Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
TJones

did my first on the water recovery today

i was searching lj today . surf was mild going out , pick up as minutes ticked away. when i was on open water , i leaned over side straddle to buckle leash for rod and got a bath . i went overboard . i reacted quickly and tried to get back in. kayak wanted to roll over, but with one good kick i was half way in. nothing lost , but pride. thanks to all who were looking out. first open water rescue. Hooah .no better time than on the water . this was mild . i have seen instances were kayaker could not do the self rescue alone. i know there are a lot of experienced kayakers, boaters , swimmers , and even surfers on this site. but when things go madly wrong we can be at the mercy of mother nature. needless to say , if you can do these drills in calm water like on a lake or pool, it can build your confidence on water, and possibly prevent you from panicking on open water , or similar situation. tight lines . learning experience for me . where your head goes , your body will follow. had to head in early .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
bigbarrels

Congrats on not panicking on getting yourself back on board and thanks for sharing your experience OTW. Keeps everyone thinking. What are you paddling or peddling?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
TJones

hi bigbarrels

got a revolution. not as wide as outback . not used to a real kayak . . it feels tippy compared to the outback log. sacrifices made. i was reaching way out with my head , and guess what. my body followed when swell passed. just trying to get used to this kayak before things really heat up . please keep my posted on hot bites . pm if necessary . thanks .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Mr Fishback

Good to hear to got back into your yak ok. Makes me want to practice a few times in the shallows when the water warms up.

- Joseph, San Diego
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
echo1er

Awesome your safe and thanks for sharing. It shows that it can happen to anyone.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
yaky yak

Glad it work out as it did. I practiced in a lake tale I had it down perfect. Then when the dreaded day happened it was 10 times harder with fishing poles in the holders and a bunch of stuff in my create. I had my create bungeed in and it acted like an anchor.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote