Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
ROOKIE87

Can You Carry a Concealed Weapon on a Kayak

Hey guys,

Excuse me if i sound like a little B... but this last summer of fishing where whites have been poking up has put me a little on edge. My question to you is if we can carry while on a kayak? If not I was thinking about maybe buying a shark shield. What are your ideas? I thought by buying a hobie proangler I was going to be more safe, but I been hearing the peddles look like flippers in the water.
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
jorluivil

Isn't it illegal to kill a GWS?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Personally, I worry about the ones that I don't see more than the ones that I do see. I think that most know what they are getting into when launching into the ocean. There are still creatures popping up that have never been seen before. It's a risk we all take as kayakers. It's like race car driving and knowing that there is always that possibility, but you still do it because it is what you love. But as I digress, I am not sure you can carry conceal on a kayak.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Isn't it illegal to kill a GWS?
It is absolutely illegal, it would be a last ditch effort if i was getting attacked. And i agree we take the inherent risk because it's their playground, but i always like to be prepared for whatever comes my way. I was even thinking m80's for the vibration, but I do get where you are coming from. I just rather take the precautions if there are any...
Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
maui jim

I just tell the GWS where team sewer fishes, usually works...
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

A flare gun works both ways

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
dorado50

[QUOTE=ROOKIE87;176743]It is absolutely illegal, it would be a last ditch effort if i was getting attacked.

For real?....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
ROOKIE87

[QUOTE=dorado50;176746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE87 View Post
It is absolutely illegal, it would be a last ditch effort if i was getting attacked.

For real?....
Yea, absolutely... If it were a possibility...
Old 12-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
A flare gun works both ways
Never thought of that... That's a great idea!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
It is absolutely illegal, it would be a last ditch effort if i was getting attacked. And i agree we take the inherent risk because it's their playground, but i always like to be prepared for whatever comes my way. I was even thinking m80's for the vibration, but I do get where you are coming from. I just rather take the precautions if there are any...
Stay on your kayak!

If it's concealed, and a GWS has created a last ditch effort by knocking you out of your kayak, and it is so damn aggresive that you don't have the time to get back up on your kayak, then you don't have time to get your weapon. I can remount in less than 30 seconds, probably 5 seconds if a GWS just knocked me into the drink, which is much quicker than trying to get out the "concealed weapon". If you can't remount in 30 seconds, that is what you need to practice on, now.

If he capsized the kayak you won't be able to get to your weapon easily, either, and your best bet would be to jump up onto the bottom of your kayak and lay there until it leaves, after it realizes you're not the food it hoped for. Either way you're screwed when it comes to locating/using a "concealed weapon".

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Hey rookie think about this.
If I lived someplace where I felt the NEED to carry concealed -- other than a LEO-- I would move. If I felt the NEED to carry on a yak Id quit. Simple solution.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
danjor

My opinion: If its my time to go its my time to go. Plus its highly unlikely it will happen.

Copy paste from natgeo website[/CODE]
SHARK ATTACK FACTS
Surfers accounted for 50.8% of all attacks in 2010.

Swimmers and Waders accounted for 38% of all attacks in 2010.

Snorkelers and divers accounted for 8% of all attacks in 2010.

Inflatable rafts/inner tubes accounted for 3% of attacks in 2010.
2010 was the most dangerous year for unprovoked shark attacks in a decade with 79.

Over the last half-century, there have been more unprovoked shark attacks in Florida (27 out of a total 139) between 2-3 pm than any other time of the day.

New Smyrna Beach in Florida is the shark attack capital of the world according to ISAF. It is estimated that anyone who has swam there has been within 10ft of a shark.

September is the month with the most Shark attacks in Florida (93) 1920-2010.

Since 1907 201 out 220 Great White Attacks have occurred when the human was less than 6ft from the surface.

You have a 1 in 63 chance of dying from the flu and a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark during your lifetime.

Over 17,000 people die from falls each year. That's a 1 in 218 chance over your lifetime, compared to a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark.

In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans a year. Sharks injured 13.

1n 1996, buckets and pails injured almost 11,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

In 1996, 2600 Americans were injured by room fresheners. Sharks injured 13.

The US averages just 19 shark attacks each year and one shark-attack fatality every two years. Meanwhile, in the coastal U.S. states alone, lightning strikes and kills more than 37 people each year.

Since 1959, Florida has had more shark attacks (603) than lightning fatalities (459).

Since 1959, California has had more shark attacks than lightning fatalities (89/30).

Since 1959, Hawaii has had 97 Shark attacks but no lightning fatalities.

