Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
goldenglory18

MDR - 8/20/17

Had a spare Sunday morning and decided to hit Marina Del Rey for a few hours. Out and on the water at safelight, I paddled straight for the break wall. Swell was manageable but the skies stayed dark for most of the morning. Swinging for homeruns, I had an expectedly slow day with little success up until the sun finally broke through the marine layer. Once again, the south end of the break wall is where I found my bite.

I had four REALLY strong bites and only this one checker board to show for it. Personal Best Calico!

The other three fish took the bait and dragged me directly into the rocks. These bass are so impressive!

I’m not sure what to do about this situation in the future. My drag was set tight, rod was flexed, and the only resistance I was giving the fish was the boat. Bite, set the hook, and off into the rocks they went dragging me through the water. The only reason I got the one I landed was I fought my way around the hole he was hiding in and eventually got him out (my line looked like hell. LOL) The others were just not giving me anything and eventually broke off. My broken fluorocarbon looked like a half eaten string cheese.

Boat traffic was awful so I headed back in around 11:30.

Final fish count:
1 short Spottie
1 short Halibut
2 short Calicos
1 legal Calico - PB!

Rig of the day:
7' MH Okuma Helios, Quantum Smoke Inshore, 10lbs Trilene 100% Gold Box 16" leader drop shot with a 3/4oz football head weight. 3” shad top bait and 5” shad bottom.

As for the break offs, what would you guys recommend I try in the future? Upping my line weight? Switching to a heavier rod? Stop fishing around structure? It was so frustrating finally getting on really good bites and they kept dragging me into the exact same hole.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote