Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Fomen

Technical question regarding interfering signals....

So I have a technical question for you guys. Let me know if any of you have ever encountered this scenario.

My buddy and I both have Lowrance Chirp sonars on our kayaks. I have an older Elite4x Chirp and he has a brand new Hook4. If we are paddling within several feet of each other, and we are both running the chirp (or even just the sonar) functions on the FF's, will the signals interfere with each other? Will the tracking display for the bottom contours get distorted because the systems are confusing each others signals? If so, how close can you be to similar units without this happening? I realize it's not a huge deal, and we can probably just stay 20' apart or so. I'm just curious if anyone on here has ever experienced anything like this. Thanks guys....
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Amish Ed

MY buddy and I both have Lowrance Elites. If we are close I get vertical lines running at a slight diagonal. I can still see the bottom.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Fomen

Interesting

Thanks Ed. I thought for sure if we were too close it would have to create some sort of interference. Especially if they are like units, and they are operating on on identical frequencies.
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

yes

Yes you will get intereference between the two units if you are too close.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
goldenglory18

+1

It's basically the equivalent of audio feedback....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

you can get interference from a lot more than 20' away... there are a few things you can do.

1. have one person run 83kHz, and the other person run "mid chirp". This will still produce some feedback, but it will lessen it.

2. turn up the "noise rejection" filter on your units.

3. If you want to work an area close together, have one person run 83 and the other run 200 kHz.

All said, you can still read the returns through the feedback. After you stare through the feedback for several hours, you hardly notice it.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Geofish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
you can get interference from a lot more than 20' away... there are a few things you can do.

1. have one person run 83kHz, and the other person run "mid chirp". This will still produce some feedback, but it will lessen it.

2. turn up the "noise rejection" filter on your units.

3. If you want to work an area close together, have one person run 83 and the other run 200 kHz.

All said, you can still read the returns through the feedback. After you stare through the feedback for several hours, you hardly notice it.

I'm the buddy in question. I like the idea of running different frequencies and working an area. Thanks.
Geofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofish View Post
I'm the buddy in question. I like the idea of running different frequencies and working an area. Thanks.
If you are in shallow enough water... like i'd say 80' or less... one person could also use downscan frequency 455 kHz as well. In some scenarios I like 455 more than 200. It has a wider beam, and does really well over kelp.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
TJones

cross talk

lots of articles on internet regarding this situation.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote