Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
bluesquids

Childrens Pool Meeting Tues 2/17 2pm

Guys this is important, let's make a showing.
Please read... esp. post #3. & #5
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?p=885452&posted=1#post885452

Last edited by bluesquids; 02-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
bluesquids

FYI- FOS means "friends of seals"....not the other thing.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
bigderel
UberMember

Thanks for the heads up. Nice to see that they schedule these meetings on a Tuesday at 2pm when the average Joe is at work. Some very well thought out arguments against these efforts in the thread you linked to.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
prowlerdude

Quote:
Nice to see that they schedule these meetings on a Tuesday at 2pm when the average Joe is at work.
Especiall since all of the pro-seal people dont work....
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
VAQUERO
Freediver

Printable letter to SD council members

Here is a printable version of a letter that you can have people sign if they don't want to take the time to email. Please support this issue. The MLPA taking over the NW corner of the La Jolla kelp beds will be soooooo much easier if they turn Children's Pool into a permanent rookery protected under the marine act.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=78211
VAQUERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Matt
Support your local pangas

Cough..cough...tuesday...sick...I will be there.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
VAQUERO
Freediver

Thank You

Matt, keep up the effort and please spread the word. Make sure you express the urgency of the Children's Pool to our future fishing rights in La Jolla. Anything helps: Letters, E-Mails, attendance of council meetings. Thank you, Brent.
VAQUERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
cioppino

"Especially since all of the pro-seal people dont work.... " Classic...lol

I hope to tell the story of when I brought my four year old down there to show him the seal wackos that were keeping him from playing on what should be his beach, only to see a freshly shark attacked seal wail and bleed all over the beach. Was not a pretty sight and only made him afraid to go in the water. That place is a shark magnet in the middle of a recreation zone.
So after they close the Childrens Pool that was meant for children because a wild animal that needs no protecting sleeps there, will they then go after balboa park because racoons and squirels live and breed there? Christ I could go on and on and on....what a mess.
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Billy V

I'm off and hate those assholes from seal watch.

I just sent a letter to every SD Council Member stating Opposition to amendment of 1931 Tidelands Trust pertaining to Children’s Pool.

Last edited by Billy V; 02-14-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Brian Sanner

I have seen alot of personal property (boats and docks), in Newport Harbor that the seals have taken a liking to. They do untold damage to the property in the process, on top of the racket they make when fighting over room on some poor guys boat or dock. Should they have the right to seize or turn into sanctuaries personal watercraft, docks etc...... because seals have taken a liking to it and choose it as their hauling out spot? rediculous that they would try to rewrite this to suit their needs. The whole thing of having the meeting at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday is just typical.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
PAL

During last month's MLPA meetings in San Diego, the FOS paraded one speaker after another to the microphone. Their message? ALL of La Jolla should be closed as a State Marine Reserve to further protect the seal rookery. A 3 mile by 4 mile closure starting at the current reserve and wrapping around the point all the way south to the end of the kelp bed would most definitely affect kayak fishing.

Similarly, pro-access people are using the backlash generated against the FOS to further their aims. Although I did not previously have an issue with the presence of the seals, as they almost never bother hook and line anglers, my sympathies now lie with the access crowd.

The situation is complex, one I don't care to lay out any further in public. As always, I'm available via PM, as is MJ.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I emailed a version of the "letter" to all the City Council members. Two messages bounced back for having bad addresses, (I used what was posted). Only Sherri Lightner bothered to acknowledge receipt of the message.

My experience with City Government is that most of the decisions on issues being brought to public meetings have already been decided prior to the public meeting. The meetings are mainly to make the public think that we have some input on the decision making process. There is money already budgeted to clean up the CP and rebuild the Lifeguard tower. The Lifeguards speak as if it is already a done deal.

