Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Seal Beach Pier area

Does anyone ever take their yak and fish the jetty or the general area around the pier? I saw a lone yakker there once and was curious how the fishing is. I'm mostly wondering about the end of the jetty inaccessible by land because of the fence.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I know Steve (Landwhale) used to fish there all the time. You can catch bass, halibut, sharks and rays around there. Gotta be careful not to wander into the military base on the other side of the jetty with the fence...otherwise they get pissed!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
King Saba

I might be mistaken, but if you plan to launch from Huntington Harbor you aren't allowed to go past the PCH bridge and past the harbor mouth even if you are not fishing.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Your not mistaken, your right you cannot cross under the bridge otherwise some nice people with a mounted machine gun will pay you a visit.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Your not mistaken, your right you cannot cross under the bridge otherwise some nice people with a mounted machine gun will pay you a visit.
hahahaha. i wasn't going to even attempt that. I plan on launching somewhere near the pier. either that, OR, i was going to launch from Alamitos bay and peddle out that way. It doesn't seem very far from alamitos bay jetty to that one.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
That ain't right. We just want to go fishing is all.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
FleshandBlood

I live off 14th st. in Seal and just fished that area 2 weeks ago. Didn't catch anything though was trying to fish before work and had to cut it pretty short. Mainly wanted to see how the launch and landing would be. I have heard that there are big bass on the wall and it doesn't get fished often so it can be rewarding. Seal is known for kicking out big butts now and then. If you are planning to fish the area no need to launch in alamitos Bay. Wheel your kayak down 15th St past dolphin market to the sand and walk towards the south jetty. If you launch relatively near the rocks itll be the best spot. There aren't a ton of waves in that section mainly surges of water mixed with light shore break. You have to act quick and commit when when you go out and come in or you'll be flat on the sand instead of paddling on top of the water but it is definitely do able.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
radastaff

you can launch from 72nd st and paddle over too
I think I did that once

area use to be great halibut fishing
seems after the regular sand walls getting bulldozed every year
fishing got worse there

the gun ship guys will get mad if you climb past the fence on the jetty too
don't be like me

I use to surf fish a bit
nabbed a nice stripper once
brought her home for dinner

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Rocketfish

hey guys, thanks for the tip, especially 15th street. I used to surf fish that area all the time until I got my yak. It is one of my favorite places to surf fish in that there aren't too many people there, and if you go at the right time, there can be a lot of fish.

I was thinking of parking in the paid lot super early (hoping you didn't have to pay until 8) and just walk down and launch near the pier, but 15th street sounds better. I didn't think of doing that because my last recollection of the beach had those really high sand walls. I guess it's free and clear again? I just wouldn't know where to park with a long ass yak hanging off the back of my truck. At any rate, I will give it a try, as I really want to try out that wall. As for launching from Alamitos Bay, it wouldnt be so bad. I like launching from the slips as there is no sand or waves to contend with.

thanks guys
Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Put a 50 cal on the front of your kayak and remind those boys you pay their wages and they work for you. Then let me know how that works out for you in about 10 years when you get out.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Rocketfish

Quick Report

So. Per your guys' recommendation, I launched near 13th street using my new Trax 2-30 wheels. Wow, they make the trip across the sand so much easier than the standard hobie cart wheels.

My buddy and I fished all along the jetty past the fenced barrier and were able to land a bunch of small, sub legal fish. Between the two of us and about 3 hours on the water we landed 3 Calicos, 2 Cudas, 1 Mack, 1 Sand Bass, and one Hali. My swimbait got a lot of short bites and a couple of very heavy bites that tore off the tail (I wonder what it was!).

It was pretty cool near the end of the jetty. I put my polarized glasses on and could see a dozen Garibaldi at any time with their bright orange colors.

On another note, a few guys were fishing off the jetty BEYOND the fence. They had the nerve to tell me to back away from them when I started drifting closer to them. I obliged, of course, but really, the nerve of some people.

Overall it was fun to get out. I haven't been on the water in about 2 months due to moving.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #12
straightrod

Do you think they'll let me under the bridge at Huntington Harbor if I'm driving a Hobie Island tandem with the sail up and a 2.2 Honda motor pushing?
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #13
lopro
Junior

Fished there recently and did well. No boaters allowed which keeps low pressure on the fish. I would only fish it in the summer. Winter time swells can light this place up on the right angle. There is some type of reef half way out that breaks when is XL swell called cloudbreak. Thats what made check this spot but I ended up fishing tight to the wall cause I couldnt mark the reef on my depth finder. Been lurking a long time but have been on the water alot this summer. more vids to come
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4X902dE4I
lopro is offline   Reply With Quote