Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
King Saba

Hobie Revo 16 review?

So I currently own a revo 13. It's an older model, but it's been really good to me. It's caught fish, taken me to productive spots, and has been a pleasure to fish in. BUT! I am now wanting more speed and storage. Soooo... my sights have been turned to a revo 16.

Steevo did this great review, but I want to know how other revo 16 owners like their speed demon. How's the stability? Tippy? I imagine that 1 less inch from the 13 would make little difference. Fast? For cruising speed I get 2.5-3kts and 3.9kts at best even with my turbo fins. Too slow for me as my trips are usually under a time constraint. And for those who have the 180 drive, do you get solid speed too? I've heard from some youtube reviews that the 180s are a tad slower than the GTT drives. If that is the case I'm hoping that I can get the GTT instead.

Steevo's review.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ght=hobie+revo

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
cris

I can't speak to the Revo 16 but in my Oasis (15' tandem) I cruise at 3-3.5kt on flattish seas with the 180 standard fins on my own and can hit 5kt pedaling hard. Length makes a big difference.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Looking up hull speed on Google for a basic calculation - square root of the boats waterline times 1.34 equals hull speed. So, a 12' boat has a hull speed of 4.64 knots (5.34 mph), and a 16' boat has a hull speed of 5.36 knots (6.17 mph). That's less than 3/4 of a knot difference.

That makes sense since I remember expecting to haul ass in my 16' boat but really only gained about 1/2 mph in easy cruising speed over my 12' boat. Sure I could get the 16' going faster than the 12', but the amount of work required made it unsustainable for long distance for me anyway. I seem to cruise at around 3 mph no matter what boat I'm in.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I can't speak to the Revo 16 but in my Oasis (15' tandem) I cruise at 3-3.5kt on flattish seas with the 180 standard fins on my own and can hit 5kt pedaling hard. Length makes a big difference.
That's what I've seen too. Got smoked by this guy in his adventure one time at Dana. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Looking up hull speed on Google for a basic calculation - square root of the boats waterline times 1.34 equals hull speed. So, a 12' boat has a hull speed of 4.64 knots (5.34 mph), and a 16' boat has a hull speed of 5.36 knots (6.17 mph). That's less than 3/4 of a knot difference.

That makes sense since I remember expecting to haul ass in my 16' boat but really only gained about 1/2 mph in easy cruising speed over my 12' boat. Sure I could get the 16' going faster than the 12', but the amount of work required made it unsustainable for long distance for me anyway. I seem to cruise at around 3 mph no matter what boat I'm in.
Good to know. I've been in wider kayaks before my Revo and, the width certainly plays a big role in speed IMO. 3/4kts may not seem like much but factor that in a 6 hour trip, and it can mean the difference between making back to the launch a hour earlier than planned. But yeah, I've read online too that top speed for a 12' yak vs. a 16' doesn't equate to too much gain even with intense effort. Still, a 2-3kt top speed gain is enough to convince me since my trips are usually on a time constraint.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
summers in kuwait

If you haven't seen Steveooo's posts on his adventures and revo16, check em out. He did a great job with pics and write up!

I will probably write something up here in a few months, once I've spent more time in the boat, but so far I'm really really happy with the revo 16.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
Saba Slayer

AI

The AI hull is pretty similar to the Revo 16 and i use it quite often without the outriggers (akas and amas) or sail. It's a fast hull and that new seat is pretty comfortable. With the longer hull you will find yourself going faster and tracking straighter so it seems much more efficient than a smaller boat....but...I'd gladly give up the extra speed for the comfort and room of the Pro Angler if my use is primarily for fishing. Seriously...if you gain 1mph in speed is it really that important in your days fishing?

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Orca Winfrey

Why would you need a faster yak if the people you fish with are in slow paddle yaks?
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote