Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
maquinapescado

Heartbreak in PV

Launched in the grey at Cabrillo with a friend. Making bait took a few but happened eventually, all Spanish. Brought some frozen squid, it was local from 22nd St. but it was $h*t for quality. Water was 59 and pretty clear considering the wind.

Fishing was slow. Caught a 13" checker. Just about to call it and I decided to catch some perch and garbage to age for the hoop nets. I tied off to the outside kelp line and tossed a Spanish on a dropper while I dickered around with junk fish. Ten minutes later, and then three minutes later and more Loop snapped on my DL (#40) and the line on the DL was twisted something serious. Line was pretty chafed below the loop, that didn't help.

Right around 11am it got interesting. Metered the right kind a couple times and got the hook up. Would have been my first on my new ride. F**k it all!!! until next time. Sorry for the novel.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

I'm always bewildered when someone posts a fish report about losing a fish and assuming it's a or
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
yakety-yak
D-T-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I'm always bewildered when someone posts a fish report about losing a fish and assuming it's a or
Submarine, definitely.
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #4
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny...come on man. That big bend break off is what keeps us running back for more. But I know one thing...my terminal tackle is always on the heavy side and fresh. Fresh line, clean knots, smooth drags. Fish for the big biters and don't cut any corners boys. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 12-28-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny...come on man. That big bend break off is what keeps us running back for more. But I know one thing...my terminal tackle is always on the heavy side and fresh. Fresh line, clean knots, smooth drags. Fish for the big biters and don't cut any corners boys. Jim

Exactly, and if the knot doesnt look perfect, tie it again. If not using a 3 way swivel, skip the dropper loop knot and tie a spider hitch.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Jimbo,

C'mon Jim I'm on your side, let us haters stick together. I thought that if anyone would be praising my hating it would be you. But hating on a hater is taking it to another level.

I get it. I've been broken off before and gone back to the same waypoint the day after for redemption. I just think it's a stretch to say if I had landed it, it would have certainly been a
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Where is the launch point for Cabrillo?

Are you talking about the parking lot by the paths that lead to the tide pools near the Pt. Loma lighthouse?

Or are you talking about Long Beach, Los Angeles harbor or somewhere else?

[viewing google earth again for another access point to the Pt. Loma kelp beds]
Old 12-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
maquinapescado

Johnny, being new to this forum I will bight my tongue and refrain from ruffling your feathers out of respect to my seniors. Being an egotistical fisherman on a deck, I am humbled being new to the kayak seen. I will just say that my fishing resume IMO deems me qualified to determine what type of fish I am on three minutes into a fight; be it WSB YT, BSB, Batman, Butt, dog or shark. I would break all of those down in relation to yesterdays scenario, but I am not gonna write a thesis on it. I metered some fish in the same spot last week that wouldn't go. I normally don't just throw out where I was fishing on BD or any other forum but since two full days of fishing that area nearly by myself, I was hoping some guys on here might see some light and go searching down that tunnel and hang one.

I even feel like less of a man for writing as much as I have so far......
Old 12-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Where is the launch point for Cabrillo?

Are you talking about the parking lot by the paths that lead to the tide pools near the Pt. Loma lighthouse?

Or are you talking about Long Beach, Los Angeles harbor or somewhere else?

[viewing google earth again for another access point to the Pt. Loma kelp beds]
San Pedro.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
maquinapescado

Quote:
I'm normally on it but after buying my new rig, I totally left behind the most important thing, making sure my tackle is tip top and ready. I left that dropper loop set up on that rod from last week (I'm an idiot). Now that my kayak is pretty much close to dialed and I have taken it out a couple times, I can start to hone in on specifics. As I mentioned before, I am pretty sharp on a skiff, sportfisher or cattle boat, but I am pretty humbled by kayaking. If I was just trying to get bottom grabbers, checker boards and bay fishing my ego wouldn't be threatened......
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

you paddled from the cabrillo launch all the way to PV??! that's like.. a 7 mile paddle (about a 10 mile boat ride). that is a FAR PADDLE. why don't you just launch from PV?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
you paddled from the cabrillo launch all the way to PV??! that's like.. a 7 mile paddle (about a 10 mile boat ride). that is a FAR PADDLE. why don't you just launch from PV?
I'm getting sick of the d**k swinging contest. Palos Verdes Peninsula is from Point Fermin to PV proper. If you're gonna attack me, know WTF you're talking about.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Deamon

Hey Brian-man...all good. I was so busy trying to push down on my brotha Johnny, I meant no harm with my terminal tackle suggestion. Def not intended at you. Some of us go a ways back and enjoy hating on each other...as often as we can...

But those breakoffs are killer moments that haunt for a while. I'm still trying to find the best situation...I love a lighter rod and reel. But I'm loaded for bear on line size and terminal gear. And when a snag or seal jumps the hook...I'm just a dead man. On my last trip, I had seals burn off the braid on two reels. So now I've got to come up with a spool hold because my thumb skins were damaged, lol. Just can't get enough of the big bend...Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
maquinapescado

Quote:
Hey Brian-man...all good. I was so busy trying to push down on my brotha Johnny, I meant no harm with my terminal tackle suggestion. Def not intended at you. Some of us go a ways back and enjoy hating on each other...as often as we can...

But those breakoffs are killer moments that haunt for a while. I'm still trying to find the best situation...I love a lighter rod and reel. But I'm loaded for bear on line size and terminal gear. And when a snag or seal jumps the hook...I'm just a dead man. On my last trip, I had seals burn off the braid on two reels. So now I've got to come up with a spool hold because my thumb skins were damaged, lol. Just can't get enough of the big bend...Jim
I didn't take any offense from your comment. It was good input as I am using 5+ yr old braid and leaving knots on from two trips prior (Again, I'm an idiot). These rod tubes on my PA are destroying my guides except my CalStar WC Deckhand (SS guides). I'm gonna get more of them or the Seeker Pinheads. I'm gonna stop using graphite and get all SS guides. As far as terminal goes, the lightest I usually use is #40. I will use #70 night fishing squid grounds or in WFO bites. I'm not into that whole, I landed a fish "this big" on #5 test. I like saying, "Cool, I landed three fish while you were doing that."
Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Johnny, being new to this forum I will bight my tongue and refrain from ruffling your feathers out of respect to my seniors. Being an egotistical fisherman on a deck, I am humbled being new to the kayak seen. I will just say that my fishing resume IMO deems me qualified to determine what type of fish I am on three minutes into a fight; be it WSB YT, BSB, Batman, Butt, dog or shark. I would break all of those down in relation to yesterdays scenario, but I am not gonna write a thesis on it. I metered some fish in the same spot last week that wouldn't go. I normally don't just throw out where I was fishing on BD or any other forum but since two full days of fishing that area nearly by myself, I was hoping some guys on here might see some light and go searching down that tunnel and hang one.

I even feel like less of a man for writing as much as I have so far......

Just because I'm curious..........post your resume

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Just because I'm curious..........post your resume
I go through seven tubs of Vaseline a week and return more keyboards with sticky keys than anyone on earth.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
jorluivil

Quote:
I go through seven tubs of Vaseline a week and return more keyboards with sticky keys than anyone on earth.

Welcome to BWE

You're going to FIT right IN

You should try ASTRO glide. Un like Vaseline it doesn't leave a sticky residue and washes much easier than petroleum jelly.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
Sully1

You'll get 'em next time
Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #19
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
Quote:
I'm getting sick of the d**k swinging contest. Palos Verdes Peninsula is from Point Fermin to PV proper. If you're gonna attack me, know WTF you're talking about.
And another note. I don't go in at the "launch." That would make an extra couple miles to get out of Queens Gate. I'm not afraid of ankle slappers.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
i have never fished PV before and i know nothing about it. I dont know the restricted areas, dont know the good locations, dont know the contours, and dont even know what it looks like. i have not fished it for those reasons. i always thought PV (palos verdes) was mainly the pv point. so i am completely honest when i say i dont know wtf i'm talking about. which is why i asked my original question when i posted it.

for you to attack me because of my question... i am still slightly confused about. i have heard much about wsb and yt and big sheepshead that roam that area and i have been wanting to check it out. as i stated earlier, i thought Palos verdes point is where all of the 'good' fishing/diving is located so i was wondering why you paddled from cabrillo all the way there when there are closer launch points to pv point. Was i trying to take a jab at you? no. did you take complete offense to an honest question? yes. is it because people on here were trying to discredit you? maybe.