Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Phishphood

Beginning gear up

Hi guys. Literally just found this forum while looking for info on socal kayak fishing. I'm coming down from northern CA and have my share of experience fishing the salt up here but absolutely nothing down there. From the looks of it, you guys mostly target big game at least right now. What would be good gear for occasionally hooking up with a yt or wsb? I have access to rigs usually used for salmon mooching but not much heavier/no faster reels. Are those necessary? Are bait buckets a necessity or is there a fair shot with artificials? Aside from that, a decent 8lb spinning rig OK for making bait and targeting anything else when I just need to put some fish on the teams?

Thanks a lot for any advice guys and if you're ever headed up north check out NCKA they'll take care of you.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Welcome, from what I have seen most people are using the heavier traditional reels, I love spinning reels like the Shimano Baitrunner and my Penn Live liner. I have 65# braid on both of them and I am using 30# flouro leader on both and have had success. I use a Seeker 7 foot MH rod and have no problems pulling up YTs and a bluefin with my setup. As far as bait, I use the Mustad sabiki from walmart and a cheaper shimano reel and ugly stick. When bait has been tough I use pieces of squid and have never had a problem. The bite has been incredible and some are saying it is dying off but I have heard it is supposed to pick back up..thanks el nino. When your in San Diego and Mission bays you can go with lighter gear..although I usually stay with my same setup just in case a catch a bigger halibut or even leopard shark for a photo op. Good luck! and I am sure more people will add their setups but this is what I use and seems to work..next target is a WSB.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
guest who
Junior

What part of Socal are you moving to?
guest who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Phishphood

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to be in chula Vista for the next few weeks then somewhere else in the greater sd area after that.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
tacmik

When you are in Chula Vista, there is a nice launch area at J st. that puts you right in the south end of S.D. bay. 8# rig is fine there and you can catch spotted bay bass and the occasional bone fish. In that end of the bay, Gulp shrimp and gulp jerk shad work well along with other soft baits. Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Phishphood

Hah, I'm right off J. Talking about the marina, yeah? I'll pick up some gulps and add them to my big hammers.

I have time this week so if anyone sees a bright orange canoe-yak looking thing at la Jolla going out and in repeatedly that's just me working on my launches/landing.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Phishphood

Thanks to the guys that helped me out on finding scrap material. Fixed my crack but it ain't pretty. Note to self, kayak repair really works best with a bladed soldering iron, not just a point.

Water tested it today and it rode fine, just a little wet with an extra body sitting in the front of it.

Planning to head to squidco tomorrow. I need a list otherwise I'm going to get in to huge trouble there. Current rod/reels are:
7' Ugly Stik Tiger 20-50lb with a Daiwa 40HA saltist reel (picked up off CL)
8' 2pc Fenwick 15-30lb rated for 1-2 1/2oz lures
Shakespear Pro Touch LE 6'6" medium action 6-17lb
Generic 7' 12-25lb med-heavy action rated for 1-3oz lures

Besides the saltist I have a Shakespear Tiger spinning reel (don't know much about it)
Daiwa Longcast AG1300 spinning reel (yeah I know, used it for trout not so much salt)

I can get my hands on a levelwind that I used for salmon mooching up north.

Think that's good enough for me to get out, make bait and say a prayer I'd be able to hook something else? As for terminal tackle I know I'll need a little of everything (the complete run-down comes later as finances allow). I figure a few jigs, swimbaits, live bait hooks, yo-yo jigs? (not really sure the difference). Planning on spooling the saltist with 50lb braid and then end up with 10-15yds of 40lb fluoro? Am I completely off base there? Looking to be able to troll and drift some bait for yellows (fingers crossed) but then target calicos and halibut. Some barrel swivels, three-ways, snaps (anyone still use them?) assorted weights.... Anything you can think of, just throw it at me.

Eh, and I guess a gaff. Anyone have any recommendations on that? For rockfish/lings I just used a homemade one but I get the feeling that won't cut it with a quality fish down here. Same with a game clip, thoughts? Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
2-Stix

I use 65# braid with 5' of 30# floro.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Phishphood

Alright, stopped by squidco.
Picked up a bunch of gear based on Joey's recommendations. Spooled what I guessed was about 1/2 of the 500yd spool of 65lb powerpro. Can you guys tell from the photo if that was enough on there? Or am I screwed and should add more braid, or just respool with more?

Also on fluoro top-shot - I have a 30yd spool of 40lb fluoro. I know it's a little heavy but there's always gotta be at least one fish that's not line shy, right? How long should I go with? I was thinking either 5' or 10'. Rod is a 7'. Suggestions on braid-fluoro knot? How about fluoro-hook/lure.

Also, here's a shot of my tackle box at the moment. Couple of megabaits, a krocodile, fast drop and a diving (10') rapala for trolling. Also picked up a few sabiki's in different sizes. Hooks are 2/0 and 4/0 live bait hooks. I forgot to pick up circles instead but oh well, I just have to remember to set the hook. Also heard about folks replacing trebles on the artificials with single hooks. Suggestions on that? Anything else I missed? Just need to get out OTW?

Thanks a ton guys.