Only 5 people die from shark attacks yearly, while millions of people die from starvation.

Since 1905, Natal (where Durban is) has had 89 shark attacks and 27 fatalities.
For every human killed by a shark, humans kill approximately two million sharks.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
My opinion: If its my time to go its my time to go. Plus its highly unlikely it will happen.

Copy paste from natgeo website[/CODE]
SHARK ATTACK FACTS
Surfers accounted for 50.8% of all attacks in 2010.

Swimmers and Waders accounted for 38% of all attacks in 2010.

Snorkelers and divers accounted for 8% of all attacks in 2010.

Inflatable rafts/inner tubes accounted for 3% of attacks in 2010.
2010 was the most dangerous year for unprovoked shark attacks in a decade with 79.

thanks for putting that into perspective brotha, you are right...
Over the last half-century, there have been more unprovoked shark attacks in Florida (27 out of a total 139) between 2-3 pm than any other time of the day.

New Smyrna Beach in Florida is the shark attack capital of the world according to ISAF. It is estimated that anyone who has swam there has been within 10ft of a shark.

September is the month with the most Shark attacks in Florida (93) 1920-2010.

Since 1907 201 out 220 Great White Attacks have occurred when the human was less than 6ft from the surface.

You have a 1 in 63 chance of dying from the flu and a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark during your lifetime.

Over 17,000 people die from falls each year. That's a 1 in 218 chance over your lifetime, compared to a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark.

In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans a year. Sharks injured 13.

1n 1996, buckets and pails injured almost 11,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

In 1996, 2600 Americans were injured by room fresheners. Sharks injured 13.

The US averages just 19 shark attacks each year and one shark-attack fatality every two years. Meanwhile, in the coastal U.S. states alone, lightning strikes and kills more than 37 people each year.

Since 1959, Florida has had more shark attacks (603) than lightning fatalities (459).

Since 1959, California has had more shark attacks than lightning fatalities (89/30).

Since 1959, Hawaii has had 97 Shark attacks but no lightning fatalities.

Only 5 people die from shark attacks yearly, while millions of people die from starvation.

Since 1905, Natal (where Durban is) has had 89 shark attacks and 27 fatalities.
For every human killed by a shark, humans kill approximately two million sharks.

thanks for the perspective brotha ur right
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
danjor

Your more likely to get injured taking a dump than getting attacked let alone get eaten by a shark.... stay on your yak play smart and be safe around toilets, apparently there really dangerous lol
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Hey rookie think about this.
If I lived someplace where I felt the NEED to carry concealed -- other than a LEO-- I would move. If I felt the NEED to carry on a yak Id quit. Simple solution.
I get your point, it's just one of the crap things about over analyzing.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Stay on your kayak!

If it's concealed, and a GWS has created a last ditch effort by knocking you out of your kayak, and it is so damn aggresive that you don't have the time to get back up on your kayak, then you don't have time to get your weapon. I can remount in less than 30 seconds, probably 5 seconds if a GWS just knocked me into the drink, which is much quicker than trying to get out the "concealed weapon". If you can't remount in 30 seconds, that is what you need to practice on, now.

If he capsized the kayak you won't be able to get to your weapon easily, either, and your best bet would be to jump up onto the bottom of your kayak and lay there until it leaves, after it realizes you're not the food it hoped for. Either way you're screwed when it comes to locating/using a "concealed weapon".

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron
thanks for the insite brotha, I was thinking a glock like in my life jacket so I would be in the water with it.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
maui jim

I have been giving some thought....
I say you go ask for advise form the "Seal Lady" by the Children's Pool in La Jolla, and ask the always kind, always warm and friendly, and ever knowing "Seal Lady" be sure to show her what you will be using, there might be a caliber restriction, but she will know.. She will most likely sign off on this... and presto...changeo...All Good!!
She does have alot of pull with the local authorties, since she is a pillar of the community.

Just a thought..
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I have been giving some thought....
I say you go ask for advise form the "Seal Lady" by the Children's Pool in La Jolla, and ask the always kind, always warm and friendly, and ever knowing "Seal Lady" be sure to show her what you will be using, there might be a caliber restriction, but she will know.. She will most likely sign off on this... and presto...changeo...All Good!!
She does have alot of pull with the local authorties, since she is a pillar of the community.

Just a thought..
Lol, will she bail me out if her info is incorrect?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
danjor

Quote:
Lol, will she bail me out if her info is incorrect?
Only if buy her a seal furr coat. Hence why she is called the seal lady she loves seal.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Only if buy her a seal furr coat. Hence why she is called the seal lady she loves seal.
sweet, I'll work on that lol