Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Sherm

Wide open grumpy fishin 3-28 MB

I had the company picnic set up at mission bay for Saturday and got there early so I could get some yak time in. I set up the trailer at 5:30am and got ready for the sunrise. I was on the water at 1st light with the begining of an incoming tide and a slight offshore breeze.

I arrived at my 1st spot and cast around a while before I landed my 1st fish. A chunker spottie broke the ice. The fishing wasn't that hot so I moved to my second spot. Nothing was happening there. The tide was now starting to move pretty well so I figured I would try my third spot. I lit a stoagie to change the luck. The power of the stoagie worked again. I wasn't far into it when I got my first hookup. It was another big spottie. Well the stoagie (may have been the tide) sure changed things around. I started getting bit on just about every other cast. The spotties came alive. These were all good size grumpies. There wasn't a dink in the bunch. The smallest went 13 inches and the biggest went 19.

I fished for another hour and a half and then had to get back to set up the company picnic. I had 20 employees and their families showing up for a BBQ and I knew they were going to be hungry and....no...spotties weren't on the menu. We did have the usual burgers and dogs and I also picked up some of the best shrimp and scallops from Tommy. The shrimp were huge and the scallops were riduculous in size. They made some awesome kabobs on the grill. Also made for happy employees.

The day turned out great with perfect weather, a great picninc and just plain stupid spottie fishing.

Fish Count:

26 spotties (that's it)

all C&R

Incoming tide
light line
Gulp and plastics with Uni Butter
Attached Thumbnails
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I lit a stoagie to change the luck.
always makes me feel better

Are you fishing Saturday's MB tourney? Your report gives me hope! Thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Lord Matthew34
Mad Yakker

Nice Spotties!

Way to take care of your employees with a bbq at the bay!
Lord Matthew34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
always makes me feel better

Are you fishing Saturday's MB tourney? Your report gives me hope! Thank you
Wish I was fishing that tourney Andy. However....I'll be in Sedona AZ. visiting the daughter and grandson. The bay mojo is coming back. Felt good to pull on a number of fish again. Some good bass thumb going on right now. Good luck in the tourney.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Brian Sanner

Great report and sounds and looks like great fishing. The down side is that the tournament this Saturday in Mission Bay you will not be able to fish any of those areas. Tournament directors have closed off the 1/2 of the bay, so no Fiesta Bay, no bowling pin, no camp land, no Sea World, because they are holding the tournament the same day as the San Diego Crew Classic . The other 1/2 of the bay that is open to fish..........................not as epic and would take about a dozen or more stogies or one "magic" stogie to change your fortune in there .

There's always next year.............................................. ??? Thanks for the report, sounded like a fun day.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Matthew34 View Post
Nice Spotties!

Way to take care of your employees with a bbq at the bay!

A couple of the benefits of working for me.