Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Okuma Cedros Coastal rods?

Been seeing these a lot lately and am thinking of picking one up in an 8' or 8'6". Handled one at BPS today and they feel nice. They look sick in the blue, but are they worth it or should I go with something else? run about 140$. I'll be using this rod mainly for big plastics and bait on occasion. Haven't seen any reviews on them from the usual sources, whats the word on these ?
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
landwhale

This is my new arsenal the Coastal rods I have are for throwing plastics up to 1oz. If you look at the pic you can see that the rod butt is longer on the Coastal and tucks nicely to the elbow very comfortable. I am very glad I switched sold some more expense rods to switch and am not sorry at all.

Give them a try!

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

That Serrano is an awesome reel, I may have to pick up another ! Smoother than my curado. How long have you been using the Serrano? Durable with normal maintenance?

What do you think of that Cedros reel? Much better than Serrano? I handled one yesterday at the okuma distributor in Ontario, feels nice too but wish it had more line capacity. The okuma guys were awesome btw, I lost my spool tension cap and bearing on my Serrano ( had it too loose while pitching for LMB ) and they took care of me and hooked me up for free.

I'm looking to get the H 1-3oz version of the Coastal to double as a large fw swimbait rod and as a 1+ oz sw swimbait and occasional bait rod. Which are you using?
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
JeffB

My buddy and I have some brand new, still tagged Okuma Costals that we are customizing if your interested. You can pick the colors you want on it and everything. Add your ame, fish decal or whatever you want. Best part is that you do not loose the factory warranty. Thet are 8' med action, they are green as well and not blue. They come with an Okuma rod sleeve. PM me if interested.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
landwhale

I bought the first Serrano and an EVX rod over a year ago and found the reel to out perform my Curados in the yak. So this year added the Serrano and a Cedros Coastal 7' 6" 10 to 20lb 1/2 to 1oz for the light bait and for fishing the kelp and deeper water the Cedros Reel and a Cedros Coastal 7' 6" 1 to 1 1/2oz for since I hardley ever use over 1 1/2oz baits. The 7 to 1 for reeling them in faster.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
I bought the first Serrano and an EVX rod over a year ago and found the reel to out perform my Curados in the yak. So this year added the Serrano and a Cedros Coastal 7' 6" 10 to 20lb 1/2 to 1oz for the light bait and for fishing the kelp and deeper water the Cedros Reel and a Cedros Coastal 7' 6" 1 to 1 1/2oz for since I hardley ever use over 1 1/2oz baits. The 7 to 1 for reeling them in faster.
Your launch is easier than mine. How is maintanence? It is not if but when I will flip where I fish.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
landwhale

LA Jolla' Seal Beach and Cabrio though have not rolled in awhile. I have more than one rod at a time on the deck of the kayak and they tend tosit in the foot wells in the water so far on the year old reel one tear down and lube the spool bearings once a month. Not much