kayak fish all day on the 21st around the island, camp out again on the night of the 21st. In the early morning of the 22nd, the panga can pick me up, we fish in the panga, and then the panguero can pick up and drag my kayak back to the mainland when we are done fishing around the islands on the 22nd.

If we did this plan, I wouldn't mind paying a larger portion of the panga expenses, since some (but hopefully not much) time would be taken dragging the kayak out and back.

Of course, any and all are welcome to join me for the island camping/kayak fishing adventure. I'm open to any modifications to this plan, but I wanted to put this out there for starters. Thinking about doing this panga/kayak camping adventure kept me awake last night!!
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #64
monstahfish

How far is it to the island? I may sail/troll out there with an adventure island and camp out with you guys. I think the plan would be to troll out to the island, drop the amas/sail and fish it kayak style. I haven't spent any time using it without the amas yet so I'll have to try it at LJ in the next week or two.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #65
MrPukaShell

I spoke to Travis and we be carpooling. There are a few things that we will need to work out due to the distance we live apart from each other.

Bob,

I think I read that you have a stove there. Is that true or should I bring the one I have?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Great, hope they post here so I know what is happening. This is going to be the BEST trip of the year.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #66
monstahfish

Also wondering about the grill/stove situation.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #67
buddha

Always a good idea to have at least one backup camp stove. If you have room please bring it. I know that Makobob has at least one camp stove.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #68
Gr8fuldude

I'll be bringing a JetBoil with plenty of fuel. Pretty much only good for boiling water but people are welcome to use it. Can be used for instant coffee, oatmeal, soup, or anything else that can be cooked in hot water.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #69
Gr8fuldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
How far is it to the island? I may sail/troll out there with an adventure island and camp out with you guys. I think the plan would be to troll out to the island, drop the amas/sail and fish it kayak style. I haven't spent any time using it without the amas yet so I'll have to try it at LJ in the next week or two.
It is just under five miles. I know at least one guy took his AI out there on a previous trip, and I believe he got there way before the rest of the pack pedaled over. Hey, it's not called an Adventure ISLAND for nothin' .
Old 09-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #70
WARRIORMIKE

All this Baja Talk

SO whats the general cost of this trip. Seems to me the food is cheap. I guess gas and ? I may want to go next trip. Do I need a passport or just the FMM ?
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #71
MrPukaShell

I will bring my 3 burner camp stove, wok & griddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Always a good idea to have at least one backup camp stove. If you have room please bring it. I know that Makobob has at least one camp stove.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #72
monstahfish

One more question, how big were the roosters last week? I have an 8 and a 10 weight but I would much rather use the 8 if possible.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #73
Mahigeer

Any suggestions as what fly to use for roosters?

I have a selection of deceivers, but I have seen on YouTube about a homemade fly by a guide that worked great.
Mahigeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #74
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
One more question, how big were the roosters last week? I have an 8 and a 10 weight but I would much rather use the 8 if possible.

You may want to read this:
http://www.minturnanglers.com/shop-t...g-baja-mexico/
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #75
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
SO whats the general cost of this trip. Seems to me the food is cheap. I guess gas and ? I may want to go next trip. Do I need a passport or just the FMM ?
RIDE SHARE, Fuel $40-$100 each depending on truck, 2-3 people. Food, drinks and ice for a week, total should be around $200. PLUS tackle and fishing license and FMM. If you try hard to keep costs down you should get a full week vacation for under $300. You will need both FMM and US Passport and Mex fishing license..

Camp stove? I have 1 and a charcoal BBQ, bring bottle gas, small and charcoal for grill and some fire wood if you want campfire.

Roosters caught in last year here. 5" hand size, 12", 10-25 pound and two in the 48-50 pound class. Cabrilla to 26 pounds, snapper to 10 lbs, Yt to 40 lbs, WSB to 50 lbs. SWEET DREAMS.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #76
MrPukaShell

Bob,

Will we be stopping for the FMM card along the way or do we need to get one prior to the trip? From what I have been reading you have to get it stamped by the office when entering the country. Is this correct?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #77
Dannowar

Fmm cards are free at the border at the immigration office if you will be there less than 7 days. East Calexico office is open 24 hours.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #78
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Bob,

Will we be stopping for the FMM card along the way or do we need to get one prior to the trip? From what I have been reading you have to get it stamped by the office when entering the country. Is this correct?
Definitely prior to the trip.

I don't remember where the post is but Bob asked every one to take care of these things before hand to minimize travel time.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #79
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
YES you can get it just after you cross the border on the left side of the street. Very limited parking 2-10 minutes to fill out and pay or get free one. With one or two trucks not a problem, with 5-6 trucks no parking. So if you stop you need to know how to find my place. We travel at a safe speed but you will have to catch up with the rest of us. I posted driving instructions on how to get to our place on the other sticky a few days ago.
YES they must be stamped.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #80
Mahigeer

I am so confused......

The last two times that I traveled to Baja, we stopped at the border.

They checked my passport and I filled a card and paid $25.00 (I think). We stayed one week in Baja. I understood that it was a visa and good for 180 days.

The first time I went, it was with someone who had been there (26) times before our trip. He did not say that on return, we have to send the visa to the Mexican immigration office.

The second time was to fly to Cedros Island. Same again, the driver took us to an office at the border and I/we paid $25.00 and got the same visa. This time it was eight days. On the way back an attorney who was with us collected our visas and said that we have to mail them in and he will do it for us.
So, I take it that visa is same as FMM? How it is that it is free in one place and not at another.
I do have a valid passport, and I don't want to cause any delays.
Please advise as what to do right now or should I wait until we get to the border.

Thanks.

P.S. I just read the information here:
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fmm-tourist-permits/
It says for 7 days or less no charge. We will be there eight days. For us it is $28.00 plus $6.25 for postage.
I don’t feel comfortable to send my CC and passport information on line. Too many eyes. Not too familiar with scan function either.
Also, there is small chance that the FMM not arrive on time.
Is it a big delay if we stop at the border? It was not when I did it before. Especially if we are there so early in the morning.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-24-2015 at 05:10 PM.