I would be surprised if any minds will be changed at this point but it certainly won't hurt to have a few reasonable people at this meeting who support our point of view on this issue. Most of the FOS people are semi-nutcases, (remember the tatooed guy with the huge fishhook stuck in his skin?). Even the roughest of our group will come across as reasonable when compared to some of our opponents.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Billy V

They have already scaffold around the lifeguard tower. It also looks like there are surveillance cameras there.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Matt
Support your local pangas

sorry to say guys, but I am not gonna make the meeting i just got called into work....good luck!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
dgax65
Guerro Grande

So, that didn't go very well. It was quite obvious that the council had already made a decision. There is no acknowledgment of what is right; just what is popular and will save the city some money. I shouldn't have expected any sort of integrity or courage from that lot. Just takin' the easy way out.

Taken by itself, this isn't such a huge loss. It is obvious that it will be tied up in the courts for years to come. The real issue that needs to be dealt with now is the seal-huggers trying to expand the La Jolla Reserve boundary to meet the soon-to-be Casa Beach Marine Mammal Sanctuary.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The thing is, that by not doing anything useful, the City Council has just prolonged the process. There are plans in place to dredge the CP and rebuild the Lifeguard tower. Assuming that this occures, it will be a very disruptive event for the seals laying on the beach at the CP. Will the the FOS figure out some way to stop this process? Will the seals leave when the noise level gets too high? Will life as we know it stop if the seals move a few hundred yards down the shoreline to a more appropriate place?

By the way, when I was a kid, all the seals all lived on Seal Rock, a short distance from the CP. They stayed away from the CP because there were too many Children at the Children's Pool. Apparently they preferred the solitude of this relatively protected spot over the constant din of kids having fun at the beach that was named in their honor.

At some point, someone in authoritiy is going to have to step up and take a stand. Hopefully that stand is on the side of reason. Apparently the current San Diego City Council does not have anyone willing to do the right thing. Does anyone know how the vote went down? If so, please post the vote results.

I no longer live in the City of San Diego but still consider La Jolla to be my home. It really pisses me off when elected officials sit back and take the easy way out in order to avoid making a decision on an important issue. This has to change.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
dorf

Why not just return the area to its original state? By building the wall to create the children’s pool the city has messed with the natural order of things. Was an ecological impact study done on this site prior to the building of the wall? I don’t think they really thought about that sort of stuff back in 1930’s when Ellen Browning Scripps donated the funds to build the sea wall and now we have to deal with the aftermath.
Mr Mayor Tear down the wall!
The ocean comes back to the cliff and there wouldn’t be a need for a huge life guard tower as it will no longer be a swim place. Even for SCUBA diving it has been relatively unsafe because of the heavy rip currents.
Personally I don’t use the area. I have taken out of town friends there to see the seals and usually we can’t stay too long for the smell is so bad. I could care less either way but it seams to me that spending a couple of hundred thousands to remove the wall now will save the city millions in the long run.
That’s my 2 pennies.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
ratdog

I went to the City coucil meeting yesterday, and the FOS were a huge majority in attendance. They were well represented by a few sharp shooting attorney's.
I might be way off on this issue but personally I don't use the CP nor do I visit it, but I have seen what years and years of Marine mammal feces does to the coronado Islands!
Wait another 25 years and let the feces pile even deeper and higher into the sand, then every day that the sun is out and the wind is down La Jolla "The Jewel" will freaking stink like a dead whale carcus and the flies will be so thick at "the Jewel" that nobody will want to go close to that place. The ignorant lady who went to the podium to say how all the merchants want the seals to stay might change her toon in 20 years but by then it will be way to late. Just my humble opinion.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
PAL

The vote was 7-1, with only La Jolla councilwoman Sherri Lightner opposed. What do you suppose she knows that the others don't? CP is in her district. Go figure.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...a-focus-city-/
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Wait another 25 years and let the feces pile even deeper and higher into the sand, then every day that the sun is out and the wind is down La Jolla "The Jewel" will freaking stink like a dead whale carcus and the flies will be so thick at "the Jewel" that nobody will want to go close to that place. The ignorant lady who went to the podium to say how all the merchants want the seals to stay might change her toon in 20 years but by then it will be way to late. Just my humble opinion.
It's been like that every summer when it gets hot. That is why they closed the swim area to the public back in 1997 because the bacteria count was so high.

"Tear down the wall" -Pink Floyd