Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
silentsmell

Unhappy noob alert, first report

My first report! I've been inshore fishing for about 5 years now, majority of the time on a buddy's boat to the Coronado Islands and Point Loma. Long story short, I'm hooked on kayak fishing!

Today was my 5th time out on the yak in La Jolla. Launched at 8:00am, a little late, but the conditions were good and I made bait pretty easily. I saw about 10 of you guys out there looking cozy and I paddled over. I had no luck on the iron, so I start paddling back to the kelp with my bait. Half an hour later, ZZZZZZZZZ! I set the hook and start reeling, fish on!

5 minutes in, the fish hasn't made a single run, but I'm having no luck getting him any closer to the yak.
10 minutes in, my rod tip starts to shake, 1-2-3. Cool, I let him run a little. My brother paddles up and starts watching me.
15 mins in, I have him right under my yak in about 100 ft of water. He pops up on my fish finder 90 ft. below. Then I notice it...a double uni knot, my line has been compromised! I had let a buddy borrow my rod last weekend, he must have cut the line; I say a little prayer hoping he tied it correctly.
20 mins in, the fish starts to run again, this time full speed! 15-20 head shakes. At this point he has taken about half the spool. I'm fishing with a Daiwa LD30 with 25lb P-Line.
25 mins in, I start cranking again, but this beast is angry, he isn't letting me reel in any more line. I decide to tighten the drag and buckle down. He makes another big run. My line starts making that little plucking sound as its rubbing against the guides, I panic and loosen the drag. Bam! Bird nest! I have no idea what I'm doing at this point, I tighten the drag and continue to reel, he runs again and I'm back to the bird nest. Game over

I have never gone to battle with anything with this much power, the biggest fish I've caught is a 33 inch halibut. Longest fight I've had was with a bat ray in Mission Bay. Help me out guys, what kinda fish do you think it was?
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
slobslayer

What bait brown,blue or greenback mackerel, smelt? Were you fishing with any weight or on the surface? I had a similar fight a few weeks ago on a dropper looped greenback. I'm pretty sure mine was a thresher.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
jorluivil

I'm guessing bsb. Most of the time they don't even know they're hooked.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Zfish03

Was that you in the OD green Hobie PA? I thought you were stuck on one of the lobster bouys. Could have been a yellow or black sea bass, I heard that someone caught and released one earlier this morning. Glad you got to pull on a game fish! beats my sand bass and sheepshead today
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
silentsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
What bait brown,blue or greenback mackerel, smelt? Were you fishing with any weight or on the surface? I had a similar fight a few weeks ago on a dropper looped greenback. I'm pretty sure mine was a thresher.
Sorry! It was a smaller greenback, with a 2 oz carolina rig. I dropped it down to the bottom and was just drifting while eating some jerky. I was by the 2nd set of lobster buoys and on a orange tarpon 120.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
JarrodMc

probably BSB. lost it but i bet it was a fun fight. it was fun to read!
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Deamon

Welcome to the addiction. Crack on the water...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

sometimes those fights that end up slack, after that long of a fight, that story will be fresh in your mind for years to come...you will get him next time...great post...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
h2ofishfo

Hmmmm by the lobster bouy???? Let me guess coincidently he was making runs with the swell????
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
20 mins in, the fish starts to run again, this time full speed! 15-20 head shakes. At this point he has taken about half the spool. I'm fishing with a Daiwa LD30 with 25lb P-Line.
Quote:
Hmmmm by the lobster bouy???? Let me guess coincidently he was making runs with the swell????

I have seen guys out there fighting the bottom, this sounds more like a BSB.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
silentsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
No, I hope I'm not that terrible
Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

What kind of fish do I think you had???
A big one that kicked your butt!!!
That's what it's all about. Welcome to the addiction. Now get back out there and chase that dragon.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

It was a world record yt. Now go back there and catch it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
taggermike

Talk to your buddy. Returning a reel with a splice in the line is not so cool. The anxiety of hearing/feeling a knot or fray clickinging/pinging through the guids is nasty. I gotta throw a nod to a BSB also. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
silentsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Talk to your buddy. Returning a reel with a splice in the line is not so cool. The anxiety of hearing/feeling a knot or fray clickinging/pinging through the guids is nasty. I gotta throw a nod to a BSB also. Mike
I saw that knot when I was feeding my bait fish line. I definitely have the bulk of the blame there; instead of reeling it all back and throwing away 30 yards of line, I decided to fish it anyway. Lesson learned, be prepared!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsmell View Post
...Help me out guys, what kinda fish do you think it was?
This kind...
Name:  P7071330.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  41.7 KB

Baddest fight in La Jolla. He looked like a seal on the fishfinder. Ran straight down and gave the meanest, nastiest headshakes I've ever felt. Then, after reviving him, he slapped me silly on his way back down!!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
TJones

well written

. welcome to the addiction. we will never know ? i put my money on black . heck could have been one of those home guards ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote