Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #1
Salty

Kayaker in Huge SoCal Swell 12-28-23

If anyone's been paying attention to the news or surf reports, you probably heard that a massive swell hit the California coast this past Thursday/Friday. I planned to surf on Thursday with a buddy at the peak of the swell. We timed our paddle-out at the HB cliffs with the dropping tide around noon and after a 20-30 minute paddle, we made it through the chaos and into the small pack of guys in the lineup. Waves were coming in very consistently in the 15'+ range and bigger on the largest sets. There were maybe only 8 or so other surfers out, but what really blew my mind was watching Steve K. in his blue Outback casually cruising along with a bounceball rig(I believe) deployed just outside the breakers. The whole time I couldn't imagine how he even got out there, let alone how he was going to get back in! After surfing almost 3 hours, I took a massive 20+ wave cleanup set to the head and got completely throttled, so I decided I was done. Or the ocean decided I was. Either way, I made it to shore and when I got back to the truck, I knew I had to get my camera. Captured some shots of the waves from the cliff with my telephoto. Then I heard some guy yell "The kayaker's going for it!" turned my lens just in time to snap a little sequence of Steve absolutely SENDING IT to shore! Even from so far away, I could tell he was flying. He made it down the face and into the whitewater, but the wall of whitewater appeared to overwhelm the kayak and flipped him. Fortunately, there was a lifeguard on a jet ski watching him the whole time and made sure he got to shore safely. Definitely the most extreme kayaking I have ever seen in person. Pictures posted below. Steve- If you're here, you're a freakin' legend dude. Hats off to you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _INS2056.jpg (46.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2058.jpg (37.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2059.jpg (44.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2060.jpg (47.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2061.jpg (50.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2063.jpg (46.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2072.jpg (63.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2069.jpg (58.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2039.jpg (89.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2083.jpg (72.3 KB, 89 views)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #2
Salty

Here's some shots I took of the surf just for perspective:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _INS2020.jpg (34.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg _INS2024.jpg (70.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg _INS20233.jpg (49.8 KB, 89 views)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:52 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Wow, that was some impressive surf. Awesome shots of Steve making alternative use out of an outback!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:50 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
That's fkg amazing 👏 coming from a non surfer 🏄

Good timing on your cellphone 📱
Thanks for sharing
That's why I like BWE you never know what you might see out of the ordinary.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
f'nsabiki

That's me on my Outback--what's the big deal?
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Being a scuba diver my whole life...

And no big wave experience I would never attempt something like that. But I could see how a surfer would
Strip down kayak with a good keel to keep you straight and a good wet suit so you bob up. And bonsai it.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
fourtogo

Surf kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
If anyone's been paying attention to the news or surf reports, you probably heard that a massive swell hit the California coast this past Thursday/Friday. I planned to surf on Thursday with a buddy at the peak of the swell. We timed our paddle-out at the HB cliffs with the dropping tide around noon and after a 20-30 minute paddle, we made it through the chaos and into the small pack of guys in the lineup. Waves were coming in very consistently in the 15'+ range and bigger on the largest sets. There were maybe only 8 or so other surfers out, but what really blew my mind was watching Steve K. in his blue Outback casually cruising along with a bounceball rig(I believe) deployed just outside the breakers. The whole time I couldn't imagine how he even got out there, let alone how he was going to get back in! After surfing almost 3 hours, I took a massive 20+ wave cleanup set to the head and got completely throttled, so I decided I was done. Or the ocean decided I was. Either way, I made it to shore and when I got back to the truck, I knew I had to get my camera. Captured some shots of the waves from the cliff with my telephoto. Then I heard some guy yell "The kayaker's going for it!" turned my lens just in time to snap a little sequence of Steve absolutely SENDING IT to shore! Even from so far away, I could tell he was flying. He made it down the face and into the whitewater, but the wall of whitewater appeared to overwhelm the kayak and flipped him. Fortunately, there was a lifeguard on a jet ski watching him the whole time and made sure he got to shore safely. Definitely the most extreme kayaking I have ever seen in person. Pictures posted below. Steve- If you're here, you're a freakin' legend dude. Hats off to you!
I have seen another guy doing that on much smaller days in a orange/yellow outback
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:11 PM   #8
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
Looks like you survived. all good!

TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:35 PM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
It's bad Ass Cool!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote