Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
DanaPT

Dand PT 07/19/18

I hope this is useful for anyone planning on heading out to DP. I went out around 5 pm on Thursday. Water was warm (by touch) and bumpy. Never really settled down, odd given that wind wasn't bad and the surf was micro. The high tide had just finished, seemed like plenty of water moving. the sea lions and dolphins were feeding.

because the sailing club was out in full force near the mile markers I fished the headlands near the red bouey. I didn't want to run the risk on being "sailed over" or deal with that kind of traffic.

Easy bait to make, mix of spanish and bigger model green backs. Two solid hook ups that I determined to be sharks of some sort. Felt the fish take the bait, run and then as I began to reel er in, big bendo then snap.

Current/breeze kept me moving around. and ended up with a twisted mess. I really need to invest in some rod holders to keep them out and away from one another.

moved inside to the kelp for some calico action for about 30 minutes. small takers on the swim bait, nothing too exciting but quite satisfying somehow. nothing beats a sunset or sunrise on the water.

So, now up to you... show me how it's done!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
GTboosted

Thanks for the report.

Those runs make it fun and worth it to be out there. Having the right fish on the other end is even better but at least you get excited for a bit
Old 07-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Thanks for the report, I might go out this weekend. Launching at 5 and having time to hit the headlands is awesome. The latest I've launched is 3, with plenty of daylight left in the summer.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
MaskedFisherDude

Thanks for the report I was going to fish today but heard that a 14ft great White was off the point this week and figured I’d sleep in.
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedFisherDude View Post
Thanks for the report I was going to fish today but heard that a 14ft great White was off the point this week and figured I’d sleep in.
I read that too, but after the fact. The GWS was near DP but article suggested it is now down by the San Clemente pier feeding on a dead whale.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...ente-pier/amp/

You shoulda gone what are the odds it eat you?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
jbl_91762

Thanks for the post, Im fishing this Sunday just undecided where. DP is a but further but dont seem its biting. Same for NPH, so I may hit the sewer or MDR>
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I read that too, but after the fact. The GWS was near DP but article suggested it is now down by the San Clemente pier feeding on a dead whale.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...ente-pier/amp/

You shoulda gone what are the odds it eat you?
Probably a whole lot to one. The wife was the one who said no go.
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedFisherDude View Post
Probably a whole lot to one. The wife was the one who said no go.
Yep, I get the same, from the wife, when there's a shark report. I try to tell her the sharks have always been there, and that's it's just easier for people to report them. And of course easier to get that information to the general public. I've been surfing and fishing Socal Beaches for the better part of 25 years, and haven't ever seen a shark. Of course who knows how many have seen me? But if none have taken a bite yet, I'm figuring my odds a also a whole lot to one. Stay calm and Fish on. I'll probably soil myself the day a shark does a drive by while I'm fishing in the Yak. If it happens when I'm surfing I'll be walking on water.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
DPevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Two solid hook ups that I determined to be sharks of some sort. Felt the fish take the bait, run and then as I began to reel er in, big bendo then snap.
Was out the same day/time on a boat just a bit north of where you were. Same depth my buddy and I had 6 smooth hounds between us in like 30 min. If you were fishing on the bottom probably what you had break you off. Seemed like there were out in force.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
Vikingj

Thanks for report Manny. I was out at the headlands the day before and another yak had caught 2 sharks and had another break off. Thats why I was so surprised at my WSB catch.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote