Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Cool Ultimate Halibut Trip - Nov. 5, 2011

The Ultimate Halibut Trip

Fishing Report November 5, 2011

Big Waters Edge Crew

Matt (Stinkymatt), Roby (Roby), George (Jorluivil), Erik (Ericko), Tim (Tagyak), Frank (Wiredantz/ Darknachos)

I hope this is a good story to keep you coffee morning drinkers, entertained for a minute or two. -iceman

The Ultimate Halibut Trip or at least that is what we signed up for.>>

Beautiful Chilly Day right after the storm, you could see the beautiful snowcapped mountain range in the background. The rare sight of having clean air in Long Beach even if it was only for a few hours, was a nice sight to behold.

Mission # 1 Make the two mile paddle to the bait barge.

Mission # 2 Catch some Halibuts

Mission # 3 Brag

The surf was about 2 ft high at our launch point, and the swell outside the break wall was high. George and I almost got wiped out during our surf launch, and we weren’t even on our kayaks. (Some of the surf came in out of nowhere, and picked up our yaks while we were setting them up, and almost tossed them)

Well, we all started our long paddle toward the 2 mile bait barge point. (They did not have any kayak scoops there, so we had to split the half scoops between every two kayakers.)

The Bait person’s name was Nacho (No relation)….

Roby and Erik split up to go one direction, and the rest of us headed to fish the wall.

Matt was making a big fuss about not fishing the same imaginary fishing lane as he is, because he doesn’t want to re-fish the same area we have. So Matt finally decides to stick next to the wall while George and I fish deeper waters.

About 2 hours into our paddle, my thumbs start feeling funny. It seems the latex on the jacket is too tight. So I put my gloves under the latex, so the latex is not as tight.

George gets a nice hit and changes his bait and tries to find the halibut again with no success. About 20 mins later, George gets a huge hit!

I call Matt on the radio, and I tell Matt he has a 15lbers. Matt looks over to our side and sees the water splashing and with no shame he paddles over at full speed. (I said with no shame because he practically kicked us off of what he called his route)

George brings up the monster, it’s about a 5ft Leopard Shark. George calls for my assistance; little did he know it was a mistake that he will never forget. George tells me to go around him and try to grab the tail of this Beast.
I go around George and try to subdue the beast… (I guess we should have just gaffed that monster)

I try to grab the tail, but it takes off at full throttle taking my fishing line with it, and I try to take my line back but it is too late. The shark shakes off the fishing line and we lose the fish.

BONEHEAD, IDIOT MOVE! …

I know George wanted to flip my kayak in the middle of the water. -_-

I am immediately ostracized from George’s presence and Matt makes me go to the corner for not putting up my fishing line. (I felt really bad… Like a kid that breaks his Mothers favorite heirloom and is trying to hide).
At this point in time, we are reaching the entrance of another boat gate in the wall.

George decides to fish the entrance, while Tim, Matt, and I fish around rocks. I managed to pull a nice 18inch halibut, but it was not a keeper (legal size is 22 inches). I try to go around this same area to try and hook up his mother, but it was not to be. At this point in time, we were trying to decide if we were going to go meet up with Erick and Roby around The Queen Mary or go fish the islands.

Matt and I decide to fish the island South of White Island. And Tim decides to paddle to Roby and Erik.

I kid you not… (Tim was on the radio, for about 1 hour trying to find out which side and which island to paddle to)…Erick could not get good reception on his radio so Matt does the Smart thing and calls him on his cell phone, but Tim is still trying to find out what island they are on and now he has peddled too far to hear us. Then George gets on the radio and confuses Tim by jokingly telling him that he has to meet them at the Southernmost island at the southern west corner and the West side of the Island. And Matt and I just start laughing so hard. Tim then gets more confused trying to find Erik and Roby…
(*** and you guys though Matt talked a lot on the radio***)

At this point, our group splits up and I let the wind take me back straight to our launch point because my hands started to hurt. Time is 2pm. We all rendezvous at the launch point around 2:30 pm.

At the launch point, I take off my gloves and they are so swollen. They almost look like a blown up rubber gloves. The latex gaskets were so tight they cut off my circulation. Erick had small scissors so we were able to trim some of the latex gaskets to a point where they fit and not cut off my circulation.

The ongoing joke for this trip coming from Matt was: (a pretty good one in fact)

IT WAS THE ULTIMATE HALIBUT TRIP….

“I DIDN’T SEE THE ULTIMATE AND I DIDN’T SEE THE HALIBUT, ALL I SAW WAS THE TRIP”

Some of the guys decided to hoop net around 5 pm, so we took a small break and drove to a new location. The hunter’s man decided to join us.
This was my first time surf launching with hoop nets and most of us had no trouble at all. George managed to turn sideways and almost flipped. (like if it was his first time surf launching).

The night was slow… Out of George, Erick, Matt, Rob, and I we only managed two keepers.
Matt was the funniest he had made a frozen fish treat for the lobsters, I guess it worked because he managed to score one.

It was surely the Longest NON SUCCESFUL DAY I HAVE EVER HAD. 13+miles

No fish report # 79

Here are some more pictures of the trip:

Pictures were taken by George and Rob

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Caffeind

Something must be wrong with my computer.
The halibut photos aren't loading....
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Oh UHT I get it...as usual Frank, well done...some of those pics are great...looks like it was fun anyway...yeah, where are the halibut pics
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
ericko

Thats just the title all fish were caught and released with no pictures....it was more of a kayaking trip than fishing trip....
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Thats just the title all fish were caught and released with no pictures....it was more of a kayaking trip than fishing trip....
Glad to see everyone is doing their part in keeping the butt population thriving...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
lbsurf2ca

Geez how long were you guys on the water Total?
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Frank,

Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Images

RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
i hate you, yes this is exactly what we were looking for...

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Wow the ULTIMATE HALIBUT.... trip.....????
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
taggermike

If a halibut-less halibut trip was the ultimate I went on ultimate salmon, marlin, roosterfish, swordfish, peacock bass, redfish, cod, grouper, snapper, chilean seabass, king mackerel, and african tiger fish trips this year in La Jolla. Just kidding, sounds like a great with friends on the water. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Just for the record, I didn't take part in the ultimate halibut trip... but, I did enjoy meeting up with you guys that night for the ultimate lobster trip

I did fire-up the crabs night before last. Lots of work, but very tastey.

Had fun!
rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
maui jim

You boys could have called the "Ultimate Marlin Trip" or "Ultimate Tuna Mother Ship Trip", or "Untimate Strip Bar Trip"....cuz I didn't see any of those either....
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

Frank I enjoy your posts a lot.........you can make the worst fishing skunk sound like it was SOMETHING!

By the way, I think you have way too much time on your hands. Get a job you bum!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Frank I enjoy your posts a lot.........you can make the worst fishing skunk sound like it was SOMETHING!

By the way, I think you have way too much time on your hands. Get a job you bum!
X 1 million

Lets go do it again....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
X 1 million

Lets go do it again....

Great minds think alike!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

So where's the halibut? I even read through the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. Just kidding nice bro-sesh as least you guys weren't holding hands this time. Ok enough of hearing some nagging from a kid.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post

Water visibility that day was extremely poor, probably less that 3'. Either this is an old pic or this wasn't in the Cabrillo/Long Beach/San Pedro area.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
wiredantz

Ultimate Halibut Paddle And Ride

I am up for ROUND 2

What i want to do is a paddle and ride around palos verdes, we can start at malaga cove and go around rocky point and fish some great halibut spots around there.

No parking from 9pm to 5am

Check this out:

The most popular fishery within this area is the quest for halibut. The Combination shale and sand bottom is the perfect condition needed for the halibut. The mile long shelf has produced more legal halibut than any other spot on the peninsula. The most effective technique is drifting, if you can escape the wind. Start drifting at 70 feet with 2 to 3 ounce slip sinkers. Or drag a large 1 1/2 ounce root beer colored, rubber skirted lead head, tipped with a piece of squid. Live anchovies are the best though, they produce more pickups than any other bait. Brown bait produces larger fish but the wait for a pickup can be a long one. Halibut move around from day to day. Sometimes they are biting at 70 to 100 feet at other times they may be at 30 feet. Each day takes some experimenting but once you catch one, fish at that depth until they quit biting.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing...erdes_423.html

Just tell me when we are going and we can get going. I can even drive the minivan to drive us all back to malaga cove

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing...erdes_423.html

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Sounds good to me...I will put the ball game on the ol HDS 5 in case there is a shortage of butts