Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Fun day La Jolla Surf Launch 5/27

Short story only lost a hat!

Longer story.. Pull up to the launch got butterflies as this is my first launch into La Jolla with all my gear I have been practicing for the last three weeks to make sure I got it down. Pull up to the launch and scope it out for ten minutes and it looked promising.. biggest set's were knee slappers. Offload the Kayak get all the gear onboard and go park the truck. I get back just in time to see a set of 4 to 5 footers annihilate every rental in its path great, butterflies were really kickin now. push out to waist deep and wait for the lull it comes, I hop on and as soon as I start paddlin what do you know here comes the set... it was a 5 minute Rodeo but all I lost was my hat and I kept the thing upright! Pretty stoked. Landing, I nailed it practicing definitely should be a must for guys fishing La Jolla I would have been screwed without it.

As for fishing saw three breezers on the edge of the canyon threw iron at em for nothing, saw birds crashin one more time and ended up being dolphins.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
YlwFin
Junior

Way to go!
I guess practice make good since. Ill be out there maybe tomorrow if I can just to get a few launches and landings under my belt like you before I go loaded with gear.
YlwFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
jorluivil

Those huge sets are unpredictable. My last trip to LJ I sat at the waters edge for 5minutes reading the sets, timing the sets and finally gave it a go. As soon as I thought I was in the clear I started paddling and suddenly i could see a HUGE set starting to build....I was at the top of the wave just before if broke, must of been a 5 - 6 footer. Strange thing about these large breakers is that you never see them until you're in the thick of it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

a wise man always told me to stow my hat when launch and landing. Never lost a hat ever again
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Gotta love those sneaker sets. No matter how good I time set I seem to get the bombs when launching. Same thing surfing too, my friends think it's funny, but they never paddle out with me.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Will do definitely need to store the Hat I am freakin sun-burnt today!