Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #41
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Just wondering, is it legal to fish the reefs there? Walrus posted some regs last week that say something about reefs prohibited. http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=20950
These are not coral reefs, only rocky rubble and beach rock, no problem. Alan most areas around Gonzaga are like this, they are what everyone fishes down here.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Received e mail from a brand new BWE member, Eod, aka Steve. Welcome to BWE Steve. Steve is from Idaho and will be traveling to San Diego to join us on our March trip to Las Encantadas. Trip departs San Diego on the 20th of March at 5:30 am.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #43
svendawg

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Received e mail from a brand new BWE member, Eod, aka Steve. Welcome to BWE Steve. Steve is from Idaho and will be traveling to San Diego to join us on our March trip to Las Encantadas. Trip departs San Diego on the 20th of March at 5:30 am.

Welcome aboard Eod (Steve) looking forward to meeting and fishing with you on this trip
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #44
Chuck D

X2! counting the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Welcome aboard Eod (Steve) looking forward to meeting and fishing with you on this trip
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #45
makobob
Baitless on Baja

This trip is just over two weeks away. As of 3-3-14 the anglers for this trip are:

Svendawg
Chuck D
Eod
Makobob
???Bigbarrels???

Steve aka Eod will be driving in from Idaho to join us, he is a BRAND NEW BWE member, he has not even made his 1st post yet. So Steve tell us about your kayak and your salt water experience. If you are fishing the sportboats in San Diego your tackle should be fine for Baja. See you soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #46
eod
Junior

I'll be using my Hobie Pro Angler to fish from. This will be the first time saltwater fishing from a kayak. I typically use it to for trout fishing in creeks near my house. I grew up in Poway in the 70's so I'm familiar with saltwater fishing. I also do an annual Tony Reyes trip every June so I believe that I have the basic tackle however I am always open, and would like, any suggestions or pertinent information you think I might need.
What is typically used, bait, spinners, jigs, plastics? how deep? any info would help
Thanks
eod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #47
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by eod View Post
I'll be using my Hobie Pro Angler to fish from. This will be the first time saltwater fishing from a kayak. I typically use it to for trout fishing in creeks near my house. I grew up in Poway in the 70's so I'm familiar with saltwater fishing. I also do an annual Tony Reyes trip every June so I believe that I have the basic tackle however I am always open, and would like, any suggestions or pertinent information you think I might need.
What is typically used, bait, spinners, jigs, plastics? how deep? any info would help
Thanks
WOW your first post on BWE, Krokodiles, Spoons, 4-5" rapalas or rebels or other top water plug, 2-4 0z megabaits. Plastics work but the trigger fish can ruin most on the first cast. I will try Z-man plastics on this trip to see if they last longer. Fishing can be shallow from the beach to over 100' deep. Steve I will see you next week.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 03-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #48
svendawg

Quote by Rossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I have never had any real problems finding bait on the cortez side but using live bait including squid is a real pain because of the ubiquitous trigger fish. You cannot find any deapth where they are not, and they tend to take crescent shaped bites out of any live bait. After a few minutes the baits comes back looking like a piece of swiss cheese. The same thing happens with plastics. Hardbaits like irons megabaits shallow and deep running crank baits and top water baits are the ticket. Last two trips to Gonzaga I didn't even bother with my bait tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Eod,

Read the quote above. It was posted by Rossman on page one of this post. You may have missed. It has the information you asked about and explains the bait situation pretty well. Rossman fishes this area often so he knows his s--t.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #49
walrus

What to expect the first time:

Friday – March 14, 2014 We crossed the border without incident, were briefly checked at military checkpoints by friendly soldiers and made it to Las Encantadas by 1:00pm. It took seven hours, but, we might have gotten there a little earlier but Sven was pulling a trailer containing a Polaris 4X4 and a dump trailer designed for the Polaris by Sven. We were concerned about how the trailer would handle the vados, so we slowed down a bit. The area that concerned us was the “dips” or vados on the older highway between San Felipe and Puertecitos. It is not a problem if you just slow down a bit, you don’t want to launch a fully loaded vehicle, the distance of the dips will have you landing hard against the far side of the dip. The speed limit posted there is a little too high here for depth and length of the dips, just back off on approach and it will be fine. Not all dips are signed either so you must use your eyes to determine when to slow.

If you cross into Mexico at Caliexco, you’re on Mex 5, so just follow the signs thru Mexicali and San Felipe. A white sign on the left side of the highway “Las Encantadas” is about 100 yards before you turn left toward the sea. The dirt track to camp has a green sign with white letters that say “Campo Turistico La Poma”.

It’s an easy drive with little traffic after San Felipe. There was only a handful of vehicles on the highway Friday. On the dirt track g keep going toward the sea, when you arrive at the beach turn left.

CAUTION, stay on the heavily worn tracks of vehicles, the sand on this beach is sugar fine and you’ll dig your tires in fast. If you stay on the track a two wheel drive vehicle is O.K. And a word to 4X4 owners, if you don’t have high floatation tires that are aired down, stay on the tracks too.

Check the pictures to see what it looks like and you’ll find camp quickly after getting on the beach track, it’s before the two story place (about the third house you past after turning on the beach).

Weather was 72-74 degrees daytime, 64-67 degrees nights. Friday and the first half of Saturday there was little breeze the sea was glassy flat without even a swell as far out as the island. Saturday and Sunday morning there was a breeze no harder than what is found on San Diego Bay on a typical day. The breeze made the sea choppy and created ankle slapper waves along the shore line. The breezy conditions are not enough to keep you off the water but, you work harder.

The difference between high tide and low tide was about 15 feet in depth. Be sure to keep you kayak beached above the high tide line.

Have Fun I’m Sure You’ll love it.

(I'll post this also on the "Baja of Bust" group area to make it easier to find in the future).

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #50
makobob
Baitless on Baja

In San Felipe you will take a right from the main drag toward the airport, a few miles down you will take a left toward Puertecitos and the turn off to our beach is at km 134, less than two hours south of San Felipe and 10 miles north of Gonzaga, roads are good all the way past Gonzaga. Have a good trip!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #51
makobob
Baitless on Baja

BAJA EXPRESS leaves the station in two days, Leaving from JOHNNY'S SHELL station at 515 N. Magnolia ave in El Cajon 92020 at 6:00 am, Thursday the 20th of March. Arriving at Las Encantadas a little afternoon, bring your lunch with you as we will be stopping for fuel in San Filipe, BTW there is NO shade between the border and our place. See you soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #52
Chuck D

Oh YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!! Fishing paradise here we come?
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #53
619-SWIM-DOG

Best of Luck down there this week...Tight Lines
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote