Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Took on the berm!!!! San Diego bay.....fish report. High tide 9am.

After Launching at first light down hill was the easy part...two battery, 5 poles ice chest,fishing tackle probably 5 trips back and forth, was thinking I might be sleeping on the beach when I get back or locking my canoe up.Anyway im on the water fishing mackerel flys on my left, bounce balling on my right. My first hookup was on a B2 purple squid jig on the bouchball ,I bring it to color its a halibut looks close to being legal I grab the net and the halibut gives a good head shake against the bounce ball and comes off.by now im off the sea hunter docked.i head towards the bait receiver.i finally make bait 5 green backs. I put my first live mackerel on the trap rig and my fist hook up is south of the jettie it feels big peeling line off.it feels hooked after a minute of fighting it my line go's limp I wined in and inspect my bait it missed both hooks
SOAB...it pulled line off like a white seabass.So I put another mackerel on...and get bit again this feel big I set the hook and my line is peeling off the reel fast...i give chase in my canoe.again it comes loose so I wined in and check my rig, bit off...i can see teeth marks on my florcarbon that makes my 3 fish i lost to day.Not liking these new hooks in trying. By now the afternoon wind picks up at least 25 knots my canoe feels like a balloon in the wind even with the dagger keel down, so I anchor up hoping the wind will die down, incoming tide will start at 3pm it will be a long slow journey crabbing my way back in the wind using trolling motor with oars I head back still working a mackerel on the bottom. I finally make it back to the launch 5 trips back and forth to my truck with gear...the last thing my canoe up the sand...soab...two feet at a time..i feel like a turtle moving through Sand the sand, a true labor of love....all the sudden right before the berm...a nice fellow from Albania say let me help you, im stocked he grabs one side and pulls im having a hard time keeping up with him...im like what happened to the berm as my canoe is resting on my l---- bar,10 minutes later I on my way home.
Made it after thinking I might be spending the night
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-17-2018 at 07:36 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
Southman

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
It is amazing how the butts have a knack for escaping the hook. They can pretty well destroy a bait and somehow manage not to get hooked.

I remember a famous quote:

A brief sleigh ride is than no sleigh ride.
- anonymous
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
MattRabasco

What and no pic? Maybe use a lighter rod and the hook won’t pull at the boat- don’t really get the tuna stick trolling rod set up? Maybe for bounce balling?
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

You get four pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRabasco View Post
What and no pic? Maybe use a lighter rod and the hook won’t pull at the boat- don’t really get the tuna stick trolling rod set up? Maybe for bounce balling?
Tuna rod is for bounce balling....get it.
Pole size had nothing to do with loosening the halibut
The first mackerel on the trap rig ,what ever it was missed both hooks. Second mackerel was bit off

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-17-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Make it 5 pictures......

No wonder the halibut shook off the hook on the bounce ball rig, not enough hook was in it...maybe going to put an egg sinker or plastic beads in skirt to move hook back.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-18-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
exfactor
Junior

use 1/0 Owner ST36 in front, and 3/0 in back. Trebles work wayyyy better for that.
exfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Sounds

Good
Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 AM   #8
fourtogo

Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
After Launching at first light down hill was the easy part...two battery, 5 poles ice chest,fishing tackle probably 5 trips back and forth, was thinking I might be sleeping on the beach when I get back or locking my canoe up.Anyway im on the water fishing mackerel flys on my left, bounce balling on my right. My first hookup was on a B2 purple squid jig on the bouchball ,I bring it to color its a halibut looks close to being legal I grab the net and the halibut gives a good head shake against the bounce ball and comes off.by now im off the sea hunter docked.i head towards the bait receiver.i finally make bait 5 green backs. I put my first live mackerel on the trap rig and my fist hook up is south of the jettie it feels big peeling line off.it feels hooked after a minute of fighting it my line go's limp I wined in and inspect my bait it missed both hooks
SOAB...it pulled line off like a white seabass.So I put another mackerel on...and get bit again this feel big I set the hook and my line is peeling off the reel fast...i give chase in my canoe.again it comes loose so I wined in and check my rig, bit off...i can see teeth marks on my florcarbon that makes my 3 fish i lost to day.Not liking these new hooks in trying. By now the afternoon wind picks up at least 25 knots my canoe feels like a balloon in the wind even with the dagger keel down, so I anchor up hoping the wind will die down, incoming tide will start at 3pm it will be a long slow journey crabbing my way back in the wind using trolling motor with oars I head back still working a mackerel on the bottom. I finally make it back to the launch 5 trips back and forth to my truck with gear...the last thing my canoe up the sand...soab...two feet at a time..i feel like a turtle moving through Sand the sand, a true labor of love....all the sudden right before the berm...a nice fellow from Albania say let me help you, im stocked he grabs one side and pulls im having a hard time keeping up with him...im like what happened to the berm as my canoe is resting on my l---- bar,10 minutes later I on my way home.
Made it after thinking I might be spending the night
I saw you last Friday, your rig is quite the deal,.
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 AM   #9
Harry Hill

purple jig

Is the point on hook supposed to be like that? It looks like it got bent over some.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Any luck fourtogo....what kayak were you in...

And Harry that's an octopus off set circle hook, not sure if it's the best hook to use, its new to me, I think it's more of a rock fish hook....then tuna or yellowtail I could be wrong and you can't go wrong with a treble hook.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-21-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

Yep, need a stouter rod when you are bouncing 8-20 ounces of lead.

I have a 4 foot panga stick I wrapped with a roller stripper and tip just for bouncing on the kayak. Having the line closer to the side of the kayak helps minimize the torque that pedaling/paddling effort needs to compensate for.

I'm just not a successful halibut fisherman on most days
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I have to make sure I clear my trolling motor.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Yep, need a stouter rod when you are bouncing 8-20 ounces of lead.

I have a 4 foot panga stick I wrapped with a roller stripper and tip just for bouncing on the kayak. Having the line closer to the side of the kayak helps minimize the torque that pedaling/paddling effort needs to compensate for.

I'm just not a successful halibut fisherman on most days
I have wrapped the propeller more times than I can remember...i fish up to three rods you got to stay focused
and watch your graph for anything that might tangle the bounce ball.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-21-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
Harry Hill

I guess I've never used the octopus hooks, that point looks like it would be hard to set. I think the point would be better in line with the rest of the hook. Of course I haven't caught a legal butt yet so what do I know.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Harry Hill

I googled octopus hooks and none show the point bent over like that. I think yours are flawed. I think if you try to straighten it the tip may break off
Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Bizarre.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I googled octopus hooks and none show the point bent over like that. I think yours are flawed. I think if you try to straighten it the tip may break off
Think I'll add a treble hook and make it a trap rig to be safe or just use one treble hook
Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
jayhawkrob
Junior

Those look like a standard octopus circle hook. They're designed with the point curved to the middle (hence the circle) to set the hook without having to lift the rod. They usually work great for trolling live bait but don't always get the best penetration if you don't put quick tension on the line early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayhawkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #17
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkrob View Post
Those look like a standard octopus circle hook...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...active&ssui=on
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Glad to hear that.....

I must be old school bronze #2 J hook swing....and yell hookup...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
I have wrapped the propeller more times than I can remember...i fish up to three rods you got to stay focused
and watch your graph for anything that might tangle the bounce ball.

Was scratching my head for a bit. When I wrote "that I wrapped" I meant that I built it for bounceballing. I usually bounceball from that stick and have a longer, more sensitive one out the other side with either banana sinker and leader or dropshot further back out of range of the bounceball rig.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
Harry Hill

I stand corrected, but I don't think I'll use them