Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
5-20

Jackson and Malibu Kayaks - Advice Needed About a Couple of Thoughts

I need to get myself into a kayak soon!!! I thought I had it narrowed down to the Stealth 14 or the X-Factor. However, I'm also somewhat intrigued by the Jackson Cuda 14. I like the idea of having a little extra speed and possibly not beating up my bad shoulder as bad as I would with one of those wider Malibu models which might require a little extra paddling effort. Yeah, I still want to paddle, despite my bad shoulder. We'll see if this proves to be a foolhardy decision. Ha-ha. Aaanyway, moving on.

Admittedly, one design feature of the Jackson makes me somewhat nervous. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this, but I really don't feel comfortable with the wide open center storage area. I'm thinking it might be a recipe for disaster. I can see myself using that storage area frequently and perhaps becoming lazy or complacent about securing the straps that hold the lid in place and then one day, possibly take a surprise wave over the sides and have the yak fill up with a ton of water. I'm just not sold on the rather flimsy lid and the pair of straps that hold the lid in place at all.

Am I over thinking this? There's a good chance that as I become more comfortable with BTB fishing, I'll want to venture out to the kelp by myself on more than one occasion, and obviously, the most important thing, above anything else would probably having a rig that has the best chance of getting me back to the launch every time.

Also, I'm starting to like the X-Factor a little more than the Stealth 14 and I've read tons of information about both models, but I'm also wondering if there's anything else I might've missed that pushed you guys towards one model over the other?

Thanks for any/all advice related to the things I'm thinking about as I decide which yak would be the best for me.

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You're probably over thinking. Both Malibu and Jackson are good kayaks, go test ride them before you buy if you can.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
HELLSTER INC.

My current two kayaks are the malibu x13 and the Jackson Cuda 14. I don't see myself ever getting rid of either one! The Cuda is by far my favorite right now. I love the center hatch, easy access with tons of storage and i have been thru some 3'-4' surf and no problems with the hatch. Just my two cents.
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Fishwhisperer619

I really enjoyed my demo of the Cuda 14. Thought it was a very capable and fun platform to fish from. I was very pleased with the stealth 14 and x-factor as well. Ive had both of those open ocean and thought that the x-factor was better suited for me in open ocean over the stealth 14 but thats just me.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
MrPatrick

Trident 13/15 as well
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote