Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
BAJA or BUST 2017 YOUR INPUT

2017 will probabally be my LAST year to HOST these trips, after that I will be happy to HELP others do it. The camp at Gonzaga will stay open for BWE member use. Looking for members to STEP up and keep this open for BWE and YOUR use.

Time to start the planing process for Jan through June 2017.
This is YOUR chance to set up a trip that conforms with your time schedule. If you have a proposed trip with dates please post here. If possible we will make it happen.

IF YOU do not post I will figure there is no INTEREST and not worry about it. If that happens I will post some of my trips before the end of the year, you are always welcome to join me.

29 April to 13 May. I plan on going to Kentucky this is a private trip and I hope to see Svendawg on this trip. In June I plan on doing the San Quintin Halibut Tourney again. Thanksgiving I hope to spend with Ross depending on his location. Christmas and New Years I will be doing the Mag Bay trip.

15-30 OCTOBER on the FLY will be split into two weeks so more can attend the best time for Baja. ALMOST HALF FULL.

NOW is the time for you to get your sh-t together for next year. You deserve a break, you work for it, plan it out and make it happen. Set up your own trip or join one of mine. Tight Lines.

Last edited by Iceman; 03-06-2018 at 03:42 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Mahigeer

When are you going to be there for installation of your solar panels?

Is it part of these trips or an special trip for that project?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Solar installation before end of this year, special trip. Want power for NEW YEARS party. So much fun, so little time.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I will use this thread to post all up coming trips and to post everything I can about these trips, driving directions, recommended tackle, possible weather conditions, any thing pertaining to these trips. By doing this I hope to have all the information for Baja or Bust trips in one easy to find place. You are welcome to post but let's try to keep in on target. Mahigeer please post your equipment list. Walrus could you post your fish caught list? Chuck D how about your tackle suggestions. Thanks guys and BWE. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-21-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Directions to Gonzaga

We meet at 5 am at Johnny's Shell station in El Cajon located at 515 N. Magnolia ave. Just off of the 8 at the 67/N.Magnolia exit From there we stay on the 8 to the 98 exit, follow about 30 miles to the 111 and take left to border crossing, San Diego to border 125 miles. From there we follow the Mex 5 thru Mexicali, follow signs to San Filipe, Puertocitos, Rio Hardy staying on the 5 all the way to San Filipe. Another 125 mies. Going through San Filipe take right at sign to Putrtocitos/airport, go about 9 km to sign saying Puerticitos and take a left, DO NOT go to the airport.. From here is is another 95 miles to camp. VADO means dip in road and years ago they could and would take your rear axel out, SLOW DOWN for them. At km 60-65 be very careful. When you reach km 134 you went 100 yards too far. Sign to camp will say Campo Turistico and you take a left. Up until now roads are all good at 60 mph unless posted lower and passable by any car. At turn off for camp it is unpaved dirt road, 15-25 mph but bumpy. Camp is about 1/2 mile from main road. I suggest lowering your air pressure at turnoff on your first trip, to about 20 psi WE have compressor in camp. Follow until you crest hill and go down to beach, Restaurant is on your left, follow to beach and turn left before reaching palapas, follow less than 100 yards to my place, as soon as you pass the trees on your left there are two rows with driveway between them you will take a left up a small incline OUR place is on the left. The sand on the beach can be very soft at times. WELCOME TO PARADISE.

Every one going on these trips should print out a copy of this and carry with you JUST INCASE we get separated

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-24-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
buddha

Did you stop for shrimp on your last trip to San Felipe and was the quality good?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Mahigeer

The items in the same "category" are in the same color.

GONZAGA TRIP LIST
A-Ahi rod/Sabiki rigs ---anchor/rope
B- Back support--- bashing club--- BENGAY cream--- bowls ---Boga grip--- braid cutter--- bread ---battery operated fan/extra batteries
C-Cooler/ice ---cigarettes/cigars [lighter/fluid] ---contact lenses/fluid ---compass ---Car GPS ---Cell phone/charger ---Camping chair ---cutting board ---chaise lounge--- cereal ---cot air cushion
D-Dive booties ---diving lures
E-Extension cord ---extra reels
F-Fillet knives-- fishing shirts--- fish clip/rope--- fish finder battery/charger--- --- fishing cover towel--- fly rod/reel/flies/leaders/sinking line ---flash light--- First Aid kit ---Five gallon bucket--- folding table
G-GoPro/battery/charger/harness--- gaff--- Ginger ale--- Ginger pills
H-Hook cutter--- headlamp/charger
I-IPod/charger/waterproof case---ice bottles ---Ibuprofen pills
K-Kayak--- Krocodile lures
L-Line cutter--- lures (Salas, Krocodile, top water)--- leashes--- leader material--- food/drinks for the road--- lantern/tripod/charger
M-Multi-plug strip--- Mexican fishing license--- Meclizine pills---milk--- Misc. chargers--- map to Bob’s house/Gonzaga Bay
N-Net---needle nose plier--- night shortsnote book/pen
P-PFD--- prescription medicine/glasses/sun/regular--- PASSPORT----paddle--- pillow
R-Rods/reels--- VHF radio/charger--- rope/stretch/regular plates/cups/flat wear--- rod belt
S-Sandals---socks ---sun glasses X2/box--- swimming trunks--- sinkers--- swim bait--- steel leader---sleeping bag---- St. Croix rod/Shimano reel/Penn reel---squid jig--- sandwich items/bags--- stove/fuel--- surf fishing tackle
T-Tackle box--- tarp (gray) tent/long stakes/ax ---tie-down straps ---towel toiletry bag--- travel wallet (cash, CC, Kaiser, ATM, AAA, Pesos)---tea/coffee/creamer
U-Underwear--- urine bags
V- Vacuum sealer/bags/cellophane/marker
W-Water---wide brim hat/leash/cap---white towel---whisky
Z-Zippered pants--- zip-lock bags

KAYAK FISHING CHECKLIST FROM THIS WEBSITE
Paddle--- Seat--- Lifejacket--- Rods Tackle--- Leashes (rod and paddle)--- VHF Radio ---Gaff and/or Net ----Bait Tank ---Sabiki Rig ---Battery Water/Food Pliers/Knife Wetsuit/ Waders/ Splash wear ---Sunscreen--- Fish finder--- Camera

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-22-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Dannowar

I don't really mind driving elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
Gr8fuldude

Bob, put me down for the Oct on the FLY trip. I'll turn 50 during that week!

Also I can commit to the April 16 trip as well. Thanks Bob!!!

Paul

Last edited by Gr8fuldude; 10-29-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Paul, you are confirmed for 16 April trip and On the Fly for 2016, welcome aboard! Of course I am sure you will have a better fly reel by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Bob, put me down for the Oct on the FLY trip. I'll turn 50 during that week!

Also I can commit to the April 16 trip as well. Thanks Bob!!!

Paul

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 10-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Baja_Traveler

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Yucatan ( a small fishing village south of Cancun called Puerto Morelos that we are just in love with).

This is a reply to Bobs request for Sentri Info. If you travel the border more than once a year, it is totally worth going through the hoops to get. Border crossings are a complete breeze (crossings that have Sentri lanes that is - Tecate does not - San Ysidro, Otay and Mexicali do).

Another benefit of having one of these Sentri cards is if you are flying into Mexico with the family like I just did - Enter your card number when you book, and you will have a "TSA Pre-Cleared" stamp on your boarding passes. The wife and I just flew through the TSA check lines flying out and coming back - and most airports have a Pre-Check line that hardly anybody is ever in. No taking off your shoes, and no B.S.

If you go through it and get your card - make sure you log into GOES within a week to activate it! Just because they sent it to you does not mean you are good to go like in the past - you'll get immediately diverted into secondary if you do (Don't ask me how I know...)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...tri/sentri.xml

SENTRI Program Description
Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection

(09/03/2013)SENTRI provides expedited CBP processing for pre-approved, low-risk travelers. Applicants must voluntarily undergo a thorough biographical background check against criminal, law enforcement, customs, immigration, and terrorist indices; a 10-fingerprint law enforcement check; and a personal interview with a CBP Officer.

Applicants may not qualify for participation in the SENTRI program if they:
Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges to include outstanding warrants;
Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration, or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
Are subjects of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency;
Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation;
Cannot satisfy CBP of their low risk status or meet other program requirements.

SENTRI was first implemented at the Otay Mesa, California port of entry on November 1, 1995. SENTRI Dedicated Commuter Lanes also exist in El Paso, TX; San Ysidro, CA; Calexico, CA; Nogales, AZ; Hidalgo, TX; Brownsville, TX; Anzalduas, TX; Laredo, TX; San Luis, AZ and Douglas, AZ.

Application Information

Applicants to the SENTRI Program may submit their application online using the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). Once the application is certified as true and complete, it will be submitted to CBP for processing. Applicants can monitor the status of their application by logging back into GOES, and will be advised of "Conditional Approval", or "Denial" through the GOES account posting. A $25 application fee will be charged at the time of application submission.

Step 1
To complete a SENTRI application via the Internet, click on the GOES link to be transferred to the online application.

Step 2
Once notification of conditional approval is received, you will be directed to schedule your appointment online through your GOES account. Applicants have 30 days from that date to schedule an interview. Otherwise, applicants will be denied further enrollment consideration for failure to schedule an interview, which is the final requirement in determining program membership. This denial will not prevent an applicant from submitting a new application in the future. However, a new payment fee will be required. At the time of interview, payment of the fingerprint fee, lane fee, and any additional vehicle fee will be required. Applicants must bring the following original documents with them to the interview. Please ensure the exact documents you provided during the online application are those presented at the time of interview.
Originals of evidence of citizenship that you listed on your application
If not a U.S. citizen, originals of evidence of immigration admissibility to the U.S., that you listed on your application
Valid driver’s license (or state identification) issued in state where applicant lives
Vehicle registration and evidence of US automobile insurance by a company authorized to write automobile insurance in the US.
If the vehicle is not registered in the name of the applicant, a notarized letter authorizing its use by the applicant is required. A company vehicle requires written authorization on company letterhead.
Evidence of employment or financial support. (For instance, most recent years tax return, pay receipt, or direct deposit salary statement. Those self-employed must present a business license, current tax information and bank statement)
Evidence of residence, (Mortgage or rent payment receipts)

During the Interview, information provided on the application will be verified and upon acceptance, CBP will:
Take a photograph of applicant for identification card purposes
Take applicant’s fingerprint
Provide terms and conditions of the program
Answer any questions the applicant may have
Issue an RFID enabled identification document

The Enrollment Process and SENTRI Enrollment Centers

Applicants who do not have access to a computer with an Internet connection, may complete the CBP SENTRI program application Form 823S. SENTRI applicants will also need to apply for Dedicated Commuter Lane (DCL) access. Please read the instructions for Form 823S carefully and fill out items 1-12 AND the section titled, “DEDICATED COMMUTER LANE PARTICIPANTS” found on page 7 of Form 823S. ( CBP Form 823S - SENTRI Application )

Visits to the enrollment centers will be by appointment only. To schedule your appointment, please schedule online, or call the nearest enrollment center. ( SENTRI Enrollment Centers )

Required Fees

Application Fee: $25.00 per person (or a maximum of $50.00 total for husband, wife and minor children)

Fingerprint Fee: $14.50 (applicants 14 years and older)

System Costs Fee: $80.00 per person (or a maximum of $160.00 total for a husband, wife and minor children)

Total Fee: $122.25 per person

If an approved participant wishes to register more than one vehicle for use in the SENTRI DCL lane (maximum of 4 vehicles), or an approved participant wishes to be registered in more than one vehicle (maximum of 8 persons per vehicle), an additional fee of $42.00 per vehicle will be assessed. Enrollees will be charged a $25.00 replacement fee for a lost, stolen, or destroyed card and a $42.00 replacement fee for a lost, stolen or destroyed vehicle ID tag.

Payment of fees may be made online, or by cash, check, money order, Master Card, VISA and American Express at the Local Enrollment Center. A $30.00 charge is imposed if a check is not honored by the bank on which it was drawn. All fees are non-refundable.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Trip price breakdown

With the new truck, riding with Makobob.

Fuel me plus 1 your share $60, me plus 2 your share $40.
Water for showers and toilet flush $5.00 for the week
Food for 6 at restaurant including a drink each $40.00, plus meat
Your drinks??? $20-40.00
Ice, misc $25.00
Total LESS than $200

If you watch your pennies this trip should not cost you $300 for a week in paradise.

What are YOU waiting for? Schedule for 2016 posted as 1st post in this thread. Tight Lines and Fishy Dreams.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
greenscales
greenscales

Bob and Rossman - thanks. Had a great time last week. (Rossman -can you shoot me a pic of my YT in the yak?)
After talking to Jim and wondering what EastLos thought - I would be willing to plan a trip to Punta Baja sometime next year. An hour South of San Quintin, so 3-4 days. Not looking at your list, 4th of July would work. The water is cool and keeps the peninsula nice during the summer. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449188614.173972.jpgOnly an hour North of Catvina dessert for a PM trip if the winds are up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449188587.946569.jpg. I probably C&R 50 Cabrilla 2-8lbs in bad winds both Sat and Sun on jigs, kept 10 Reds a few big goats and a few smaller Calicos. $10 a night for a room and good home cooking cheap. They felt I was overpaying for dinner, breakfast, and a 1
Night for $20. But we need a Spanish speaker.
I will try to get to Puerto Santo Tomas in the next few months. Just below Ensenada, but at least 1 1/2 hours more do to length of dirt road. Easy 3 day and beautiful. Bough heart issues was getting thorough the kelp at the launch, but El Niño should limit that the year ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449189112.191054.jpg Looking for input.

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Depending on dates I would be up for that.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
greenscales
greenscales

"Bough heart issues was getting thorough the kelp at the launch, but El Niño should limit that the year". Was supposed to be 'But the hard part was....' Typing while buzzed is always dangerous.

The 4th of July falls on a Monday - so allows a 3-4 day trip easily to either Santo Tomas (coastal kelp and rocks w/ Lings, WSB, Cabezon, etc.) - beautiful but far from town, you do not leave until you are ready to go home. Or Punta Baja (big bay and open water reef w/almost no sportfishing pressure), close to El Socorro, San Quintin, and Catavina Desert. Determine which location 3 months prior based upon El Nino, erc.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #16
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I might be interested in hooking up with a group at Punta Baja. Spent the night there on the way down to Asuncion last thanksgiving. Camped by some abandoned buildings out on the point. Good looking area. How many rooms are available there?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I might be interested in hooking up with a group at Punta Baja. Spent the night there on the way down to Asuncion last thanksgiving. Camped by some abandoned buildings out on the point. Good looking area. How many rooms are available there?
Punta Baja! Let's go!

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #18
greenscales
greenscales

If one of the Spanish speakers wants - PM me and I will get you Chuy's phone # in Punta Baja

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
If one of the Spanish speakers wants - PM me and I will get you Chuy's phone # in Punta Baja

CHUY!!!! EL CHUY!?

Es Mi Carnal!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
greenscales
greenscales

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449778619.027488.jpg
Rossman's pic of my YT