Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
EVS911

Newport Harbor, CDM 9/7

On the water by 645...good going out and made bait....slight bites by the barg...decied to make my way out of the jetty towards the pier....by 830 peak high tide and 3-5 foot swells started coming in...after being rocked alittle bit...with some sea sickness (newbie)....made my way back to the coast guard station...my buddy on a outback fished the boat docks near the USCG station...next thing I know...he flipped...he was able to get back in....but lost about 5-600 dollars in gear...me being sick, him losing his gear ...called it a day by 1130...next stop to the kayak store for rod holders....

So in general...no love in CDM or Newport Beach..but gardian angel was watching with some signs....
EVS911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
old_rookie

That sucks to loose gear. I lost a $20 net and was ticked about that can't imagine $500 worth.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
jorluivil

I just picked up a pack of 8 tarp/canopy bungees at Home Depot to use as leashes, cheap investment. Bummer, sounds like he lost everything. Its not easy getting back on the yak after its tossed, takes all your energy away.

My buddy was tossed while landing at LJ a few weeks ago, he decided he didn't need to tie anything down before we launched and he paid for it when he got tossed. Fortunately, for him, there were a bunch of yak renters that helped him gather his gear before the Sea Gods could take it. After doing inventory all he lost was his box of lead and a second cell phone was ruined, he bought one of those cheap boxes at Walmart, when he opened the box it was full of water.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
bentrod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVS911 View Post
On the water by 645...good going out and made bait....slight bites by the barg...decied to make my way out of the jetty towards the pier....by 830 peak high tide and 3-5 foot swells started coming in...after being rocked alittle bit...with some sea sickness (newbie)....made my way back to the coast guard station...my buddy on a outback fished the boat docks near the USCG station...next thing I know...he flipped...he was able to get back in....but lost about 5-600 dollars in gear...me being sick, him losing his gear ...called it a day by 1130...next stop to the kayak store for rod holders....

So in general...no love in CDM or Newport Beach..but gardian angel was watching with some signs....
What kind of bait did you make and how did your buddy flip his yak in the harbor?

...Just curious so I don't do it - I really haven't thought about tying down my gear when fishing the harbor but, as I've been reading lately, it seems anything can happen no matter where we're fishing.
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
EVS911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod1 View Post
What kind of bait did you make and how did your buddy flip his yak in the harbor?

...Just curious so I don't do it - I really haven't thought about tying down my gear when fishing the harbor but, as I've been reading lately, it seems anything can happen no matter where we're fishing.

Sardines, Anchovies....some macs as well all around the bait barge...you can get a "kayak" scoop for 10.00 which you can pick if you want sard, ancho, or squid...

As for flipping his kayak...not sure how it happened...I think he was hook on some eel grass, maybe leaned over so much that a wave finally pushed him over....it was rippen that day...so moral of the story,,,,make sure your stuff is tied down tightly....and if you have a hobie....secure the mirage drive as well...500.00 for a replacement.....
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Slappy

Bait Barge / Bad info

There is no 10 dollar scoop for squid. He only charges the full price of 60 bucks.

Fin bait is 10 bucks for kayaks
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Gigafish

Brutal, Yeah thats how much I lost when I was new to kayakfishing. It's funny thinking back how many times I tested the kayak for stabily before I bought it. I never did tie anything down either.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
EVS911

Your right on the squid...expensive.....frozen works just as well.......
Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
SeaEagle_1

sounds like a ruff day out on the water. newport has been a bit strange lately, cold and tuff. but my questions, how do you flip an outback?
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
EVS911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaEagle_1 View Post
sounds like a ruff day out on the water. newport has been a bit strange lately, cold and tuff. but my questions, how do you flip an outback?
my buddy stated that he was hooked on something when he leaned over and put his hand up then "bubbles" so he says it happened so fast....
Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Gino

Did you guys even try looking for it? If i had read this sooner Id have gone down and took a swim. Its only 12 feet deep there...

i gotta get me some floaties and a mask/snorkle
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
MVC

I lost a new Curado and rod near the docks just before the rocks. I tried to swim for it but there was alot of current and very little visability. I came back a couple of days letter and the water was clear. I could see the rod and reel on the bottom and was able to snag it with a treble hook. I had the reel serviced and it is still as good as new.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote